997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

997.2 LED Interior Lights

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-11-2011, 07:16 PM
dallascajun has a brilliant futuredallascajun has a brilliant futuredallascajun has a brilliant futuredallascajun has a brilliant futuredallascajun has a brilliant futuredallascajun has a brilliant futuredallascajun has a brilliant futuredallascajun has a brilliant futuredallascajun has a brilliant futuredallascajun has a brilliant futuredallascajun has a brilliant future
Resistors

Ok, I swapped out the Front Sidemarkers with amber LEDs, but I'm now getting the error messages to check the front sidemarkers. Is this something that resistors can resolve? If so:

* which ones?
* where do you get them?
* how do you install them?

The tool on superbrightleds.com shows the following light to use for this application. Has anyone else used a different light? I might order a 2821 amber replacement from vleds.com.

http://www.superbrightleds.com/cgi-b...FWLED-xHP5.htm

Old 09-12-2011, 11:59 AM
Arerrac911 has a brilliant futureArerrac911 has a brilliant futureArerrac911 has a brilliant futureArerrac911 has a brilliant futureArerrac911 has a brilliant futureArerrac911 has a brilliant futureArerrac911 has a brilliant futureArerrac911 has a brilliant futureArerrac911 has a brilliant futureArerrac911 has a brilliant futureArerrac911 has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by dallascajun
Ok, I swapped out the Front Sidemarkers with amber LEDs, but I'm now getting the error messages to check the front sidemarkers. Is this something that resistors can resolve? If so:

* which ones?
* where do you get them?
* how do you install them?

The tool on superbrightleds.com shows the following light to use for this application. Has anyone else used a different light? I might order a 2821 amber replacement from vleds.com.

http://www.superbrightleds.com/cgi-b...FWLED-xHP5.htm
A pair of 25ohm 25W resistors should do the trick, assuming those sidemarkers use 5W wedge bulbs. Vleds has them http://www.v-leds.com/resistors-flas...istor-kit.html
Installation is the tricky part, mount them somewhere inside the bumper I suppose, away from plastic parts!

You could also try "canbus error free" LEDs (ebay?), they have built-in resistors.

Last edited by Arerrac911; 09-12-2011 at 12:01 PM.
Old 09-15-2011, 06:12 AM
JPSJR can only hope to improve
Elusive, thanks for the info, but when I click on the bulbs you ordered it doesn't open? Can you help with more info? Thanks, I will +1 on the rep points.

Joe

Old 09-15-2011, 06:25 AM
dallascajun has a brilliant futuredallascajun has a brilliant futuredallascajun has a brilliant futuredallascajun has a brilliant futuredallascajun has a brilliant futuredallascajun has a brilliant futuredallascajun has a brilliant futuredallascajun has a brilliant futuredallascajun has a brilliant futuredallascajun has a brilliant futuredallascajun has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by Arerrac911
A pair of 25ohm 25W resistors should do the trick, assuming those sidemarkers use 5W wedge bulbs. Vleds has them http://www.v-leds.com/resistors-flas...istor-kit.html
Installation is the tricky part, mount them somewhere inside the bumper I suppose, away from plastic parts!

You could also try "canbus error free" LEDs (ebay?), they have built-in resistors.
Thanks. I'm going to try the Error-Free types first. Not too hip on installing the resistors and then be concerned about mounting and heat issues just for my side markers.

Old 09-15-2011, 06:32 AM
ELUSIVE will become famous soon enoughELUSIVE will become famous soon enough
Originally Posted by JPSJR
Elusive, thanks for the info, but when I click on the bulbs you ordered it doesn't open? Can you help with more info? Thanks, I will +1 on the rep points.

Joe
Sorry about that. VLEDS has been changing their website around and the links must have died. I have updated the original post with updated links.

