Aston Martin DB7, DB9, DBS, Vantage V8, Vanquish, and Classic models

Vantage Brakes

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-21-2014, 07:39 AM
astongirl is on a distinguished road
Vantage Brakes

I am tired of the brake dust that my vantage produces and I am at 5-10% so it's time to change out the pads. From the forum research I did some time ago, I'd like to change to Porterfields R4S pads.

I wanted members' feedback on changing brake pads on a Vantage. Is this a simple job or is it something that should be taken to the shop to do?

Old 02-21-2014, 07:58 AM
DonL has a brilliant futureDonL has a brilliant futureDonL has a brilliant futureDonL has a brilliant futureDonL has a brilliant futureDonL has a brilliant futureDonL has a brilliant futureDonL has a brilliant futureDonL has a brilliant futureDonL has a brilliant futureDonL has a brilliant future
Changing pads on the Vantage is easy...drive two pins out, disassemble, thoroughly clean, and reassemble. If you have done disc brakes before, it's not very different from other cars. You just need to exercise a little extra care due to the painted calipers.
When I installed the Porterfields on my Vantage, I had to spend a little time with a small file to "clean up" the wear sensor slots so that the sensors went in without too much force. FYI, the Porterfield pads are not "mirror images" so on one side of the car, I can't remember which, the wear pad wiring doesn't reinstall in the factory position-a couple of small tie wraps solve the problem.
I'm very happy with the R4-S pads, both on the street and the track...good choice!

Old 02-21-2014, 08:25 AM
Basic Sponsor
Stuart@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Stuart@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Stuart@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Stuart@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Stuart@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Stuart@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Stuart@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Stuart@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Stuart@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Stuart@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Stuart@VelocityAP Is a GOD !
What DonL said!

206 Maple Avenue
Oliver, BC
Canada V2A 4W6
Office: (1)250-485-5126
www.velocityap.com
Old 02-21-2014, 09:53 AM
Jibberingloon will become famous soon enough
Yes simple procedure.

I went for some Performance Friction pads and they are 100% better than the standard ones.

Old 02-21-2014, 11:33 AM
Thanks for the information! I am ordering the pads today :-)

Old 02-21-2014, 09:52 PM
DonL has a brilliant futureDonL has a brilliant futureDonL has a brilliant futureDonL has a brilliant futureDonL has a brilliant futureDonL has a brilliant futureDonL has a brilliant futureDonL has a brilliant futureDonL has a brilliant futureDonL has a brilliant futureDonL has a brilliant future
A year old video of the front pad replacement...

Thanks to "big500" for taking the time to prepare and post the video!

Old 03-10-2014, 03:43 PM
So far I love the Porterfields!!! Barely any brake dust compared to the old pads ....Thanks to all for your feedback.

Old 03-10-2014, 03:49 PM
Basic Sponsor
Stuart@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Stuart@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Stuart@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Stuart@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Stuart@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Stuart@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Stuart@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Stuart@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Stuart@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Stuart@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Stuart@VelocityAP Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by astongirl
So far I love the Porterfields!!! Barely any brake dust compared to the old pads ....Thanks to all for your feedback.
Great News Monica. Glad they worked out for you

Sounds like a fair bit less wheel washing in your future.

206 Maple Avenue
Oliver, BC
Canada V2A 4W6
www.velocityap.com
Old 03-11-2014, 12:04 AM
007 Vantage has much to be proud of007 Vantage has much to be proud of007 Vantage has much to be proud of007 Vantage has much to be proud of007 Vantage has much to be proud of007 Vantage has much to be proud of007 Vantage has much to be proud of007 Vantage has much to be proud of
Carbotech 1521 compound pads, zero dust, zero noise

Old 03-11-2014, 07:43 AM
RudyP is on a distinguished road
My new to me 2010 vantage has terrible brake squeal at low speeds. Would the carbotech 1521 pads cut out the squeal. Not interested in hardcore performance as this is not my track car. I just want a quiet street pad.

Old 03-11-2014, 08:29 AM
Basic Sponsor
Originally Posted by RudyP
My new to me 2010 vantage has terrible brake squeal at low speeds. Would the carbotech 1521 pads cut out the squeal. Not interested in hardcore performance as this is not my track car. I just want a quiet street pad.
Hi Rudy,

The OP ended up going with the Porterfield R4-S compound, seems like she's quite happy with the low dust.

I am a vendor for these parts if you're interested in a set. There's a lot of 6speeders who are running them and very happy with them.

206 Maple Avenue
Oliver, BC
Canada V2A 4W6
www.velocityap.com
Old 03-11-2014, 11:54 AM
RudyP is on a distinguished road
I've had Portefields in the past (I think R4) and they seemed a bit more aggressive/track oriented than what I am looking forward. Really just looking for a quiet, low dust pad and do not need stronger bite, better heat resistance, etc... Are the R4-S definitely going to be quiet? If so, I'll give them a shot but in my experience, the more aggressive the pad, the more likely it will squeal.

Old 03-11-2014, 11:59 AM
Basic Sponsor
Originally Posted by RudyP
I've had Portefields in the past (I think R4) and they seemed a bit more aggressive/track oriented than what I am looking forward. Really just looking for a quiet, low dust pad and do not need stronger bite, better heat resistance, etc... Are the R4-S definitely going to be quiet? If so, I'll give them a shot but in my experience, the more aggressive the pad, the more likely it will squeal.
The R4-S is a 'heavy street' compound. They have some other R4 compounds that are racing compounds. All the reviews I've seen and my experiences are that they are a very low dust compound. Out of perhaps 25 sets of pads I have sold I've only had 1 person complain of noise, and in that case I don't believe that the shims or grease were utilized, or that they weren't utilized correctly.

Hopefully some more 6speeders who have used the R4-S can chime in with their experiences.

206 Maple Avenue
Oliver, BC
Canada V2A 4W6
www.velocityap.com
Old 03-11-2014, 12:36 PM
captain Greg is a splendid one to beholdcaptain Greg is a splendid one to beholdcaptain Greg is a splendid one to beholdcaptain Greg is a splendid one to beholdcaptain Greg is a splendid one to beholdcaptain Greg is a splendid one to beholdcaptain Greg is a splendid one to behold
I have EBC red stuff pads in stock , any comments if they are ok or not?

Old 03-11-2014, 07:38 PM
rbobby is on a distinguished road
I just put on the r4-s last week. Bit too early to give definitive feedback but so far so good. Roughly 80% less dust vs stock after a long drive. I never had too much issue with noise with stock, so far porterfield is same or better.
My installer had to do some filing on the pads because they didn't fit exactly. I don't know the details.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Vantage Brakes