997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

SUCCESS! 991 Sports Lip installed on 997.2

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 4.50 average.

Old 11-22-2015, 05:31 PM
EMC2 has much to be proud ofEMC2 has much to be proud ofEMC2 has much to be proud ofEMC2 has much to be proud ofEMC2 has much to be proud ofEMC2 has much to be proud ofEMC2 has much to be proud ofEMC2 has much to be proud ofEMC2 has much to be proud of
SUCCESS! 991 Sports Lip installed on 997.2

I've been looking for front lip options for some time (as many of us have).
After validating that the 991 front lip width was approximately the same as the 997.2 base Carrera, I decided to take a chance and buy one.

The part is referred to as the SPASM front lip with part number:

991505525011E0

It was definitely not a direct fit, but I will explain what I did.

1) I cut the top portion of the 997.2 base front lip (this is the piece that has all the mounting clips that slide into the bumper itself)
2) I trimmed/skimmed some of the tabs on top of the 991 lip to create a surface that was as flat as possible
3) I then attached the 997.2 piece from point 1 above, to the top of the 991 Lip, using JB Weld and a lot of rivets.
4) sprayed the new section black just to tidy it up (even though it would not be visible once installed)

Original 991 part - view from top

After attaching the top of the 997.2 lip

5) I placed some rectangular plastic tubing at the top of the lip as shown by the dotted rectangular line. Retained with cable ties.
This essentially wedges between the top of the triangular tabs on the the lip, and the underside of the 997.2 bumper. This is very important because it stops the center of the lip from being able to twist and flex at high speed. (in the 991 these tabs appear to rest against the bumper to achieve the same result.

6) You will see that the 991 lip has two extensions at each end. You need to fasten these with a bit of customization:
- I therefore cut a few very small rectangular openings (5mm x 5mm) in the base of the bumper with a Dremel (just large enough to get strong cable ties through. These cable ties were then looped through the existing openings on the 991 lip shown in the attached pic.

7) On the driver's side (LHD) of the bumper I cut one additional similar small hole in the wing of the lip and the corresponding location on the underside of the 997.2 bumper.
I also cut off the last tab from the top of the 997.2 mounting. For those who have removed or replaced the 997.2 standard lip, you'll know that you insert the tabs into the slots and then slide the whole lip to the left to lock it in place.
The process is the same here except that due to the extra bulk of the 991 lip, it is impossible to get the very last tab into the slot. This is why you need to substitute this final tab by securing it with a cable tie instead.

8) After installing the lip and fully securing it, I ran a thin bead of rubber trim along the joint between the lip and the bumper, just to make it look really nicely finished off. You can only see it if you are looking from ground level as you'll see in the pics below.

All of the above may difficult to visualize unless you have the parts in your hand.

A word of caution is that you will need patience when reinstalling as it is very difficult to get all the tabs perfectly aligned. you will need at least one or maybe 2 extra pairs of hands.

In retrospect - the method I used may have been overkill (all except for steps 2 & 5, which I would consider mandatory). Given all the slots in the underside of the 997.2 bumper, one could consider drilling about 30 holes across the top of the 991 lip and simply use double sided tape and very strong cable ties looped through each hole. Just because there are so many I think this could be very secure. and the cable ties are hidden directly behind the spoiler, so it could be done very neatly. I think if I ever need to replace this current lip, that might be what I try next time.

At about $200 for an OEM part, it turned out to be a great result imho

Let me know what you think?

Last edited by EMC2; 11-22-2015 at 07:10 PM. Reason: added comparison pics
Old 11-22-2015, 05:55 PM
halo777 is on a distinguished road
Nice work and writeup!

Old 11-22-2015, 06:58 PM
MkC2S has much to be proud ofMkC2S has much to be proud ofMkC2S has much to be proud ofMkC2S has much to be proud ofMkC2S has much to be proud ofMkC2S has much to be proud ofMkC2S has much to be proud ofMkC2S has much to be proud ofMkC2S has much to be proud of
idk, look kinda weird but unique. front view look nice but side corner circled yellow is too tucked in. better if it extend all the way out like the front. IMO

Attached Images  
Old 11-22-2015, 07:11 PM
SWO Daddy has a spectacular aura aboutSWO Daddy has a spectacular aura aboutSWO Daddy has a spectacular aura about
Props for the time, effort and vision to do this. Nicely done.

Having said that, IMHO the flow of the front bumper and lip isn't the best. So many angles, flares and curves. But if you like it, that's what's important.

Old 11-23-2015, 06:57 AM
CoreyC2S is just really niceCoreyC2S is just really niceCoreyC2S is just really niceCoreyC2S is just really niceCoreyC2S is just really nice
Looks pretty darn good! The angles of the lip don't quite line up with the grille openings on the bumper but I doubt anyone will fault you on that. Nice work!

Old 11-23-2015, 11:30 AM
Daohaus will become famous soon enoughDaohaus will become famous soon enough
i like it, reminds me of the old school duck bills that used to be on the air cooled 911's kudos for the effort.

Old 11-23-2015, 01:46 PM
Buddhamonk has a spectacular aura aboutBuddhamonk has a spectacular aura aboutBuddhamonk has a spectacular aura about
it looks good and it's cheap (less than $200 on ebay for oem lip)

Old 11-23-2015, 03:05 PM
neos281 has a spectacular aura aboutneos281 has a spectacular aura about
I'm really impressed with your write-up! Car looks excellent btw.

