Aston Martin DB7, DB9, DBS, Vantage V8, Vanquish, and Classic models

Improving an older Vantage

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-06-2013, 08:15 AM
IbisRider has a brilliant futureIbisRider has a brilliant futureIbisRider has a brilliant futureIbisRider has a brilliant futureIbisRider has a brilliant futureIbisRider has a brilliant futureIbisRider has a brilliant futureIbisRider has a brilliant futureIbisRider has a brilliant futureIbisRider has a brilliant futureIbisRider has a brilliant future
Improving an older Vantage

Like many of us, I have a constant struggle with a desire for "better". In this case, much as I love my '08 V8V, there are things I wish were better, things that are better in the newer models. I've done plenty of research on power, so I know what to do if I want more of that. What's vexing me is suspension.

When I drive a newer Vantage, ('10-'13), I'm struck by the improved ride. It feels more refined, more supple, and just generally better. Reading Grant's book, I know that the dampers (shocks) on newer models are better, bilsteins and the springs may be different. Does anyone have experience improving the ride of a pre-'09 Vantage?

I don't care about lowering it, I just want similar performance and a better ride. What do I mean by better? When I hit dots and reflector bumps now, there is a sharp thud that, in the newer models, is almost entirely absorbed. I'm not looking for Lexus float here, just that crisp and smooth feel that my ride lacks.

Ultimately, I realize that I might spend as much as just buying a newer Vantage might cost. But I'd like any input or suggestions y'all might have.
Thanks.

Old 11-06-2013, 08:59 AM
AXARUNNER is a splendid one to beholdAXARUNNER is a splendid one to beholdAXARUNNER is a splendid one to beholdAXARUNNER is a splendid one to beholdAXARUNNER is a splendid one to beholdAXARUNNER is a splendid one to beholdAXARUNNER is a splendid one to beholdAXARUNNER is a splendid one to behold
Do what I did and trade in your car for a 2013. There are really good deals out there and you will not regret it.

Old 11-06-2013, 10:20 AM
drcollie has a reputation beyond reputedrcollie has a reputation beyond reputedrcollie has a reputation beyond reputedrcollie has a reputation beyond reputedrcollie has a reputation beyond reputedrcollie has a reputation beyond reputedrcollie has a reputation beyond reputedrcollie has a reputation beyond reputedrcollie has a reputation beyond reputedrcollie has a reputation beyond reputedrcollie has a reputation beyond repute
IBIS - what tires are you running on your car and how worn are they? Tires make a huge difference in ride quality.

Old 11-06-2013, 05:00 PM
007 Vantage has much to be proud of007 Vantage has much to be proud of007 Vantage has much to be proud of007 Vantage has much to be proud of007 Vantage has much to be proud of007 Vantage has much to be proud of007 Vantage has much to be proud of007 Vantage has much to be proud of
Is all about rotating mass. The newer ones ride better because aston has gone to great lengths to minimize rotating mass.

Lighter wheels, tires, and most importantly 2-piece lightweight brake rotors. Do those and the car will ride significantly better, AND handle better with more responsive sporty feel. It really is the best of both worlds.

Old 11-06-2013, 08:32 PM
Speedraser has much to be proud ofSpeedraser has much to be proud ofSpeedraser has much to be proud ofSpeedraser has much to be proud ofSpeedraser has much to be proud ofSpeedraser has much to be proud ofSpeedraser has much to be proud ofSpeedraser has much to be proud of
The suspension was revised for the '09 model year. Have you considered installing the Sports Pack? It's not cheap, especially with the lighter forged wheels, but IMO it's an excellent setup.

Old 11-07-2013, 08:27 AM
IbisRider has a brilliant futureIbisRider has a brilliant futureIbisRider has a brilliant futureIbisRider has a brilliant futureIbisRider has a brilliant futureIbisRider has a brilliant futureIbisRider has a brilliant futureIbisRider has a brilliant futureIbisRider has a brilliant futureIbisRider has a brilliant futureIbisRider has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by Speedraser
The suspension was revised for the '09 model year. Have you considered installing the Sports Pack? It's not cheap, especially with the lighter forged wheels, but IMO it's an excellent setup.
Well, I've got Stuart/Velocity's lighter brake kit sitting in my garage where they aren't helping my ride quality very much. Maybe I should put those on.

Tires? OEM spec with too much tread depth to justify tossing them just yet.

Yeah, it's that '09+ suspension rev that I'm wondering about. I mostly wonder if the $30k - $40k I'd spend upgrading to a newer car is really much more than I'd spend if I try to build a revised suspension set up and add the cats, filters, etc.

When you say "not cheap", anyone know a round number for that?

Thanks for all of the tips, keep 'em coming.

Old 10-31-2016, 11:13 AM
FLMan is an unknown quantity at this point
I really love my 2016 Vantage V8. However, occasionally in my travels I need to board the vantage onto a ferry boat. For those time I really need a higher ride height even if only temporarily to be able to drive on & off the boat. Any suggestions for adjustable ride height?

Old 10-31-2016, 11:25 AM
telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !
KW offers height adjustment as an add-on component to their coilovers, but you're looking at several thousand dollars altogether for the suspension setup.

Old 10-31-2016, 02:13 PM
mkzhang has much to be proud ofmkzhang has much to be proud ofmkzhang has much to be proud ofmkzhang has much to be proud ofmkzhang has much to be proud ofmkzhang has much to be proud ofmkzhang has much to be proud ofmkzhang has much to be proud of
Older cars also have older parts, the suspension bushings and bearings are aged and that has an effect on ride comfort and ability to absorb bumps etc

Old 10-31-2016, 08:14 PM
jmargolese will become famous soon enoughjmargolese will become famous soon enough
I have an 08 with stock many other mods like cats, headers, muffler, lightweight rotors, ecu tune... the car drives beautifully but I know what you mean on the stiffness. I have looked into the kw as well as the nitron shock setup, both look great and might solve the problem. Issue is the $5,000 including install that goes with it. I'm not sure it's worth it. My next mod, if I keep the car is the lightweight fly wheel. A better clutch that's newer with faster shifts is very appealing.