Flashing the CRM, what does that mean? - 6SpeedOnline - Porsche Forum and Luxury Car Resource

Go Back  6SpeedOnline - Porsche Forum and Luxury Car Resource > British > Aston Martin
Reload this Page >

Flashing the CRM, what does that mean?

Aston Martin DB7, DB9, DBS, Vantage V8, Vanquish, and Classic models
Sponsored by:

Old 10-01-2018, 01:21 PM
Denver V8V is an unknown quantity at this point

I'm about to replace the CRM in my V8V R and in watching redpants video he mentions I have to take it to the dealer to have it flashed. What is "flashing"? What does it do? He also mentioned some CRM's may not have to be flashed.

I located anew one from Scuderia at what seems to be a reasonable price v. the dealer. Redpants doesn't sell them anymore.

Old 10-01-2018, 03:55 PM
cuddapah has much to be proud ofcuddapah has much to be proud ofcuddapah has much to be proud ofcuddapah has much to be proud ofcuddapah has much to be proud ofcuddapah has much to be proud ofcuddapah has much to be proud ofcuddapah has much to be proud ofcuddapah has much to be proud ofcuddapah has much to be proud of
Flashing is the process of updating software with pre-defined optimal settings for various modules in the car.
In your case it might be just setting new CRM to work with your car.

Old 10-01-2018, 04:01 PM
J doubleU is a jewel in the roughJ doubleU is a jewel in the roughJ doubleU is a jewel in the roughJ doubleU is a jewel in the rough
Yep, programming new module to vehicle. You shouldn't have to do it. Plug and play. Unless you have any other roof faults.

Old 10-01-2018, 04:33 PM
Originally Posted by J doubleU View Post
Yep, programming new module to vehicle. You shouldn't have to do it. Plug and play. Unless you have any other roof faults.
Well my instrument panel went dead, no speedo, tach and icon light for brake and more lit up. Of course roof won't operate either. After reading thru the forum and seeing a photo that shows exactly what my issue is it was easy to arrive at this conclusion. Glad to hear I may not need to have it flashed. I would assume a plug and play situation

Thanks for the info

Old 10-05-2018, 05:56 PM
got one is on a distinguished road
So, was it an easy fix? Where in Denver are you?

Old 10-07-2018, 11:53 AM
Originally Posted by got one View Post
So, was it an easy fix? Where in Denver are you?
No. I have to replace the CRM and ordered the part.

Downtown, not far from the ballpark

Old 10-08-2018, 04:27 PM
zuman is a splendid one to beholdzuman is a splendid one to beholdzuman is a splendid one to beholdzuman is a splendid one to beholdzuman is a splendid one to beholdzuman is a splendid one to beholdzuman is a splendid one to behold
When I had to replace my CRM I ordered a replacement from one of the well-known overseas supply houses. The new unit arrived, I plugged it in myself, and it didn't work. I reconciled myself to getting it flashed by a dealer, so I drove four hours to the nearest one. The service manager called me and said that the technician couldn't get the new unit to accept the flash, but their parts department had a CRM on the shelf. I shrugged and said ok, and they installed their unit, saying it did not need to be flashed.
It's worked fine since then, and I returned my other unit, eating the postage and restocking fee.
Good luck!
By the way, you probably know that if you remove the defective unit your gauges and lights start working again. Your roof won't open, but at least the rest of the car functions.

Last edited by zuman; 10-08-2018 at 04:30 PM.
Old 10-08-2018, 05:11 PM
BMW-North is just really niceBMW-North is just really niceBMW-North is just really niceBMW-North is just really nice
I read this and another related thread with interest as I am trying to understand why the CRM failure would cause items to stop functioning that are outside it's control and actually controlled by a different module (CEM)?. I think an earlier poster might be correct when he stated that the CAN bus which is the comm network CEM uses to control those devices is pulled down by the failure of the CRM. The post above seems to confirm that. Still seems odd though? Any ideas?

Curious also to any diagnostic errors folk who had this issue have seen.