Aston Martin DB7, DB9, DBS, Vantage V8, Vanquish, and Classic models

I would trade my Aston for a...(fill in blank)

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 1.00 average.

Old 09-03-2012, 01:20 PM
HotLap is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by plastique999
I agree... The vents break up up the smooth lines of the Vantage. Wish they didn't carve up the hood like that
I'm the same.

I have always thought the vents don't do the Vantage any favors from a design standpoint.

However, I do see how they could serve a useful purpose, venting away BTUs from that shoe-horned V12 heat generator underneath the hood.

Old 09-03-2012, 08:56 PM
black penguin has a brilliant futureblack penguin has a brilliant futureblack penguin has a brilliant futureblack penguin has a brilliant futureblack penguin has a brilliant futureblack penguin has a brilliant futureblack penguin has a brilliant futureblack penguin has a brilliant futureblack penguin has a brilliant futureblack penguin has a brilliant futureblack penguin has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by ice350
I had no idea the Vantage was so raw.
I thought Aston's were the best daily drivers of all the exotic clan.
Probably just the Vantage is like this.....right?
I can't imagine a DB9 being close to raw or making the driver work hard.
I bought the V12 Vantage BECAUSE it felt more raw on the street. It's an old school idea beautifully executed for today. Big motor, small car, manual gear box.

Step on the go fast pedal and it's really loud, want to oversteer, no problem.

I love it.

Old 09-04-2012, 05:59 AM
11CayenneS will become famous soon enough
I would trade for a 991 or new r8. The lack of quality in the sport shift II is starting to get annoying

Old 09-04-2012, 07:15 AM
LRDog has a reputation beyond reputeLRDog has a reputation beyond reputeLRDog has a reputation beyond reputeLRDog has a reputation beyond reputeLRDog has a reputation beyond reputeLRDog has a reputation beyond reputeLRDog has a reputation beyond reputeLRDog has a reputation beyond reputeLRDog has a reputation beyond reputeLRDog has a reputation beyond reputeLRDog has a reputation beyond repute
With my DB9 set up with sport pack, H&R springs/wheels, 6-speed, B&O..... I couldn't imagine trading it for anything other than another AML set up the same way. The only thing I need at this point is the RSC exhaust!

Old 09-06-2012, 06:45 PM
telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !
i'd trade my V8V for a V12V or a One-77

otherwise, i'm perfectly happy with it. there are a few things i'd like to change about it, but nothing important enough to want to trade it in for anything else.

Old 09-07-2012, 09:49 AM
RossL has a reputation beyond reputeRossL has a reputation beyond reputeRossL has a reputation beyond reputeRossL has a reputation beyond reputeRossL has a reputation beyond reputeRossL has a reputation beyond reputeRossL has a reputation beyond reputeRossL has a reputation beyond reputeRossL has a reputation beyond reputeRossL has a reputation beyond reputeRossL has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by RossL
I'm most likely going to test drive an MP4-12C next week. I highly doubt I'll purchase but I am curious
Update to this comment since a few asked for a follow-up.

I test drove the McLaren yesterday and I was and am still in amazement by how well the car drives. Here's a list of Pros/Cons that I can remember. It's an amazing car and a worthy contender in its class. I drove the car for a little over an hour through back roads, construction areas, traffic (stuck behind a school bus and prius's EVERYWHERE!), and open highway like roads.

Pros
  • Comfort. I felt very comfortable in the car. It's not easy to get in and out but once in it's very comfortable.
  • Pedal position is superb, visibility forward is great, and I felt 100% confident driving it in tight places because of how well you are positioned in the car. It's hard to describe but once inside you'll know what I mean.
  • Power! Ohhh the power. After 3k RPM it's so smooooooth. While your face is melting you don't even notice the shifting.
  • The double clutch is impressive but is kind of clunky. It's no M3 double clutch. It's pretty good though and very smooth on upshifts.
  • Composure. If you are normal driving, it's easily the best mix of comfort and sport suspension I've ever driven. When flipping the suspension to track you instantly start to feel the road and the body roll is minimal. I was shocked by how well composed the car was to say the least.
  • Service and care for the customer. The 2012 models will all have the updates that are coming in 2013 which is very nice to hear. If you are getting service done, McLaren will pickup your car and drop it off at your house.
  • Did I mention power? I drove the new 616hp model.....I'm still grinning like a kid.

Cons
  • The car has the side sills similar to the Lotus Exige so it's a PITA to get in and out of. I wouldn't recommend wearing a suit or a skirt.
  • The doors are cool but heavy and make getting into the car a bit challenging at first. It's fine for me but my wife didn't like it after the "oh cool" moment wore off.
  • The cabin in all performance modes is pretty loud. I can't imagine a conference call over bluetooth going as well as it does in my AM.
  • Because of the way you slide into the car (see side sill comment) I forsee the leather wearing out very fast. If you are looking to buy check the side bolsters for wear.
  • Sound system is meh. 7k option and nothing stellar to me.
  • More a nitpick than a con; The transmission can be jerky when coming to a stop. It's not silky smooth like an auto and since it's downshifting you feel the jerk often. I was able to smooth it out some but it's there.
  • I think the Aston sounds better

Now back to the thread. Would I trade my Aston for it? I might, but it's a totally different car. The Aston is much more a GT car and that's what I want right now. I can drive it and wear a suit, my wife a skirt . The Aston sounds a lot better and has much more classy looking "curves" (V8VS and V12V). However the blistering power of the McLaren is quite intoxicating. When I get tired of the GT cars I will seriously look at McLaren. I would look at Ferrari but I just can't get over the horrid experiences I have with their dealerships. I love the 458 but the attitude ruins everything for me. I'm also very curious to see the successor to the Gallardo (Cabrera?).

I really look forward to the next Aston track day because I might get to take the McLaren on the track (Sunir it will most likely be at Summit main course).

TLDR: I'm keeping the Aston

Old 09-07-2012, 01:40 PM
sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !
^^^ Ross Awesome write up buddy...let me know when the next Aston track day is (like at least a couple of weeks before if not earlier - I will contact the org and see if any addtional intstructors we can pull from BSR/Friday at the Track cadre), Andy talked to me breifly about instructing for the Aston Martin events. I hope to have my race car there with me that day...and do a few test laps in the McLaren.