American Muscle Everything from a Cadillac Escalade to a new Ford GT to a classic C1 Corvette

Documenting my C6 ZO6 build

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-08-2008, 10:43 AM
Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !
I spoke with MTI today and decided to go ahead and build the bottom-end and run a little more boost.

I'm getting Diamond forged pistons, Mahle rings, ARP rod bolts, and a heavy duty ported and blueprinted oil pump. The engine will of course be balanced and blueprinted, and boost will be increased from 8 lbs to 10-11 lbs.

Last edited by Divexxtreme; 10-08-2008 at 12:04 PM.
Old 10-08-2008, 10:54 AM
95RogueM3 has much to be proud of95RogueM3 has much to be proud of95RogueM3 has much to be proud of95RogueM3 has much to be proud of95RogueM3 has much to be proud of95RogueM3 has much to be proud of95RogueM3 has much to be proud of95RogueM3 has much to be proud of95RogueM3 has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by Divexxtreme
I spoke with MTI today and decided to go ahead and build the bottom-end and run a little more boost.

I'm getting Diamond forged pistons, Mahle rings, ARP rod bolts, and a heavy duty ported and blueprinted oil pump. The engine will be blanced and blueprinted, and boost will be increased from 8 lbs to 10-11 lbs.
Wow...nice change of plans. So with the additional 3psi do you have a power expectation? I would think somewhere in the neighborhood of 60-70 rwhp (?)...

Are you building the bottom end simply for more power or is it more from a reliability standpoint? I understand the bottom end allows you to run more boost, but Im curious if you didn't choose that route primarily for reliability.

Should be a monster!

Old 10-08-2008, 11:01 AM
Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by 95RogueM3
Wow...nice change of plans. So with the additional 3psi do you have a power expectation? I would think somewhere in the neighborhood of 60-70 rwhp (?)...
That's what I'm thinking as well, Rogue....but regardless of the peak increase...the area under the curve (what really matters) will be much larger. I'm hoping to be able to keep up with my best friend's 900+ rwhp Protomotive 996TT.

Are you building the bottom end simply for more power or is it more from a reliability standpoint? I understand the bottom end allows you to run more boost, but Im curious if you didn't choose that route primarily for reliability.
You're correct. Primarily for reliability, but since it will be built...we figured we'd turn the boost up a bit to take full advantage of it.

Last edited by Divexxtreme; 10-08-2008 at 11:04 AM.
Old 10-08-2008, 11:23 AM
DJ'sZ is a glorious beacon of lightDJ'sZ is a glorious beacon of lightDJ'sZ is a glorious beacon of lightDJ'sZ is a glorious beacon of lightDJ'sZ is a glorious beacon of light
Scott...looking VERY forward to seeing this beast if you ever make it down to Texas to enjoy some of our fun runs and GTG's...

Old 10-08-2008, 02:53 PM
Phoenix has a brilliant futurePhoenix has a brilliant futurePhoenix has a brilliant futurePhoenix has a brilliant futurePhoenix has a brilliant futurePhoenix has a brilliant futurePhoenix has a brilliant futurePhoenix has a brilliant futurePhoenix has a brilliant futurePhoenix has a brilliant futurePhoenix has a brilliant future
Great move, Scott.

Old 10-08-2008, 05:53 PM
Originally Posted by HIRISC
I'm all ears.. can't wait to read about your experience.

Safe tour/travels in Iraq.
Thanks, man. I'll be sure to update this thread as often as I'm able.

Last edited by Divexxtreme; 10-09-2008 at 08:24 AM.
Old 10-09-2008, 01:51 AM
flash68 Is a GOD !flash68 Is a GOD !flash68 Is a GOD !flash68 Is a GOD !flash68 Is a GOD !flash68 Is a GOD !flash68 Is a GOD !flash68 Is a GOD !flash68 Is a GOD !flash68 Is a GOD !flash68 Is a GOD !
This is making me want to think hard about a Z06.

Awesome build.

Old 10-09-2008, 11:49 PM
OhioGT2 Is a GOD !OhioGT2 Is a GOD !OhioGT2 Is a GOD !OhioGT2 Is a GOD !OhioGT2 Is a GOD !OhioGT2 Is a GOD !OhioGT2 Is a GOD !OhioGT2 Is a GOD !OhioGT2 Is a GOD !OhioGT2 Is a GOD !OhioGT2 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Divexxtreme

I'm getting Diamond forged pistons, Mahle rings, ARP rod bolts, and a heavy duty ported and blueprinted oil pump. The engine will of course be balanced and blueprinted, and boost will be increased from 8 lbs to 10-11 lbs.
Ah what a slippery slope my friend.... I did the exact same thing you did...was just going to do a headers/cam package....then decided a 100 shot would be fun....then decided the hell with it, let's build the motor for a 250 shot....all within about a month of thinking about it.

