997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

duck tail finals

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-21-2018, 06:35 AM
AHudson is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally Posted by qikqbn
well, if you look closely at the side view and rear 3/4 view pic you can see how nicely the 3rd brake light area is pretty flush with the leading edge of the rear deck lid/duck tail. In most cases, without adjustment, the 1/8 to 1/4 inch thickness of the misha duck tail will seem taller at that transition. So if you were sliding your hand from the 3rd brake light area on to the duck tail you would feel a slightly taller lip at the leading edge.. Which gives away that fact that the duck tail is sitting on top of the decklid. By making the proper adjustments you can lower that leading edge so now it is a smooth transition from body to deck lid... I hope that makes sense... I attached a photo showing the not so flush vs flush with a little adjustment..
Hello 6 Speeders, first time poster on this site. (Lordy, I first wrote 'first time poser', that would've been a bad start.) Anyway -
Hi There,

I read your posts about 'lowering' the front edge of your Misha tail. That is THE thing that bugged me about mine (still uninstalled) and so I wanted to ask for clarification from you since yours looks absolutely fantastic. It is so much cleaner.

I can tell that there are pairs of adjustment holes per side in my 997.2 GTS decklid brackets. You mentioned enlarging the holes 'toward the back of the car'. However, it seems that I'd enlarge the front most holes ''toward the ground' to sink the lid lower, right? That's what threw me.

Was yours on a 997.2?

Any clarification would be super helpful before I wallow out the hole in the wrong way!

Realizing this thread/quote is pretty old, am looking for answers from anyone who's made this adjustment. Thanks to all.

Old 02-21-2018, 09:31 AM
SoCal C2S is on a distinguished road

I agree......

Old 02-21-2018, 11:28 AM
qikqbn has much to be proud ofqikqbn has much to be proud ofqikqbn has much to be proud ofqikqbn has much to be proud ofqikqbn has much to be proud ofqikqbn has much to be proud ofqikqbn has much to be proud ofqikqbn has much to be proud ofqikqbn has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by AHudson
Hello 6 Speeders, first time poster on this site. (Lordy, I first wrote 'first time poser', that would've been a bad start.) Anyway -
Hi There,

I read your posts about 'lowering' the front edge of your Misha tail. That is THE thing that bugged me about mine (still uninstalled) and so I wanted to ask for clarification from you since yours looks absolutely fantastic. It is so much cleaner.

I can tell that there are pairs of adjustment holes per side in my 997.2 GTS decklid brackets. You mentioned enlarging the holes 'toward the back of the car'. However, it seems that I'd enlarge the front most holes ''toward the ground' to sink the lid lower, right? That's what threw me.

Was yours on a 997.2?

Any clarification would be super helpful before I wallow out the hole in the wrong way!

Realizing this thread/quote is pretty old, am looking for answers from anyone who's made this adjustment. Thanks to all.

Yes, you are partially correct in your thinking. I used a circular file to enlarge the holes. Downward to allow the ability to sink the lid lower. This is true, but what I discovered after doing that first is that the way the deck lid pivots and swings up will squeeze, scratch and damage your Misha ducktail as you swing the lid up without further adjustment. This is the reason it is important and you must enlarge the holes a bit towards the back of the car as well. The closing edge of your decklid should still remain flush with your rear bumper so I am not suggesting you give your rear decklid an overbite on the rear bumper just enough so that you can make micro adjustments and make absolutely sure you don't accidentally sandwich or squeeze the misha tail along that leading edge. the corners there are fragile and paint will chip if you are not careful.. I hope that helps!!

Old 02-21-2018, 03:20 PM
myw
myw is a splendid one to beholdmyw is a splendid one to beholdmyw is a splendid one to beholdmyw is a splendid one to beholdmyw is a splendid one to beholdmyw is a splendid one to beholdmyw is a splendid one to behold
keep this thread alive ! its really pushing me to hunt for a used getty!

Old 02-21-2018, 08:54 PM
AHudson is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally Posted by qikqbn
Yes, you are partially correct in your thinking. I used a circular file to enlarge the holes. Downward to allow the ability to sink the lid lower. This is true, but what I discovered after doing that first is that the way the deck lid pivots and swings up will squeeze, scratch and damage your Misha ducktail as you swing the lid up without further adjustment. This is the reason it is important and you must enlarge the holes a bit towards the back of the car as well. The closing edge of your decklid should still remain flush with your rear bumper so I am not suggesting you give your rear decklid an overbite on the rear bumper just enough so that you can make micro adjustments and make absolutely sure you don't accidentally sandwich or squeeze the misha tail along that leading edge. the corners there are fragile and paint will chip if you are not careful.. I hope that helps!!
Bingo. I get it. Thank you a ton for this clarification. Well, more than that is the 'why' behind it. Really appreciate your seeing a great way to resolve an issue that looms large to the OCD among us. And honestly, if Porsche isn't OCD, nobody is! Thanks again.

Old 08-08-2018, 06:29 PM
shyamvenky has a reputation beyond reputeshyamvenky has a reputation beyond reputeshyamvenky has a reputation beyond reputeshyamvenky has a reputation beyond reputeshyamvenky has a reputation beyond reputeshyamvenky has a reputation beyond reputeshyamvenky has a reputation beyond reputeshyamvenky has a reputation beyond reputeshyamvenky has a reputation beyond reputeshyamvenky has a reputation beyond reputeshyamvenky has a reputation beyond repute
hmm.. so there's no manufacturer that makes a version of the ducktail that can just replace the spoiler alone and still be tall enough to need it's own brake light?
Basically.. one that is installed like a Misha tail, but is taller like a Getty tail.. or is this asking too much??

Old 08-10-2018, 10:25 AM
jq911 is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally Posted by platinum997.2

who makes this mini duck? I like the singer type swoosh rendering

Last edited by jq911; 08-12-2018 at 09:30 AM.
Old 08-10-2018, 05:49 PM
shyamvenky has a reputation beyond reputeshyamvenky has a reputation beyond reputeshyamvenky has a reputation beyond reputeshyamvenky has a reputation beyond reputeshyamvenky has a reputation beyond reputeshyamvenky has a reputation beyond reputeshyamvenky has a reputation beyond reputeshyamvenky has a reputation beyond reputeshyamvenky has a reputation beyond reputeshyamvenky has a reputation beyond reputeshyamvenky has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by jq911
who make this mini duck? I like the singer type swoosh rendering
This was a oneoff, custom spoiler that @platinum997.2 made for his car.

Here's the post: https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...ml#post4616655

Old 09-29-2018, 09:49 AM
joee76 is on a distinguished road
Do you happen to have a link to this mesh ? I couldn't find it

Originally Posted by QWKSLVRNSX
We need to meet up sometime Philly. You can check out my Getty in person and my 997 is also white.

The Misha design is pretty ingenious in that it is a very streamlined design; replacing just the wing and not the entire trunk & uses factory vent scoops. I chose the Getty b/c it's true to OEM and the proportions are spot on in terms of curvature, angle, thickness- that's what she said, haha.
The Misha looks thinner, sits closer to horizontal and further back. I guess it looks more like the OEM 991 style ducktail in that respect.

One last detail…if you go with Getty, the vent insert included is the typical mesh/ chicken wire you can get from Home Depot and it's spray painted black & chips easily. I ended up sourcing a nice sheet of mesh from Amazon and it is anodized black and looks the sort of mesh design that would have come from the factory. Here's the difference:

BEFORE:
Attachment 492548

AFTER:
Attachment 492549

Old 03-23-2019, 07:10 PM
6XO911S is an unknown quantity at this point
Ducktail