Aston Martin DB7, DB9, DBS, Vantage V8, Vanquish, and Classic models

Driving fast

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-14-2014, 06:57 AM
oo7
oo7 will become famous soon enoughoo7 will become famous soon enough
Driving fast

After logging over 400k miles on various p cars over the years, their manners and "feel" became as comforting as an old sneaker. I've driven my Vantage just about 25k miles and this morning as circumstances required a spirited drive of 45 miles to arrive on time, over country roads with hairpins and long straits, roads traveled many times in my p cars, I at last gained a near thorough understanding of the Aston. It's forte is not otherworldly steering feel and communication of road surface and limits of friction as in the p car, but rather a more subtle delivery of these conditions to the driver. The communication becomes less subtle the closer you get to the cars limits, not that it is struggling though. I was admittedly disappointed by initial jaunts down the country roads in my area in the Aston. I mistakenly believed the car was primarily about looks and sound. I know otherwise now. It is not an inferior "feel", but a different one that is more capable than I imagined. Being older I did not press the car as I did the p cars, and this naturally denied me the opportunity to experience it's characteristics in a way that made it more familiar and comfortable. For those of you out there, like me, a little older, press on, you will be surprised and rewarded. Those younger, budget for tires!

Last edited by oo7; 03-14-2014 at 10:55 AM.
Old 03-14-2014, 07:18 AM
dicktahoe is a glorious beacon of lightdicktahoe is a glorious beacon of lightdicktahoe is a glorious beacon of lightdicktahoe is a glorious beacon of lightdicktahoe is a glorious beacon of light
One of my favorite roads. After about an hour my wife (in the passenger seat) said, "How much further?" and I said, "Oh about another hour"--Much more FUN for me than for her, that's for sure.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	A-M 140.jpg
Views:	118
Size:	1.74 MB
ID:	346709  
Old 03-14-2014, 07:54 AM
slayer of souls is on a distinguished road
I see nothing like that in Toronto. Lucky man

Old 03-14-2014, 10:00 AM
drcollie has a reputation beyond reputedrcollie has a reputation beyond reputedrcollie has a reputation beyond reputedrcollie has a reputation beyond reputedrcollie has a reputation beyond reputedrcollie has a reputation beyond reputedrcollie has a reputation beyond reputedrcollie has a reputation beyond reputedrcollie has a reputation beyond reputedrcollie has a reputation beyond reputedrcollie has a reputation beyond repute
I think the Aston Martin Vantage is one of the most delightful street cars to drive at 9/10's and even 10/10ths that I have ever had on the track. It's wonderful neutral in the handling, approaches the limits gently and without the sudden snap you get with a Porsche and reminds me of a very well set-up BMW M3 (and that's a high compliment). Best of all, its not tiring to drive fast. When you hustle a Porsche, the car is equally capable but requires more work and a high level attention to the feedback, else you'll be kissing the Armco in the 911. I've not run my Aston on the track on Stickey Race Tires, but the chassis can easily out-perform the stock OEM Summer Street tires.

Old 03-14-2014, 10:26 AM
RudyP is on a distinguished road
dicktahoe - that is an awesome sign! Looks like a fund place!

oo7 - thanks for the post. As a recent Aston owner (<100 miles on my V8V so far) and longtime 911 driver, I am still feeling out my Vantage and have not really had a chance to push it yet. But I look forward to some more fun drives as the weather improves and I get it out more. At first blush, it is definitely not as intuitive and fluid as the 911s but feels quite planted and predictable.

Old 03-14-2014, 10:31 AM
RolexDaytona1 has a spectacular aura aboutRolexDaytona1 has a spectacular aura aboutRolexDaytona1 has a spectacular aura about
This is good to hear.. I have been probably playing it safe in the 7/10ths range since my purchase 7months ago. Funny how my driving changed around age 40. Yrs back my '95 Dakar Yellow M3 made me look like a better driver than I was... I hope the same of the Aston.

I did however drive from Akron Ohio near the great lakes to North Florida (13hrs) the day I picked her up. Several blasts to well past legal numbers and many mountainous sweepers. I appreciated that I got out of the car 875 miles later with a very good appreciaton for the front end feel and with zero back pain. It always feels planted and 'safe'. My NSX bit me a few times. Easy to drive yourself out of talent in a long wheelbase mid engine car.

I remember reading the owners manual when I got home... and the many initial warnings about all the reading you need to do before operating the vehicle the first time. funny. Its a car not a detonator.

Cheers, and here is to more learning of the car's virtues!