I went with Diamond pistons, Oliver rods and a Callies crank, all new valvetrain, etc. Be sure to stud the heads too. My build has been bullet-proof over the 3k miles I've put on it so far. Late Model Engines did the machine work....couldn't be happier.

I just put on a set of 28" M&H's tonight. My BFG dr's were shot. We'll see how they hook up at the track over the next week or so.

Old 10-10-2008, 07:46 AM
Originally Posted by OhioGT2
Ah what a slippery slope my friend.... I did the exact same thing you did...was just going to do a headers/cam package....then decided a 100 shot would be fun....then decided the hell with it, let's build the motor for a 250 shot....all within about a month of thinking about it.
Ha, ha...I feel ya', Jamie. You start out relatively small...and then the more thought you put into it and the more you talk to people, the more mods you start adding.

I went with Diamond pistons, Oliver rods and a Callies crank, all new valvetrain, etc. Be sure to stud the heads too. My build has been bullet-proof over the 3k miles I've put on it so far. Late Model Engines did the machine work....couldn't be happier.

I just put on a set of 28" M&H's tonight. My BFG dr's were shot. We'll see how they hook up at the track over the next week or so.
I've heard great things about M&H's. A lot of local guys out there switching to them and of course I noticed that Tommy and his Supra buddies were all running them in H-town. Try and get some 60-130 times when you can. I bet that car is good for mid 4's with traction.....

Old 10-10-2008, 01:03 PM
AtomicZ Is a GOD !AtomicZ Is a GOD !AtomicZ Is a GOD !AtomicZ Is a GOD !AtomicZ Is a GOD !AtomicZ Is a GOD !AtomicZ Is a GOD !AtomicZ Is a GOD !AtomicZ Is a GOD !AtomicZ Is a GOD !AtomicZ Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by OhioGT2

Would like to know how the M&H's hook up for you and what rim you are running them on.

Old 10-10-2008, 01:35 PM
Brucem is a name known to allBrucem is a name known to allBrucem is a name known to allBrucem is a name known to allBrucem is a name known to allBrucem is a name known to all
Congrats on the new build..can't wait to see how you enjoy it when you are back from Iraq.. Be safe over there

Old 10-10-2008, 04:00 PM
Originally Posted by Brucem
Congrats on the new build..can't wait to see how you enjoy it when you are back from Iraq.. Be safe over there
Thank you, Bruce. I appreciate that, brother.

Old 10-17-2008, 05:43 PM
James PA is on a distinguished road
Have you thought about running a traction control setup? Something along the lines of Racelogic, with in car adjustability. Its not cheap, but as stated above, modding is a slippery slope.

I didn't see it anywhere, but I guess with the LSx's they just tune the ECU from GM? From my limited knowledge on Domestic cars, the GM ECU is one of the easier ones to tune? Or are you going to a standalone unit?

Old 10-18-2008, 05:04 PM
AtomicZ Is a GOD !AtomicZ Is a GOD !AtomicZ Is a GOD !AtomicZ Is a GOD !AtomicZ Is a GOD !AtomicZ Is a GOD !AtomicZ Is a GOD !AtomicZ Is a GOD !AtomicZ Is a GOD !AtomicZ Is a GOD !AtomicZ Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by James PA
Have you thought about running a traction control setup? Something along the lines of Racelogic, with in car adjustability. Its not cheap, but as stated above, modding is a slippery slope.

I didn't see it anywhere, but I guess with the LSx's they just tune the ECU from GM? From my limited knowledge on Domestic cars, the GM ECU is one of the easier ones to tune? Or are you going to a standalone unit?
There is a gentleman on the corvette forums who has or is the process of installing one of these on a corvette that is well over 1000HP. I would be curious to see how it works.

Old 10-18-2008, 11:08 PM
James PA is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by AtomicZ
There is a gentleman on the corvette forums who has or is the process of installing one of these on a corvette that is well over 1000HP. I would be curious to see how it works.
I would imagine it being a great addition to any car that gets so much extra HP. Your tires can only be so sticky, and theres always a limit to width. I've seen it work well on e46 m3s and other BMWs. The e36 m3s seem to have traction issues at right around 425whp, but I suppose with the Z06 it is more like 600whp considering the suspension setup and the size of rear tire you can run.

I'm just thinking of things like standing mile and 60-130mph runs. I'm sure it would help with quarter mile times as well, but with that much HP it would be nice to be able to dial down the slip when you don't want the tail stepping out.

I'm not totally familiar with how the racelogic system works, whether it retards fuel/spark based on wheel speed or angle, but I do know its one of the best in the business. Some standalone units have traction control as well, which is why I was curious about that.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Documenting my C6 ZO6 build