Bentley From the original 3 Litre to the current Continental GT and Mulsanne

anyone use a battery charger on their bentley?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-17-2014, 10:08 PM
jc_333 will become famous soon enough
Found it! 206426-1 is the part number for the AMP connector for those who may require it.

PM me your address and I will post it out for you, glad it can be put to good use.

Thanks

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-4024022081.jpg
Views:	1018
Size:	526.5 KB
ID:	402119

Old 09-19-2014, 11:51 PM
cl600bill is on a distinguished road
J, thanks for the offer-- that looks like the part with two small male prongs. I solved my problem by cutting off the wires in back of the female connector on the panel covering the battery compartment and threading the wires from the battery charger through the hole in the connector and splicing and soldering them to the wires from the battery. Now the connection is via the quick connect that came with the charger instead of the female plug on the panel. Works fine and even seems easier. Thanks for your advice --I look forward to communicating with you on this forum.
Bill

Old 09-20-2014, 06:55 AM
No worries Bill.

As long you managed to find a way to hook up your Ctek all is good.

Still need to check freon and find out if I have vac line issue as I can some sort of hissing from rear of engine.

Happy motoring.

J

Old 09-20-2014, 06:02 PM
J, thanks for the offer-- that looks like the part with two small male prongs. I solved my problem by cutting off the wires in back of the female connector on the panel covering the battery compartment and threading the wires from the battery charger through the hole in the connector and splicing and soldering them to the wires from the battery. Now the connection is via the quick connect that came with the charger instead of the female plug on the panel. Works fine and even seems easier. Thanks for your advice --I look forward to communicating with you on this forum.
Bill

Old 09-20-2014, 06:07 PM
J, so you said you use a 12 v connector -- does that plug into your cigarette lighter inside the car rather than the trunk. Does that charge well? That is my other option --I can buy a 12 v cigarette lighter male plug and wire that quick connects to the CTEK.

Old 11-27-2014, 03:36 PM
Update on ctek charger

Originally Posted by cl600bill
J, so you said you use a 12 v connector -- does that plug into your cigarette lighter inside the car rather than the trunk. Does that charge well? That is my other option --I can buy a 12 v cigarette lighter male plug and wire that quick connects to the CTEK.
Update on CTEK Chargers for Bentley owners to determine which unit to buy based on my experience:

First, the connection. I bought the cigarette lighter charger connection by CTEK. It fits both sizes of cigarette lighters through a sleeve adapter for the larger size. It works equally well as direct connections to the battery and for me was more convenient than connecting through the boot/trunk. I plug it in to the rear seat lighter socket and run the wire between the driver's side front and rear window by opening the rear window a little more than the width of the wire. I use the driver's side only because I am less likely to drive off with the charger and extension cord dragging behind.

My 2006 GT has a female connector in the panel covering the battery compartment. I could not find the male connector until a fellow 6 speed member offered to send me one. In the meantime I hardwired the boot connection and also bought the cigarette lighter connection. Of course later model Bentleys have a magnetic connection below the boot but I don't know if CTEK makes the connector or if it only comes with the much higher priced Bentley logo'ed charger which is also made by CTEK.

Secondly, the charger itself. I bought the CTEK US 3300 as it had all the features I thought I needed. It charged fine but never went into maintenance mode as indicated by the lights on the unit. I talked to CTEK customer service and after a few emails they sent me a replacement but the same results occurred. After a few more emails, CTEK concluded that the two batteries in the Bentley may require a higher ampere hour unit. I believe the 3300 is rated at 90 ampere hours and my battery is 95 PLUS the second battery. They recommended the US 7002 which is rated at 150ah. It works perfectly and is a high quality looking unit as is the 3300.

Old 12-02-2014, 09:49 PM
vanslam has a spectacular aura aboutvanslam has a spectacular aura aboutvanslam has a spectacular aura about
I use the CTEK 7002 connected to the 12V connectotr in the trunk...opps I mean the boot.

