Aston Martin DB7, DB9, DBS, Vantage V8, Vanquish, and Classic models

V8 Vantage: Quirky A/C on and off?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-30-2013, 08:43 PM
V12Vin is on a distinguished road
V8 Vantage: Quirky A/C on and off?

Hey all, my first official post of a possible issue with the AC system in my 07 V8V. Had it for a while. Been a blast to drive. Lately there is a bit of quirk.

As I understand the AC system is switched on when the AC button light is illuminated and the system is switched off when the light is extinguished.

But lately, even when the AC button light is extinguished, the AC is still running. I would activate the AC button on/off a few times and the AC will still be running. Until I have to go though some combination of switching the fan to "off" or "auto" mode until the AC button works as intended.

Also, when I start the car for the first time, the AC system is automatically switched on despite the AC button light in its extinguished state.

Has anyone experienced a similar issue?

Thanks.

Old 05-31-2013, 07:18 AM
shadowhusky will become famous soon enough
Originally Posted by V8Vin
Hey all, my first official post of a possible issue with the AC system in my 07 V8V. Had it for a while. Been a blast to drive. Lately there is a bit of quirk.

As I understand the AC system is switched on when the AC button light is illuminated and the system is switched off when the light is extinguished.

But lately, even when the AC button light is extinguished, the AC is still running. I would activate the AC button on/off a few times and the AC will still be running. Until I have to go though some combination of switching the fan to "off" or "auto" mode until the AC button works as intended.

Also, when I start the car for the first time, the AC system is automatically switched on despite the AC button light in its extinguished state.

Thanks.
I have noticed that unless the fan is in least in the on position. even the temperature dial doesnt work either. I was driving and notice that there was heat coming out even though I turned the dial all the way to cool. one I turned the fan on it almost instantly turned cool again.

I can only assume that the AC button is tied in the same way.

Old 05-31-2013, 11:00 PM
Thanks for the feedback. I have a feeling the switch might be faulty.

Old 06-01-2013, 06:07 AM
HenryM is on a distinguished road
Whenever the Fan is set to Auto the AC is on. You can't turn it off. Even the selector for the air flow position is overridden. If you don't set the Fan speed to Auto then the controls work as you would expect.

Old 06-01-2013, 09:21 AM
Henry, appreciate the feedback.

Sadly, the quirk happens when it is not in the auto function.

I have pulled up the circuit diagram for climate control. Hopefully to find out the cause.

Old 06-03-2013, 09:36 AM
IbisRider has a brilliant futureIbisRider has a brilliant futureIbisRider has a brilliant futureIbisRider has a brilliant futureIbisRider has a brilliant futureIbisRider has a brilliant futureIbisRider has a brilliant futureIbisRider has a brilliant futureIbisRider has a brilliant futureIbisRider has a brilliant futureIbisRider has a brilliant future
I have a very similar problem/quirk. Often (maybe always, I haven't been terribly scientific), upon start up, the AC is on. The button light is not on and the fan is in one of the lower notches. I've found that if I just ignore and drive, the AC turns off. I've also found that if I hit the button, wait a few seconds and then hit it again to turn the AC off, it goes off.

Hasn't bugged me enough to take any real action, but I'm pretty confident that the source of your problem and mine are the same.

Old 06-03-2013, 01:18 PM
Originally Posted by IbisRider
I have a very similar problem/quirk. Often (maybe always, I haven't been terribly scientific), upon start up, the AC is on. The button light is not on and the fan is in one of the lower notches. I've found that if I just ignore and drive, the AC turns off. I've also found that if I hit the button, wait a few seconds and then hit it again to turn the AC off, it goes off.

Hasn't bugged me enough to take any real action, but I'm pretty confident that the source of your problem and mine are the same.
Thanks Ibis. It does sound very similar.

Drove the car yesterday and it did the same thing just during start up. After driving for a while (in hot weather no less), the AC switch works as intended.

Strange but true!

Old 07-12-2013, 08:09 PM
Originally Posted by IbisRider

I have just recently had this exact problem happen to me over the past few days. Has anybody gone thru any effort to find out why this was happening ?

Old 07-12-2013, 09:27 PM
drcollie has a reputation beyond reputedrcollie has a reputation beyond reputedrcollie has a reputation beyond reputedrcollie has a reputation beyond reputedrcollie has a reputation beyond reputedrcollie has a reputation beyond reputedrcollie has a reputation beyond reputedrcollie has a reputation beyond reputedrcollie has a reputation beyond reputedrcollie has a reputation beyond reputedrcollie has a reputation beyond repute
Mine does the same thing. Eventually if you switch everything off, the AC stops.

Old 07-13-2013, 07:13 AM
Originally Posted by drcollie
Mine does the same thing. Eventually if you switch everything off, the AC stops.
I dont even have to touch anything and after about 30 seconds or so it just turns off.

Old 07-15-2013, 04:58 PM
Yea mine is still doing it and it does switched off automatically.

I wonder if this has something to do with NOT switching the AC long enough before the shutting down the car from the previous trip. And now we are into the summer months, we tend to use the AC more.

Old 06-28-2021, 03:11 AM
Twedds is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally Posted by V12Vin

Thanks.
Hi, I drive an Aston Martin DB9 2007 plate. From my observations the AC will come on and run for approx 30 secs even in the off position. My assumption is that it lubricates the compressor and prolongs the service life during winter/cooler driving. I originally thought I had a cooling fan issue as they would kick in on full shortly after start up. When the AC clutch disengages the fans will stop, again after about 30 secs.
On auto the AC is on all the time even on cooler days when I would expect the AC clutch to disengage and the cabin air is warmed. I'm not sure if this is by design or I have a fault.
In manual mode you can control the fan speed, vent options and the AC on/off button also works.

Hope this helps.

Old 06-28-2021, 06:28 PM
61mga will become famous soon enough
old thread, but anyway...

there are plenty of examples these days where the simple idea of turning an appliance on and off don't apply. this is one of them, i suspect. just another one of the "yes we have no bananas" kind of switches on the older vantages. you know, the kind of on/off switch where the light comes on only when the item is switched off. go figure...

Last edited by 61mga; 06-29-2021 at 11:04 AM.
Old 06-29-2021, 06:47 AM
embdenb is a splendid one to beholdembdenb is a splendid one to beholdembdenb is a splendid one to beholdembdenb is a splendid one to beholdembdenb is a splendid one to beholdembdenb is a splendid one to beholdembdenb is a splendid one to beholdembdenb is a splendid one to behold
I am pretty sure system was designed that way. As noted prior, AC system’s need to run regularly to maintain seals etc. Not sure about the later cars, but this appears to be a design feature on the early vehicles.