American Muscle Everything from a Cadillac Escalade to a new Ford GT to a classic C1 Corvette

Documenting my C6 ZO6 build

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-29-2008, 02:59 PM
Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !
Documenting my C6 ZO6 build

So now that I've sold my P-car, I'm going to modify my Z06 so I can really enjoy her until I decide it's time to get back into another Porsche.

After a lot of research and finally figuring out for myself exactly what I wanted out of the car, I decided to send her down to MTI Racing in Atlanta, GA (totally different company from MTI in Houston) for their new Eaton TVS S/C package. The TVS is the new 4-lobe Roots blower that GM is using on the ZR1.

My car will be receiving the following upgrades:

-Built bottom-end (Diamond forged pistons, Mahle rings, ARP rod bolts, and a heavy duty ported and blueprinted oil pump). The engine will also be balanced and blueprinted.

-Eaton-TVS supercharger system and all accessories

-Overdrive Damper

-MTI Racing TVS supercharger hood (Fiberglass painted to match car)

-MTI Racing proprietary cylinder head assemblies complete with valvetrain

-MTI Racing extreme camshaft

-Billet 8-rib drive and harmonic balancer

-Billet accessory drive

-MTI RACING TVS severe duty radiator and integral oil cooler

-MTI RACING Stainless Steel Headers With Extra Thick Flanges

-.060" Wall Tubing / LS7 Matched D-Port Primary Tubes / 3" Collector Inti Metal Matrix

-High-Flow 3' Cats & X-Pipe

-Callaway 'Honker" Cold Air Induction

-MTI RACING Ported Throttle Body

-MSD Fuel Pump Booster

-MTI RACING "Hot Spark" Plug Wires

-160 /180 Degree Thermostat

-Custom Engine Program With Dyno Tune

*12 month/12k mile warranty

-Stage 1 suspension upgrade

-Stainless Steel Braided brake lines

-Ceramic/Metallic clutch rated for 1k HP

-MTI six-shooter short shift kit

-Upgraded axles

-360 Forged Mesh Eights 20x12.5 and 20x9.5 with 345/20 and 275/20 Nitto Invos

-2008+ OEM radio bezel

-2008+ OEM door pulls

-Window tint

The following was added after the MTI build was completed:

-RPM Transmissions built T56 with revised 5th and 6th gear ratios

-RPM Transmissions built differential with 3.90 gears

-AEM wideband and fuel pressure gauges

Last edited by Divexxtreme; 06-12-2009 at 11:19 AM.
Old 09-29-2008, 04:29 PM
Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !
Here's a few pictures of my bone stock car upon arrival at MTI. More to follow in the days to come...

Attached Images   

Last edited by Divexxtreme; 09-29-2008 at 04:32 PM.
Old 09-29-2008, 05:15 PM
AtomicZ Is a GOD !AtomicZ Is a GOD !AtomicZ Is a GOD !AtomicZ Is a GOD !AtomicZ Is a GOD !AtomicZ Is a GOD !AtomicZ Is a GOD !AtomicZ Is a GOD !AtomicZ Is a GOD !AtomicZ Is a GOD !AtomicZ Is a GOD !
Scott -

Good luck with the build. As you know I have a NA LS7 done by MTI for road course use and it runs flawless. I have basically the same grocery list of extras as far as heads, throttle body, headers, exhaust, CIA, radiator/oil cooler, plug wires and thermostat. They install is very clean and it will be like a whole new car when they are done.

Keep us posted. Your car should be a monster when done.

Old 09-29-2008, 05:17 PM
Banned
lemansz20 has a little shameless behaviour in the past
Im kinda excited for you, this should be good. Let me ask you something, ive heard that the regular c6 is a better motor/platform for forced induction. Is that true or have I read wrong???

Old 09-29-2008, 06:08 PM
Originally Posted by lemansz20
Im kinda excited for you, this should be good. Let me ask you something, ive heard that the regular c6 is a better motor/platform for forced induction. Is that true or have I read wrong???
Absolutely. Engines with lower compression and thicker walls are always more conducive to FI. But on the flip side, the higher compression you have..the less boost you have to run to make a lot of power.

My only issue with the standard C6 is that in my opinion, it is nowhere near the car the ZO6 is. So I personally wouldn't bother purchasing and modifying one.