Old 11-23-2015, 05:23 PM
EMC2 has much to be proud ofEMC2 has much to be proud ofEMC2 has much to be proud ofEMC2 has much to be proud ofEMC2 has much to be proud ofEMC2 has much to be proud ofEMC2 has much to be proud ofEMC2 has much to be proud ofEMC2 has much to be proud of
Thanks for all the feedback. Positive or negative. This is one of those things that is very subjective and down to personal taste.

To the person who asked "why do it?".

Same reason many people add the GTS, Aerokit or Speedster front lip to their front bumpers; for appearance as it looks more aggressive.
The trouble is that none of those lips can be fitted on the standard 997.2 bumper.

When Porsche made the 991 they made 2 lip options for the standard front bumper (who knows, maybe because they saw just how many people complained about the lack of an alternate, more pronounced lip for the 997.2)

See below 991 pics courtesy of Suncoast Parts.

Does it do anything to aerodynamics? Probably... because it is different to the stock config.
Is it the effect good or bad? I can't really say for sure, as I may be an engineer, but not in aerodynamics
If I had to guess, I would expect more air resistance and probably better downforce at the front. As an example the basic architecture/principle has some similarities with the 991 Active lip at full extension (performance mode).
I'm not saying this is definitive, just an assumption and would welcome comments or opinions from others. Of course, even if this is true it could have adverse effects at the rear of the car without an additional rear spoiler...

Fortunately or unfortunately I don't get to drive the car at the speeds where I think any of this will have any real impact (as also mentioned in some responses in this thread), but it certainly makes for interesting discussion.

So as I said in the beginning, it is more about personal taste. If I had anything but the stock bumper, I could choose from some great OEM lips for the 997.2. Since I have a stock bumper, this to me turned out to be the next best thing and I personally love the look - the photos don't really do it justice.

Old 11-23-2015, 05:34 PM
Daohaus will become famous soon enoughDaohaus will become famous soon enough
Originally Posted by EMC2
Thanks for all the feedback. Positive or negative. This is one of those things that is very subjective and down to personal taste.

To the person who asked "why do it?".

Same reason many people add the GTS, Aerokit or Speedster front lip to their front bumpers; for appearance as it looks more aggressive.
The trouble is that none of those lips can be fitted on the standard 997.2 bumper.

When Porsche made the 991 they made 2 lip options for the standard front bumper (who knows, maybe because they saw just how many people complained about the lack of an alternate, more pronounced lip for the 997.2)

See below 991 pics courtesy of Suncoast Parts.

Does it do anything to aerodynamics? Probably... because it is different to the stock config.
Is it the effect good or bad? I can't really say for sure, as I may be an engineer, but not in aerodynamics
If I had to guess, I would expect more air resistance and probably better downforce at the front. As an example the basic architecture/principle has some similarities with the 991 Active lip at full extension (performance mode).
I'm not saying this is definitive, just an assumption and would welcome comments or opinions from others. Of course, even if this is true it could have adverse effects at the rear of the car without an additional rear spoiler...

Fortunately or unfortunately I don't get to drive the car at the speeds where I think any of this will have any real impact (as also mentioned in some responses in this thread), but it certainly makes for interesting discussion.

So as I said in the beginning, it is more about personal taste. If I had anything but the stock bumper, I could choose from some great OEM lips for the 997.2. Since I have a stock bumper, this to me turned out to be the next best thing and I personally love the look - the photos don't really do it justice.
not that you needed to explain but I agree with you that it's for the look and to be different.

Old 11-23-2015, 06:16 PM
FlaHeel is a glorious beacon of lightFlaHeel is a glorious beacon of lightFlaHeel is a glorious beacon of lightFlaHeel is a glorious beacon of lightFlaHeel is a glorious beacon of lightFlaHeel is a glorious beacon of light
I think it looks great! Well done.

Old 11-23-2015, 08:46 PM
jerseybeemer has much to be proud ofjerseybeemer has much to be proud ofjerseybeemer has much to be proud ofjerseybeemer has much to be proud ofjerseybeemer has much to be proud ofjerseybeemer has much to be proud ofjerseybeemer has much to be proud ofjerseybeemer has much to be proud ofjerseybeemer has much to be proud ofjerseybeemer has much to be proud of
If it looks half as good in person as it does in the pictures, then very well done!

Old 11-24-2015, 09:13 AM
Swoody is just really niceSwoody is just really niceSwoody is just really niceSwoody is just really niceSwoody is just really nice
I think it is a definite improvement looks wise and maybe a bonus is some improved aerodynamics...Nice job!

Old 11-26-2015, 09:30 AM
FYI - If anyone else is feeling adventurous, there is also a newer version of this sports lip for the 2017 991.2

I've not yet seen a lot of pictures with this 991.2 spoiler installed, and I was not able to find many pics of just the spoiler itself to see how it attaches to the bumper. Also the overall dimensions could be different. From the photos it looks like it is wider if you compare the end points with the position of the headlights (but that could easily be due to the focal length of the lens used, creating some perspective distortion).

It would be interesting to see, once more of them start showing up.

Old 12-07-2015, 09:58 AM
Came back to find a great looking C4S cab (with standard front spoiler) parked nearby, so snapped a quick pic.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 4.50 average.

Quick Reply: SUCCESS! 991 Sports Lip installed on 997.2