Old 09-15-2011, 07:06 AM
Elusive your the man! Thanks, I just ordered them, Thanks for the fast response. Did any codes come up when you did swap?
Joe

Old 09-15-2011, 07:07 AM
Thumbs up

Elusive, BTW I rep you +1

Old 09-15-2011, 08:20 AM
Former Vendor
Hoen will become famous soon enough
Guys, exterior applications of LEDs will throw codes most of the time. Fair warning with the error free also, some of them run VERY hot just like an in line resistor would, we have temperature tested many bulbs, some of which look identical and they vary considerably (50-100 degrees).

Old 09-15-2011, 09:32 AM
You're very welcome. No codes for the internal lights at all. Hope you like it. I think it really modernizes the inside of the car.

Old 09-15-2011, 10:12 AM
Hoen I'm using the LED's for interior lights, as far as the exterior ones I just ordered your LED lights for the rear plate.

Old 09-15-2011, 12:34 PM
tbsb9595 is on a distinguished road
The leds look great!

Old 09-18-2011, 03:04 AM
YseanY will become famous soon enough
Originally Posted by dallascajun
Scratch that, I was able to get to the Vanity and Footwell lights. Finally figured out how to undo the Footwell housing and got those done.

Now...the Vanity. It seems as though the Vanity lights from vleds are only 29mm long whereas the oem lights are 36mm long. So...the new LEDs are much too short to fit in that spot. Doesn't seem to be another length of LED Vanity light, but I'm going to search. I did try some of the 3610 Festoons, but they are too WIDE (10mm LED vs 6mm OEM), so they don't fit in that space.

Damn it's hot in that garage...

BTW: GEAUX TIGERS!!!
how did you change bulbs in the vanity lights? does the plastic piece just snap off?

Old 09-18-2011, 07:48 AM
Originally Posted by YseanY
how did you change bulbs in the vanity lights? does the plastic piece just snap off?
It's one of the trickier pieces, but just needs some clever changes. I'm traveling for a few days, so no pics available until mid-week.

Here you go:

* Raise the vanity cover (the lights turn on automatically)
* You will see a crease that runs around the entire vanity assembly (Oval in shape)
* Use a flathead to pop that piece up, from the top of the assembly. It's held together from the bottom, so you need to make sure to pop it up from the top
* the oem lights are very close to fuse-type bulbs, but they have pointed ends making them 36mm instead of 29mm like the fuse-type led replacements.
* the oem lights are held in place in a tension-like fashion by two metal strips, but the pointed ends stick through holes in the metal strip.
* remove the one lights
* reposition the metal strips by switching their position relative to the plastic tips that hold them in place, reducing the spaces between the strips
* place the led lights in-between the strips about where the oem lights were originally set. make sure there is enough tension from the metal strips to hold them in place
* reassemble everything

I searched for lights that would fit better, but most 36mm LEDs (with pointed ends) were far too thick. the oem lights are about 6mm wide, but most of the LEDs are at least 10mm wide. So they were too thick to fit in that space.

I hope that helps.

Old 09-18-2011, 06:07 PM
Ok, I don't know you guys that well yet, being a little bit of a newbie to the site, but I hate all of you guys that started this thread!!! LMAO! I have spent over $480.00 on f---ing LED bulbs in a matter of 1 week! The Touareg takes 20 bulbs alone! Plus I did the other cars in the garage! It is so addictive that it's not even funny! Elusive you were right, it really is addictive! Love ya for starting this thread and all those who added to it!

Joe

Old 09-18-2011, 09:35 PM
Originally Posted by jpsjr
ok, i don't know you guys that well yet, being a little bit of a newbie to the site, but i hate all of you guys that started this thread!!! Lmao! I have spent over $480.00 on f---ing led bulbs in a matter of 1 week! The touareg takes 20 bulbs alone! Plus i did the other cars in the garage! It is so addictive that it's not even funny! Elusive you were right, it really is addictive! Love ya for starting this thread and all those who added to it!

Joe
lol. :d
I spent about that much. My wife has forbid me from touching her Audi...

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: 997.2 LED Interior Lights