American Muscle Everything from a Cadillac Escalade to a new Ford GT to a classic C1 Corvette

Documenting my C6 ZO6 build

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-30-2008, 10:47 AM
AtomicZ Is a GOD !AtomicZ Is a GOD !AtomicZ Is a GOD !AtomicZ Is a GOD !AtomicZ Is a GOD !AtomicZ Is a GOD !AtomicZ Is a GOD !AtomicZ Is a GOD !AtomicZ Is a GOD !AtomicZ Is a GOD !AtomicZ Is a GOD !
RPM offers 5th gear at .83 and 6th at .70

I big improvement over the stock .73/.50

Old 09-30-2008, 12:47 PM
Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by JFrazier
And if you like doing those highspeed runs, I'd take a look at the transmission that was already mentioned. That company also makes a ZR1 gearset that would greatly improve your topend over the Z06 gearing.
I'll definitely look into it. I may not get it during this go-round, but maybe down the road.

Old 09-30-2008, 12:53 PM
Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by AudiRS
Yet another amazing build.. I love your taste in tuning. All the best and good luck in Iraq.

Thanks, bro. You have pretty good taste yourself.

Old 09-30-2008, 12:53 PM
Originally Posted by AtomicZ
RPM offers 5th gear at .83 and 6th at .70

I big improvement over the stock .73/.50
Thanks for the info, Eric. I'll look into it.

Old 09-30-2008, 06:05 PM
Zuluracerx has a brilliant futureZuluracerx has a brilliant futureZuluracerx has a brilliant futureZuluracerx has a brilliant futureZuluracerx has a brilliant futureZuluracerx has a brilliant futureZuluracerx has a brilliant futureZuluracerx has a brilliant futureZuluracerx has a brilliant futureZuluracerx has a brilliant futureZuluracerx has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by 360Forged
Can't wait to see the finished product Scott.

Subscribed!!!
Do you have a picture of a black Z with your Mesh Eights, black centers? A PS will give me an idea if that's all you have? Subscribed.

Old 09-30-2008, 06:35 PM
Originally Posted by Zuluracerx
Do you have a picture of a black Z with your Mesh Eights, black centers? A PS will give me an idea if that's all you have? Subscribed.

Here you go, bro. This is the exact setup I'm getting:

Attached Images  

Last edited by Divexxtreme; 11-18-2008 at 10:12 AM.
Old 09-30-2008, 07:09 PM
Zuluracerx has a brilliant futureZuluracerx has a brilliant futureZuluracerx has a brilliant futureZuluracerx has a brilliant futureZuluracerx has a brilliant futureZuluracerx has a brilliant futureZuluracerx has a brilliant futureZuluracerx has a brilliant futureZuluracerx has a brilliant futureZuluracerx has a brilliant futureZuluracerx has a brilliant future
Good one. That's what I want too!

I scored one of the very first 06 Z06's that came out and I really miss that car, so much in fact I may make the trade back. It is just an everyday car that hauls *** and totally practical, not too mention beautiful, and light. Congrats on your decision! Can't wait to see the progress!!!! And, thanks for the New screen saver!

Old 10-01-2008, 12:15 PM
royaltouchtt is on a distinguished road
awesome

Old 10-01-2008, 03:10 PM
They did a baseline dyno run earlier today, and the car didn't dissappoint. She made 453 rwhp, which is 15-20 more than the average stock ZO6 they dyno.

I made 443 on a local dyno in 95 degree heat a couple of months ago, so 453 sounds about right with the cooler temps and dryer weather they have right now.

I also found out that they've hired a videographer to document the entire build, since my car will be the fist customer car to receive this new kit. There will also be a magazine article covering it at a later date, and the car will taken to a few local car shows. Since I'll be gone for 6 months, I told them they can use the car as they see fit, as long as they treat her with the utmost care and don't rack up the miles on her.

Here are a few pics of the car on the dyno.

