Stuff I am working on - Page 5 - 6SpeedOnline - Porsche Forum and Luxury Car Resource

Aston Martin DB7, DB9, DBS, Vantage V8, Vanquish, and Classic models
Sponsored by:

Stuff I am working on

Old 02-14-2017, 06:30 PM
Basic Sponsor
Redpants has a reputation beyond reputeRedpants has a reputation beyond reputeRedpants has a reputation beyond reputeRedpants has a reputation beyond reputeRedpants has a reputation beyond reputeRedpants has a reputation beyond reputeRedpants has a reputation beyond reputeRedpants has a reputation beyond reputeRedpants has a reputation beyond reputeRedpants has a reputation beyond reputeRedpants has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by handyman2009 View Post
That's awesome Rich, thank you.
It was all era2076! Gotta love it when a guy has an idea and goes for it. I just did what I could to facilitate it.

Old 02-14-2017, 07:58 PM
DetomasoGTS74 is a glorious beacon of lightDetomasoGTS74 is a glorious beacon of lightDetomasoGTS74 is a glorious beacon of lightDetomasoGTS74 is a glorious beacon of lightDetomasoGTS74 is a glorious beacon of lightDetomasoGTS74 is a glorious beacon of light
Originally Posted by era2076 View Post
Those are the numbers I got for my OEM 7 spokes.

chr
Has anyone ever weighed the sportpack wheels (5 spoke split)?

Old 02-14-2017, 10:02 PM
hkg1997 is on a distinguished road
Can BCforged machine their wheels to accept OEM caps?

Old 02-15-2017, 07:58 AM
Basic Sponsor
Redpants has a reputation beyond reputeRedpants has a reputation beyond reputeRedpants has a reputation beyond reputeRedpants has a reputation beyond reputeRedpants has a reputation beyond reputeRedpants has a reputation beyond reputeRedpants has a reputation beyond reputeRedpants has a reputation beyond reputeRedpants has a reputation beyond reputeRedpants has a reputation beyond reputeRedpants has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by hkg1997 View Post
Can BCforged machine their wheels to accept OEM caps?
The short answer is yes, but I don't recommend it.

There are at least a couple different sizes of OEM center caps, so they would need the ones that you have to make sure they're milling for the right size. There are also at least a few different finishes for the OEM center caps, so it'd be very difficult to match the exact finish.

I'll be adding this to my BC Forged thread as well.

[email protected]

Last edited by Redpants; 02-15-2017 at 08:00 AM.
Old 02-18-2017, 06:35 PM
era2076 is on a distinguished road
Not much opening - all of it maybe for not. A lot of fabrication to find out we choked it off. Won't know til we run it and check temps.

Very happy with the wheels Rich - Thank You.

Sent all the gray parts back to paint. I had them shot with flat clear coat, but we are re-shooting in semi gloss to match the rear cover under the muffler.

Old 02-19-2017, 04:45 AM
Montana107 is on a distinguished road
Those are great looking wheels era2076

Old 02-19-2017, 04:43 PM
Thanks Montana - I really like them. They tend to let the silver paint stand more on it's own. I always feel like the silver 7 spokes are too close to the silver color of the cars, washing them out.

I built a silver GTI spec, Gen 1 Scirocco back in the day. I used Eurpoean GTI wheels which were finished in natural aluminum. At that time all US spec GTI's ran natural aluminum with black high-lighted wheels. That car looked great. Sadly it was destroyed when over steered into a concrete barrier on a wet on ramp.

I am anxious to get the Vantage back on the ground.

chr

Old 02-20-2017, 09:13 PM
Added a collar

Needs some fitting at the plate but we are on our way. Hope to start packaging back to grill.

Old 02-23-2017, 08:59 PM
Well bummer - version 2 ended up kind of sucking also . We were doing pretty well until it came time insert it into the rotor. It did not fit and was going to take some serious hammer work to make it fit smoothy which does not bother me, but I could not live with reducing the inlet area anymore. I went back over to the shop this evening and Gene had Rev 3 mocked up and ready to weld. It is very nice and increased the inlet area.

Instead of 2 pieces formed around the buck he formed the upper radius-ed piece and then tacked it to the backing plate.

He increased the sheet thickness from .050 to .100 which greatly facilitates welding.

We use them for everything In this case he removed the flange completely.

They will weld it up in the morning - The entire plate and inlet have to fit into the rotor such that the inside face of the backing plate and inlet are co-planar with the inside face of the rotor. That made rev 2 less than a stellar at fit.

We fit it on the car with the rotor and it looked really good. Besides the increased inlet area, the rotor spun freely.

chr

Old 02-25-2017, 06:07 PM

Just have to figure out the fender liner. We are hoping to run from the lower grill to the liner with permanent hose. Then attach short hose from liner to to duct for track work. Also need to work out some kind of lower grill blocking plates for the street. I rotated lock to lock and the hose nicely compresses below the control arm on inner lock.

chr

Old 02-26-2017, 02:49 AM
bunob is on a distinguished road
Nice job !

Old 03-01-2017, 06:02 PM
Thank you bunob - they are very nice.

Gene cannot stand the weld reinforcement because of the quality of the car and surrounding components. I stopped by this morning and he had completed the passenger side -

I like them welded, but this work really is beautiful and all done old school.

We loosely mounted the inner liner to see how the hose packaging could work. With just some small radius-ing of the liner the hose will nicely come thru. I ordered some 3" thin wall alum tube and a 45 deg elbow. We are going to try to bracket the tube to the rails and end the 45 just at the liner. That will make the the tube section rigid and then we can just slip on a short flex hose for track work. This will also keep the liner separate from the cooling system which will make removal and re-assembly of the liner OEM.

Seems these things never work out with the first plan though -

Brake Late - Brake Hard - pray it stops

chr

Old 03-09-2017, 04:20 PM

We decided to move the tow point to the center of the car. This will make both intakes symmetrical in design

This one gets measured and re-cut on the CNC. We are going to add wings on both sides to get load distribution across the back of the beam.

3" intake tubing - media blasted to dull.

Silicon coupler to get 45 to Straight section. Straight section gets rigidly mounted. The straight section is quite short in final form. Silicon coupler will clamp to straight section only.

45 sticking thru aluminum flange. Aluminum flange rivets to liner. 45 elbow slides out of coupler and liner can be removed. 45 elbow will push in and pull out for assembly.

I like this location becuse there is no interference with the sway bar or steering arms. Flex hose still tucks nicely at lock.

Ford Raptor 2.2" Lug nuts with V Collection extended studs leaves 1/4" of exposed thread when threaded all the way onto the stud. I purchased the lug nuts from CJ Pony parts.

Old 03-11-2017, 03:40 PM
Montana107 is on a distinguished road
That is a close tolerance between the lug nuts and the wheels... Any issue getting an impact socket in there?

Old 03-12-2017, 12:57 AM
I was very surprised - I thought for sure there would not be clearance. I used a standard socket and had no problems. The wheel needs to be straight. I prefer the smaller splined, but have yet to find one that will work with the extended studs. Rich is working on some 12 point open ended, but these do work.

chr

Search this Thread
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:
Join 6SpeedOnline
Visit our Sponsors