Old 04-14-2014, 12:42 PM
XWCGT has a spectacular aura aboutXWCGT has a spectacular aura aboutXWCGT has a spectacular aura about
the AMV8 is an amazing car. beyond beauty, it is a fine performance car. a little on the heavy side, vs the 911 but certainly has the power. (a little under powered compared to the Vipers and vets of the world). But, its crisp feel and predictable handling is second to none. It is a track car with street tires and a bunch of leather. However, its not a very comfortable riding car, due to its performance set up. I think my race car, (was still driven to races up to a year ago) was softer to drive to the track and it was STIFF. But, you don't buy a 2 seater sports car, with the expectation that you are going to get a caddy (or a 500SEL) for ride quality.

Old 04-14-2014, 08:12 PM
black penguin has a brilliant futureblack penguin has a brilliant futureblack penguin has a brilliant futureblack penguin has a brilliant futureblack penguin has a brilliant futureblack penguin has a brilliant futureblack penguin has a brilliant futureblack penguin has a brilliant futureblack penguin has a brilliant futureblack penguin has a brilliant futureblack penguin has a brilliant future
I have owned an AMv8 and a V12 Vantage.The cars have similarities, but they are different. BOTH cars have some of the best steering I have ever driven (I have most recently also owned an R8V10 and a track prepped Cayman R).The carbon ceramic brakes have amazing feel and work at beautifuly even when they are cold. The chassis is a joy. Yes, the rear end swings out, but it's predictable and fun. In fact that is one of the great things abou this car, it likes to rotate, but is not figidty or nervous.

Old 04-14-2014, 10:20 PM
WildBob has a spectacular aura aboutWildBob has a spectacular aura about
I know my 9 doesn't equate to the Vs due to the longer wheelbase and heavier weight, but after spending 150+ miles on the track with dialed-in suspension with Porsches, Vettes and BMWs, I was thoroughly impressed with the capabilities against these lighter more powerful cars..and I felt totally safe with DSC off at 9/10ths...

I purposely didn't push it to the limit, but showed many of these cars the fast way around the corners with the exception of the winged BMWs and GT3s which stuck like glue in the high speed sweepers...and to me the steering feel and reduced assist as speed increases are brilliant!

On the road I find myself grinning from ear to ear with the confidence this car inspires in me... but I leave DSC on to remind me to stay in the 7-8/10ths range...

Like the OP, I am not a young man, and I've driven many well sorted cars on road and track...but my Aston gives me more smiles per mile than any before it...

We are lucky blokes indeed!

Last edited by WildBob; 04-14-2014 at 10:23 PM.
Old 04-15-2014, 08:02 AM
telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !
I've pushed my V8V extensively and I'm never disappointed. It isn't the best all-out performance car out there, of course, but it's extraordinarily capable given that it also looks, sounds, and feels amazing. The handling is incredibly neutral and the only shortcoming I've really noticed is that you can feel the car's weight during quick, continuous transitions (like esses). Even with the traction control off, the car is still immensely predictable. I've taken plenty of people for spirited rides, including on track, and just about all of them are surprised by the car's capabilities and say, "I didn't know an Aston could do that."

It's a shame so few Astons are pushed to the extent that they can be. There aren't many out there, and far fewer driven over 7/10's. It's great to see people out there running them, especially the larger DB9's like WildBob's

Originally Posted by dicktahoe
One of my favorite roads. After about an hour my wife (in the passenger seat) said, "How much further?" and I said, "Oh about another hour"--Much more FUN for me than for her, that's for sure.
LOL! I've seen your avatar pic and thousand times and never actually read the sign. It's... it's beautiful...

Last edited by telum01; 04-15-2014 at 08:05 AM.
Old 04-15-2014, 09:21 AM
dicktahoe is a glorious beacon of lightdicktahoe is a glorious beacon of lightdicktahoe is a glorious beacon of lightdicktahoe is a glorious beacon of lightdicktahoe is a glorious beacon of light
Originally Posted by telum01
I've pushed my V8V extensively and I'm never disappointed. It isn't the best all-out performance car out there, of course, but it's extraordinarily capable given that it also looks, sounds, and feels amazing. The handling is incredibly neutral and the only shortcoming I've really noticed is that you can feel the car's weight during quick, continuous transitions (like esses). Even with the traction control off, the car is still immensely predictable. I've taken plenty of people for spirited rides, including on track, and just about all of them are surprised by the car's capabilities and say, "I didn't know an Aston could do that."

It's a shame so few Astons are pushed to the extent that they can be. There aren't many out there, and far fewer driven over 7/10's. It's great to see people out there running them, especially the larger DB9's like WildBob's

LOL! I've seen your avatar pic and thousand times and never actually read the sign. It's... it's beautiful...
I'm glad you noticed the Sign--It tells the story of 140 smiles. This road goes from Red Bluff, CA out to the Coast and has very little traffic.