997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

[help needed] Fix velcro clips under rear seat

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-09-2013, 10:59 AM
Ale_72 has much to be proud ofAle_72 has much to be proud ofAle_72 has much to be proud ofAle_72 has much to be proud ofAle_72 has much to be proud ofAle_72 has much to be proud ofAle_72 has much to be proud ofAle_72 has much to be proud ofAle_72 has much to be proud of
[help needed] Fix velcro clips under rear seat

Ciao,
first of all try to forgive my explanation that will be horrible
I have stolen here and there a couple of pics to try to explain.

While removing the lower part of the rear seat (driver side, left hand drive car) the pastic part with velcro named B has remained attached to part A.
I took them apart and I tried to pull the B part into the (nylon?) lock washers C (they are still in the right position) under the car carpet.
Even pressing quite hard I was not able to clip them in.
I guess that I need to remove the rear carpet...
Does anybody has the Porsche instructions or some DIY thread I can refer to?
Thanks in advance.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	2mwdvfk.jpg
Views:	4008
Size:	226.0 KB
ID:	209795  
Old 02-09-2013, 02:33 PM
Super Adjuster has a spectacular aura aboutSuper Adjuster has a spectacular aura about
The same thing happened to my seat a while back, but I forgot about it. I would like to know the fix for this too.

Old 02-10-2013, 03:01 AM
johnnyb2016 is on a distinguished road
Removing the rear carpet is major surgery.
Both 1/4 panels neet to come out, the centre console, Bose amp and ECU carpet, rear seat backs, etc.
I had it all out to replace mine after someone had ripped it previously.

Old 02-10-2013, 09:57 AM
IslandS62 is a glorious beacon of lightIslandS62 is a glorious beacon of lightIslandS62 is a glorious beacon of lightIslandS62 is a glorious beacon of lightIslandS62 is a glorious beacon of light
this happened to me also. I made small incisions with a razor in the carpet behind part B. This allowed me to get a screwdriver under the carpet to position and place upward pressure on the nylon washers and to snap them back into part B. The carpet cuts are invisible and covered by the rear seat cushion when in place.

Last edited by IslandS62; 02-10-2013 at 11:33 AM.
Old 02-10-2013, 10:39 AM
Ale_72 has much to be proud ofAle_72 has much to be proud ofAle_72 has much to be proud ofAle_72 has much to be proud ofAle_72 has much to be proud ofAle_72 has much to be proud ofAle_72 has much to be proud ofAle_72 has much to be proud ofAle_72 has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by IslandS62
this happened to me also. I made small small incisions with a razor in the carpet behind part B. This allowed me to get a screwdriver under the carpet to position and place upward pressure on the nylon washers, and to snap them back into part B. The carpet cuts are invisible and covered by the rear seat cushion when in place.
Very good idea. REP+
I need to investigate how to do it. You cut it on the side nearer to the front seat on on the other side?

Old 02-10-2013, 11:31 AM
IslandS62 is a glorious beacon of lightIslandS62 is a glorious beacon of lightIslandS62 is a glorious beacon of lightIslandS62 is a glorious beacon of lightIslandS62 is a glorious beacon of light
if I recall, the shape of the metal in that location makes it hard to approach from the front with the screwdriver. I made cuts from the rear (toward the engine). it took me 5-10 mins to reattach the parts from there.

Old 02-10-2013, 11:34 AM
Seems easy.
Next week end, if the weather is decent (my garage space is very tiny) I'll try solve it.

Old 08-12-2018, 11:59 PM
Skidly is an unknown quantity at this point
There is another way.

To describe I need to label the holes from the side window 1 2 and 3 and the clip pins in the top plastic piece in the same order.

I was able to slide a 12 mm open ended spanner under the washer in hole 3 by inserting it in via hole 2. With this under the washer I was able to push the third clip pin in.

I was then able to slide the same 12 mm open ended spanner under the washer in hole 2 by inserting it in via hole 1. With this under the washer I was able to push the second clip in.

