New owner of '12 V8 Vantage S - 6SpeedOnline - Porsche Forum and Luxury Car Resource

Aston Martin DB7, DB9, DBS, Vantage V8, Vanquish, and Classic models
Sponsored by:

New owner of '12 V8 Vantage S

Old 09-12-2018, 06:35 PM
Jenn Whiskers is an unknown quantity at this point
Talking New owner of '12 V8 Vantage S

Hey All!

New to the forum! Bought a new to me 2012 V8 Vantage S in August and loving the car so far. I bought it knowing the brakes would need to be done fairly soon and I'm trying to get parts together for that. I'm looking for anyone that has replaced the OEM front and rear rotors with a different brand...preferably ones that are slotted. Of course, I will also be replacing the pads and if anyone has recommendations on ones that don't dust nearly as bad as stock, that would be great lol.

I also do a lot of my own work, so if there is anyone that has a source for a shop manual for the car that would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks and look forward to getting involved in the Aston community!

Also added a picture of my girl with her DBS wheels

Old 09-12-2018, 07:09 PM
terminal_ac is a name known to allterminal_ac is a name known to allterminal_ac is a name known to allterminal_ac is a name known to allterminal_ac is a name known to allterminal_ac is a name known to all
See this thread for your service manuals

https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...-download.html

As for brake shoes, you may want to go with Porterfield 4S's. I dropped those into my car very shortly after I purchasing it. They reduce the dust quite significantly.

After market brake rotors are out of my scope of interest.

Old 09-13-2018, 10:05 AM
J doubleU is a jewel in the roughJ doubleU is a jewel in the roughJ doubleU is a jewel in the rough
Welcome Jenn, You shouldn't need rotors if your under 30k mi. Brake pads go with the Porterfields 4s as recommended by 90% on here. Nice ride for sure with the DBS wheels. Looks like a local SoCal car? JW

Old 09-13-2018, 11:38 AM
Zettinger is just really niceZettinger is just really niceZettinger is just really niceZettinger is just really nice
Welcome and congratulations!

+1 on the Porterfield R4-S brake pads.
No squeal and no dust!

Redpants.lol would be your source for DIY

Last edited by Zettinger; 09-13-2018 at 12:19 PM.
Old 09-13-2018, 11:45 AM
skywagon is a jewel in the roughskywagon is a jewel in the roughskywagon is a jewel in the rough
Welcome to the forum! I live in Chandler, AZ as well and perform all of my own work. There are a few of us locals who have exchanged information. We try to help each other out where we can. Feel free to PM me.

I have done some significant upgrades to my 2007 so far and have some other changes planned for this winter. Mainly, I will be installing a lightweight clutch/flywheel I purchased from Velocity AP last year. Here is a link to my build thread: https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...ld-thread.html I have not updated it in a while as nothing has changed.

I agree with other comments, you should not need rotors at 30k miles. I am at 43k miles on my car with it's original rotors. The pads were changed at 20k. I am running the Porterfield R4-S pads as they dust way less than the stock pads.

Old 09-13-2018, 02:28 PM
HabitualOffender is a name known to allHabitualOffender is a name known to allHabitualOffender is a name known to allHabitualOffender is a name known to allHabitualOffender is a name known to allHabitualOffender is a name known to all
Congrats and welcome. 4S here also. You've had it long enough to know cleaning that dust out of those spokes is brutal. I changed them for dust only. I miss the extra bite of the factory pads and the squeal was acceptable, but the dust was not.

Old 09-13-2018, 07:06 PM
pearsonhaus is on a distinguished road
Welcome aboard and congrats. Beautiful Vantage!

Old 09-15-2018, 02:10 PM
Gene G is a splendid one to beholdGene G is a splendid one to beholdGene G is a splendid one to beholdGene G is a splendid one to beholdGene G is a splendid one to beholdGene G is a splendid one to beholdGene G is a splendid one to behold
Definitely Porterfield R4S pads. Available from Rich at Redpants a forum member. If you need rotors he is also a good source. Congratulations on your new toy.

Old Yesterday, 06:53 PM
Thank you guys for the warm welcome! Looking forward to many great years with this car!

terminal_ac: Thank you for the link to the workshop manuals, those are going to be a huge help!
J doubleU: It is a So Cal car! Bought it from the Aston Martin Newport Beach dealership...they were great!
Zettinger: Thanks for the Redpants link...looks like there is going to be a lot of helpful information there!
skywagon: (any chance that's because of the C-185?) Great to see there is a group near by! Just finished building my detached garage complete with lift at my house (picture below). Lift rental fee is a six pack per day Do you all do any organized drives out here? Love the car in grey!
HabitualOffender: Yeah the brake dust levels are crazy! I've never had any other car dust this bad!

So it sounds like the Porterfield R4S is the hands down winner for the brake pads. I'll be ordering up a set of those! The rotors in the front I think are fine...the issue is the rear...they have some massive grooves/ridging in them. I was going to check if there was enough wear left in them to get them turned, but something tells me that it's not going to be possible. So at the very least, I need new rotors in the rear and the front I may be able to ride out a little longer.

Thanks again for the recommendations! Keep 'em coming! Happy motoring!

Old Yesterday, 07:00 PM
HabitualOffender is a name known to allHabitualOffender is a name known to allHabitualOffender is a name known to allHabitualOffender is a name known to allHabitualOffender is a name known to allHabitualOffender is a name known to all
Holy smokes, climate controlled with 20 foot ceilings! You don't play!

Old Yesterday, 07:02 PM
terminal_ac is a name known to allterminal_ac is a name known to allterminal_ac is a name known to allterminal_ac is a name known to allterminal_ac is a name known to allterminal_ac is a name known to all
Originally Posted by Jenn Whiskers View Post
Thank you guys for the warm welcome! Looking forward to many great years with this car!

terminal_ac: Thank you for the link to the workshop manuals, those are going to be a huge help!
[snip...]
So it sounds like the Porterfield R4S is the hands down winner for the brake pads. I'll be ordering up a set of those! The rotors in the front I think are fine...the issue is the rear...they have some massive grooves/ridging in them. I was going to check if there was enough wear left in them to get them turned, but something tells me that it's not going to be possible. So at the very least, I need new rotors in the rear and the front I may be able to ride out a little longer.

Thanks again for the recommendations! Keep 'em coming! Happy motoring!
No worries dude. With patience, you can get all the answer you need here.

That garage though! Love it!

Ok, check astonmartinbits.com for your parts.

Old Yesterday, 07:14 PM
Thanks guys...it's my very modest "she-shed" All the boys in the neighborhood are super jealous...especially when they saw the lift going in! Got a marriage proposal out of it...though his wife didn't find it as funny as I did! lol Currently in the process of getting the workbenches built and all the tools moved over and organized from the attached garage. Hopefully a few more weeks and it'll be 100% done!