Old 12-03-2014, 07:35 AM
Dr.Disaster is a name known to allDr.Disaster is a name known to allDr.Disaster is a name known to allDr.Disaster is a name known to allDr.Disaster is a name known to allDr.Disaster is a name known to all
Originally Posted by vanslam
I use the CTEK 7002 connected to the 12V connectotr in the trunk...opps I mean the boot.
I did that for the last two years but not yet this year. Instead I bought all season tires and just keep running it.

If we weeks of heavy salted roads I might have too charge it then. We don't get persistent snow but the salt on the roads scares me.

Old 12-03-2014, 08:09 AM
stevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond repute
One day i'll post CTEK 7002 install photos. Basically, I extended the cable of the connector that attaches the inside left (driver's side USA) battery.

Battery --> 6 inches of cable to fuse (keep this cable short, fuse is MANDATORY!)

Fuse --> 4 or 5 feet of cable (soldered wire extension and heat shrinked) all wrapped in wire loom that goes from the trunk to the left (driver side USA) rectangular opening underneath the car (diffuser).

The end connecter wire loomed part will hang about 3 inches under the car freely yet will NEVER touch the ground. For 'storage', it can be attached INSIDE the rectangular open section of the rear diffuser via strong Velcro. Thus easy to attach /detach from the outside and if I forget to detach, the cable will easily detach itself without harm and will never touch the ground whilst operating the vehicle.

Lastly, about four times a year I clean the end connectors with Caig Labs DeoxIT D5 via pipe cleaner because the stock CTEK connectors are not gold plated and thus prone corrosion.

WARNING: Do this at YOUR OWN risk. If done wrong, or if something goes badly, the fuse may blow... or worst case scenario the car burns to the ground, sets your home on fire since the car is in your garage, which in turn sets your neighbors home on fire, eventually burns down the entire city....

Last edited by stevenrmusic; 12-03-2014 at 08:35 AM.
Old 12-03-2014, 08:24 AM
stevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond repute
Images step by step per se....

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC01101.jpg
Views:	2199
Size:	456.8 KB
ID:	409033   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC01102.jpg
Views:	2331
Size:	286.9 KB
ID:	409034   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC01103.jpg
Views:	757
Size:	225.3 KB
ID:	409035   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC01104.jpg
Views:	633
Size:	229.0 KB
ID:	409036   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC01105.jpg
Views:	588
Size:	223.9 KB
ID:	409037  

Old 12-03-2014, 08:25 AM
More pics......

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC01106.jpg
Views:	800
Size:	391.5 KB
ID:	409038   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC01107.jpg
Views:	655
Size:	280.6 KB
ID:	409039  
Old 12-03-2014, 08:52 AM
Dr.Disaster is a name known to allDr.Disaster is a name known to allDr.Disaster is a name known to allDr.Disaster is a name known to allDr.Disaster is a name known to allDr.Disaster is a name known to all
Please be kind to me when I expose myself. Metaphorically Why can I not use the plug in the boot to charge? Why take the risk of igniting the planet for charge of the car? If did a risk vs. reward analysis would it come port skewed badly?

Old 12-03-2014, 11:48 AM
We're all obviously over-thinking this. Of course use the boot jack, it works great. I wanted something different, that's all. Plus if I forget to unplug, no harm no foul BTW, I also have that weird jack too inside, yet didn't want a cord always being crushed by the trunk gasket.

Whatever makes you a happy-happy joy-joy guy Dr D is great.

It's all good

Old 12-03-2014, 11:54 AM
Originally Posted by enjoythemusic
didn't want a cord always being crushed by the trunk gasket.

It's all good
This is the only reason I could see so I just let the boot come down and rest on a towel without letting it power close.

Old 04-10-2015, 01:47 AM
Tried to recharge my battery last nite with the Bentley charger but failed.

The power LED is on but after a 6 hour charge the "start mode LED" is still flashing. However, same orange LED flashes when the charger is plugged in to mains so not sure if its recharging at all.

Could those with a Bentley and Ctek charger inform me if the any other LED lite up apart from power LED.

Many thanks!
J

Attached Images  

Last edited by jc_333; 04-10-2015 at 01:50 AM.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: anyone use a battery charger on their bentley?