Aston Martin DB7, DB9, DBS, Vantage V8, Vanquish, and Classic models

DIY oil change

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-22-2013, 12:45 AM
RnB_Sensation is on a distinguished road
Awesome. Thank you guys.

Does anyone change anything else while doing the annual oil changes other than making sure all fluids are topped off? Just curious what others on here are doing themselves annually other than oil/filter change. Thanks again.

Old 03-22-2013, 08:38 AM
droffsite will become famous soon enough
Originally Posted by RnB_Sensation
Same questions I have have. Want to do an oil change in a few weeks. Can someone that has done an oil change on a V8V recently share where they purchased the engine oil (11 qrts? brand? weight?), oil filter, o-rings, and bypass filter (if required). This thread was started a while back and information may be out dated. Would appreciate any help. Thanks.
I ordered my oil online from Turner Motorsports. Around $12/quart. My filter kit was also from Miller in Connecticut via eBay.

Old 03-22-2013, 10:29 AM
shadowhusky will become famous soon enough
I was actually amazed. the Aston dealer in my area was only like .14 more per quart than the 3 BMW dealers I called. I paid 13.21 per qt. from the BMW dealer.

I never actaully called the Aston dealer just because of everything that I read, but when i was there picking up the filter I asked how much the oil was and that was when I found out.

Old 03-24-2013, 08:29 AM
UrLuvKeepsmeAliv is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by RnB_Sensation
Awesome. Thank you guys.

Does anyone change anything else while doing the annual oil changes other than making sure all fluids are topped off? Just curious what others on here are doing themselves annually other than oil/filter change. Thanks again.
I just did all my brakes....not that any red lights were on but I usually change them before that happens since I don't want to change the sensors.

Old 03-24-2013, 07:21 PM
Originally Posted by UrLuvKeepsmeAliv
I just did all my brakes....not that any red lights were on but I usually change them before that happens since I don't want to change the sensors.
What sort of sensors are you talking about? I have had low brake pad sensors turn on a few of my other cars but when you replace the pads the pads have new sensors built right into the pads. Is that not the same with the Aston?

Old 03-24-2013, 09:38 PM
Aston.Ca is just really niceAston.Ca is just really niceAston.Ca is just really niceAston.Ca is just really niceAston.Ca is just really nice
The sensors are separate units. Not terribly costly (check Aston Bits or HWM) but if you change pads before they trip you can reuse them with your new pads. Not sure if it's mentioned in the thread (kinda getting OT btw) but the Porterfields are an excellent and better performing OEM alternative (and you can fit the sensors into them easily - but just note there are no R/L pads so the sensor goes to the front of the pad on one side and the rear on the opposite one).

Old 03-25-2013, 03:42 AM
Originally Posted by Aston.Ca
The sensors are separate units. Not terribly costly (check Aston Bits or HWM) but if you change pads before they trip you can reuse them with your new pads. Not sure if it's mentioned in the thread (kinda getting OT btw) but the Porterfields are an excellent and better performing OEM alternative (and you can fit the sensors into them easily - but just note there are no R/L pads so the sensor goes to the front of the pad on one side and the rear on the opposite one).

that is good to know. I had porterfields on my last two cars. Do you have any model/part numbers for the appropriate pads.

Old 03-25-2013, 08:29 PM
Aston.Ca is just really niceAston.Ca is just really niceAston.Ca is just really niceAston.Ca is just really niceAston.Ca is just really nice
Originally Posted by shadowhusky
that is good to know. I had porterfields on my last two cars. Do you have any model/part numbers for the appropriate pads.
Not off hand but if you just use their site, you can enter the model and make and it will take you right there.

Old 05-30-2013, 08:59 AM
Vergis has a spectacular aura aboutVergis has a spectacular aura aboutVergis has a spectacular aura about
Is it imperative to take out the bypass filters?

I am tempted to leave them alone....

Old 05-30-2013, 10:28 AM
Originally Posted by Vergis
Is it imperative to take out the bypass filters?

I am tempted to leave them alone....

I was going to do the same thing but after pulling out the drain plug and not very much oil draining out of it, I was worried that something was wrong. After pulling out the two bypass filters, I think that the other half of the oil that was in the car came out of those two locations. I still dont know if what happened was good or bad, but that is what I encountered.

Old 05-30-2013, 11:28 AM
Vergis has a spectacular aura aboutVergis has a spectacular aura aboutVergis has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by shadowhusky
I was going to do the same thing but after pulling out the drain plug and not very much oil draining out of it, I was worried that something was wrong. After pulling out the two bypass filters, I think that the other half of the oil that was in the car came out of those two locations. I still dont know if what happened was good or bad, but that is what I encountered.

Thanks for the tip. Will defo remove all of them then.

Old 06-02-2013, 01:08 PM
Attempted an oil change today and its been a pig. The drain bolt no problem the oil filter no problem. It was interesting to see the sump bolts had no washer - just a built in rubber gromet.

The problem I had was with the bypass filter. For love nor money will it come off. Tried unscrewing it with a long lever to get extra power to remove the bolts but it just wont budge. I am thinking that they have never been taken off!!!

Is there another way to get the rest of the oil out from the rear part of the sump pan. I have only managed to remove about 8 litres.

Old 06-02-2013, 09:50 PM
karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !
The bypass filters are a very tight fit and are essentially held in place by the o-ring which also keeps the oil from pouring out once you remove the cover. I attach a hex bolt (M10?) to the end of the filter and wiggle it back and forth as I am pulling it down in order to remove them. Be prepared to catch the oil that pours out once it finally becomes free.

Old 06-03-2013, 12:41 AM
Will give it another go today. I thought it wouldnt be this hard or I would of paid someone to do it (sigh)

Is there another way to expell oil from the sump?

Old 06-03-2013, 03:41 AM
Originally Posted by Vergis

The problem I had was with the bypass filter. For love nor money will it come off. Tried unscrewing it with a long lever to get extra power to remove the bolts but it just wont budge. I am thinking that they have never been taken off!!!

Is there another way to get the rest of the oil out from the rear part of the sump pan. I have only managed to remove about 8 litres.

Are you talking about the two small hex bolts on the plates that holds the bypass filters in. Are thoses the bolts that wont budge?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: DIY oil change