I was then able to maneuver a thick washer, that I made from a piece of 6 mm thick nylon under the washer in hole 1 by first sliding this washer out the way and then positioning the nylon washer in place and then sliding the big washer back over the top. This took a bit of patience! With this in I was able to push the first clip pin in.

At this point with a bit of judicious tapping and prodding on the carpet I was able to maneuver the nylon washer to fall forward under the carpet into the foot well. By lifting the trailing edge of the carpet in the foot well where it meets the separate vertical piece (it's not glue down on fastened) I was able to get my hand in and retrieve the nylon washer.

Yep a bit fiddly and took a couple of goes but not holes in the carpet where there shouldn't be.

Last edited by Skidly; 08-13-2018 at 12:02 AM.
Old 12-12-2020, 10:47 AM
boxtaboy has much to be proud ofboxtaboy has much to be proud ofboxtaboy has much to be proud ofboxtaboy has much to be proud ofboxtaboy has much to be proud ofboxtaboy has much to be proud ofboxtaboy has much to be proud ofboxtaboy has much to be proud of
Sorry for bringing this thread back alive from the dead, but I realized I had this exact same problem with my 997 cab. One of my rear cab seat bottoms seemed loose when I lifted it up and then I noticed 2 of the 3 clips on the Velcro strip was undone. Reading your post, I was able to get a 2nd clip back in place using a small wrench to hold the plastic washer up to the clip via the 3rd hole and so now I have 2 of the 3 clipped in. I am too lazy to try to get the third one clipped in with your described method of reattaching the 3rd one but I think 2 of 3 is secure enough and the seat bottom is not loose anymore. Thanks for your solution without having to cut into the carpet!

Originally Posted by Skidly
There is another way.

To describe I need to label the holes from the side window 1 2 and 3 and the clip pins in the top plastic piece in the same order.

I was able to slide a 12 mm open ended spanner under the washer in hole 3 by inserting it in via hole 2. With this under the washer I was able to push the third clip pin in.

I was then able to slide the same 12 mm open ended spanner under the washer in hole 2 by inserting it in via hole 1. With this under the washer I was able to push the second clip in.

I was then able to maneuver a thick washer, that I made from a piece of 6 mm thick nylon under the washer in hole 1 by first sliding this washer out the way and then positioning the nylon washer in place and then sliding the big washer back over the top. This took a bit of patience! With this in I was able to push the first clip pin in.

At this point with a bit of judicious tapping and prodding on the carpet I was able to maneuver the nylon washer to fall forward under the carpet into the foot well. By lifting the trailing edge of the carpet in the foot well where it meets the separate vertical piece (it's not glue down on fastened) I was able to get my hand in and retrieve the nylon washer.

Yep a bit fiddly and took a couple of goes but not holes in the carpet where there shouldn't be.

Old 12-13-2020, 06:50 AM
red330I is on a distinguished road
I replaced a few of these on a 996TT that I owned years ago and was able to do it without cutting anything.

If the 997 is similar to the 996, you should be able to lift up the carpet where it meets floor and slide your arm underneath to gain access to the plastic washers.

Old 12-13-2020, 10:27 AM
boxtaboy has much to be proud ofboxtaboy has much to be proud ofboxtaboy has much to be proud ofboxtaboy has much to be proud ofboxtaboy has much to be proud ofboxtaboy has much to be proud ofboxtaboy has much to be proud ofboxtaboy has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by red330I
I replaced a few of these on a 996TT that I owned years ago and was able to do it without cutting anything.

If the 997 is similar to the 996, you should be able to lift up the carpet where it meets floor and slide your arm underneath to gain access to the plastic washers.
Thanks, I tried that first, but couldn’t figure out a way to pull up the carpet from underneath. Did you have to pull up the floor carpet first and then pull out the carpet that is vertical to get under, cause the vertical carpet doesn’t seem to want to move. Anyway, I’m good now with 2 of the clips secured now though. Seat bottom is not loose anymore.