Old 09-29-2008, 08:27 PM
Banned
360Forged has a reputation beyond repute360Forged has a reputation beyond repute360Forged has a reputation beyond repute360Forged has a reputation beyond repute360Forged has a reputation beyond repute360Forged has a reputation beyond repute360Forged has a reputation beyond repute360Forged has a reputation beyond repute360Forged has a reputation beyond repute360Forged has a reputation beyond repute360Forged has a reputation beyond repute
Can't wait to see the finished product Scott.

Subscribed!!!

Old 09-29-2008, 08:31 PM
Phoenix has a brilliant futurePhoenix has a brilliant futurePhoenix has a brilliant futurePhoenix has a brilliant futurePhoenix has a brilliant futurePhoenix has a brilliant futurePhoenix has a brilliant futurePhoenix has a brilliant futurePhoenix has a brilliant futurePhoenix has a brilliant futurePhoenix has a brilliant future
Scott,

Fantastic thread! I'm really looking forward to hearing how this build turns out. I'm sure she'll be a heck of a car!

Thanks!

Old 09-29-2008, 08:32 PM
LMBZ06 is a glorious beacon of lightLMBZ06 is a glorious beacon of lightLMBZ06 is a glorious beacon of lightLMBZ06 is a glorious beacon of lightLMBZ06 is a glorious beacon of light
Instead of 2G's for a forged motor, how about a close ratio tranny from RPM - it gets rid of the lag in 5th & 6th, and with addn gear ratio changes, you can approximate a car with a 3.90 or 4.10 rearend diff. Food for thought ! Keep us posted !

Old 09-29-2008, 10:17 PM
AudiRS is on a distinguished road
Yet another amazing build.. I love your taste in tuning. All the best and good luck in Iraq.

Old 09-30-2008, 05:48 AM
Originally Posted by LMBZ06
Instead of 2G's for a forged motor, how about a close ratio tranny from RPM - it gets rid of the lag in 5th & 6th, and with addn gear ratio changes, you can approximate a car with a 3.90 or 4.10 rearend diff. Food for thought ! Keep us posted !
Hmmm...I like that idea. I'll look into it. Thanks.

Old 09-30-2008, 07:05 AM
josh2448 is on a distinguished road
I have spent some time talking to the guys at MTI and have seen a lot of there work at cars shows and on the track. They do an amazing job from what I can see and are really a friendly group of people that will take the time to explain anything you dont understand. The cars they brought out to the YearOne cup this year were stunning.

Old 09-30-2008, 08:35 AM
95RogueM3 has much to be proud of95RogueM3 has much to be proud of95RogueM3 has much to be proud of95RogueM3 has much to be proud of95RogueM3 has much to be proud of95RogueM3 has much to be proud of95RogueM3 has much to be proud of95RogueM3 has much to be proud of95RogueM3 has much to be proud of
Scott, if you weren't going to be deployed is there an estimated amount of time this build would take?

Old 09-30-2008, 09:12 AM
Originally Posted by 95RogueM3
Scott, if you weren't going to be deployed is there an estimated amount of time this build would take?
Probably less than 30 days for the S/C install. But my wheels will take 5 or 6 weeks or so.

Old 09-30-2008, 09:46 AM
JFrazier is on a distinguished road
I've known the guys at MTI Racing for about 5 years now. Reese has been around these cars since the C4 days and has worked with many a Corvette engineer and with other tuners in the field. He had the first C5 racecar and still drives it every now and then today.

They are not a 'fly by night' operation.

Second, they built a '07 C6Z for my uncle almost a year and a half ago and its been running flawlessly since. It first had heads/cam and now it's Procharged making around 660whp. He beats on it mercilessly and it just keeps ticking. Read what's in the package. The valvetrain is overbuilt, the cam and heads are getting replaced along with the clutch.

Hennessey is not making this kind of power without FI, and with his reputation, there's not many who would allow him to try.

Divexxtreme will be fine. These guys know what they are doing. I wouldn't recommend against a piston change but the stock ones seem to be able to handle it from what I've seen. Besides, if it blows up, build it back up better than ever. You guys already know the deal.

Last edited by Divexxtreme; 11-18-2008 at 03:26 AM.
Old 09-30-2008, 09:50 AM
JFrazier is on a distinguished road
And if you like doing those highspeed runs, I'd take a look at the transmission that was already mentioned. That company also makes a ZR1 gearset that would greatly improve your topend over the Z06 gearing.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Documenting my C6 ZO6 build