Attached Images   

Last edited by Divexxtreme; 10-01-2008 at 03:45 PM.
Old 10-01-2008, 07:01 PM
prpsebuilt is an unknown quantity at this point
You will have one mean (er) machine when all is said and done. BTW I read that you are leaving for Iraq ? God Speed and wish you a safe journey. On a side note, do you think headers are a worth while install ? I am trying to get some more outta' mine.

Old 10-01-2008, 09:46 PM
AtomicZ Is a GOD !AtomicZ Is a GOD !AtomicZ Is a GOD !AtomicZ Is a GOD !AtomicZ Is a GOD !AtomicZ Is a GOD !AtomicZ Is a GOD !AtomicZ Is a GOD !AtomicZ Is a GOD !AtomicZ Is a GOD !AtomicZ Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Divexxtreme
They did a baseline dyno run earlier today, and the car didn't dissappoint. She made 453 rwhp, which is 15-20 more than the average stock ZO6 they dyno.

I made 443 on a local dyno in 95 degree heat a couple of months ago, so 453 sounds about right with the cooler temps and dryer weather they have right now.

I also found out that they've hired a videographer to document the entire build, since my car will be the fist customer car to receive this new kit. There will also be a magazine article covering it at a later date, and the car will taken to a few local car shows. Since I'll be gone for 6 months, I told them they can use the car as they see fit, as long as they treat her with the utmost care and don't rack up the miles on her.

Here are a few pics of the car on the dyno.
Good baseline HP. Mine dyno'd 443 on their dyno. It will be interesting to see the video and the mag article when all is done.

Old 10-01-2008, 11:18 PM
VetteFish is a glorious beacon of lightVetteFish is a glorious beacon of lightVetteFish is a glorious beacon of lightVetteFish is a glorious beacon of lightVetteFish is a glorious beacon of light
Not gonna lie, the FI Vette world is tough to beat. See sig .

But from personal experience, if your going be investing that much anyway, it would be stupid NOT to go with forged pistons and rods. You can have the best tuner around, the best builder, etc.... but something can still go wrong.

I was procharged with my C5 Z on stock motor from a shop i "thought" was terrific. Turns out i was running around on an "okay" tune that i was told was very conservative. Bam, cracked 3 pistons. So i took my car to, arguably, the best builder and tuner on the west coast. He replaced my pistons (motor was completely stock... stock cam, stock heads, etc.) and put on a much better and safer tune. Ran great, 2 weeks later out of nowhere, cracked another piston.

He refunded me the costs of all the labor and parts and I decided to go fully forged. Start fresh in a sense. Did so and 3500 miles on the motor right now and its ran flawless. I had it tuned extra safe since it was my DD but now its the weekend car so it looks like im gonna up the boost to 14 pounds or so and be in the 700whp range. After i upgrade to a twin disc clutch from my single of course, but thats the plan.

Bottom line, if your going to town with heads and cam and forced induction, you definitely should do a forged bottom end. You could have a spot on tune and then something happens, and you have to pull everything apart again. Spending double what you would have in the first place.

I sit in C5 FI and C6 FI allll day on vetteforum. and many will agree with my words. It's your build and your decisions and your money obviously, i just know from experience and from countless stories of stock motors going kaboom for little reasons that if your gonna do a FI build...do it right with a forged bottom end. The guys, at least in the C5 FI forum, who do biggg power stock motor builds clearly specify that they're gonna see how big of a limit they can take stock motor to... basically knowing that there is a good chance of potential piston failure.

The ZR1 comes forged and uses that blower... just another sidenote.

Again, just my $.02, and in the end your gonna have a KILLER forced induction C6 Z06 that hardly anyone can touch. Kudos to you man.

Old 10-02-2008, 08:46 AM
Banned
lemansz20 has a little shameless behaviour in the past
Thats a good baseline dyno, should be a very quick car. I cant wait till you get the wheels, its gonna look great.

Old 10-02-2008, 09:02 AM
HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !
congrats, MTI built a 422 C5 for a buddy I use to race with.....was a great/reliable car!

Old 10-03-2008, 09:58 AM
Below are some pics of my engine teardown. I'll post some more next week.

Attached Images    

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Documenting my C6 ZO6 build