Bentley From the original 3 Litre to the current Continental GT and Mulsanne

anyone use a battery charger on their bentley?

Old 04-10-2015, 11:41 AM
cl600bill is on a distinguished road
JC, I have the CTEK7002 charger not the Bentley which apparently CTEK makes. On the CTEK, a "MODE" must be selected to begin charging (NORMAL) and then the charging light flashes. The charged light comes on when fully charged (probably 24 hours for a fully discharged battery). Here is the URL for the CTEK manual --see pages 7 and 8 for instructions:
http://www.batterystuff.com/files/ma...us-7002_us.pdf

If you have the Bentley charger manual it will be more specific. The mode button on the CTEK is in the same place as reset on the Bentley that you pictured. Have you ever used the charger successfully before? If you have a cigarette lighter type connector, have you tried plugging it into the cigarette lighters in the front or back consoles to rule out a bad connection in the boot/trunk? Or use the alligator clips to attach directly to the battery instead of the connector.
Wish I could be more specific but these ideas may be a start

Old 04-10-2015, 07:28 PM
jc_333 will become famous soon enough
Hi Bill

Thanks for the reply.

Bentley charger is the XS7000 from Ctek. I've read the Bentley and ctek charger manuals but it makes no mention if the first LED (desulphation/start mode) is lite up with just mains plugged in.

Which LED lamps are lite up on your Ctek charger with just mains plugged in and without any battery connected? Mine has green power and slow flashing orange LED from the desulphation/start mode lamp. I will try the other front and rear ciggie lighters to see if it makes any difference and on my other cars too.

Many thanks!

J

Last edited by jc_333; 04-10-2015 at 07:37 PM.
Old 04-10-2015, 10:43 PM
On my CTEK 7002 charger the light that comes on is the green power light when I plug it in. When I press the MODE button, the orange NORMAL light comes on which is the standard charging mode. When I connect to the car, I think the charging light come on and after maybe 5 to 15 hours the charged light comes on depending on how low the battery was. I would try selecting the NORMAL mode by pressing the MODE button as you certainly don't need the snowflake mode if you are in HK. Hope you don't need a new battery -- probably not as your B is newer than mine

Old 04-11-2015, 08:03 AM
ExSF is a name known to allExSF is a name known to allExSF is a name known to allExSF is a name known to allExSF is a name known to allExSF is a name known to all
Just a point about the Cig' lighter sockets. The front and rear sockets each have their own separate fuse below the dash area.
My rear one had blown so that's how I found out.

Old 05-02-2015, 12:18 PM
JC 333, how did your battery charger issue resolve?

Old 05-07-2015, 08:22 PM
jc_333 will become famous soon enough
I’ve not checked the charger again since car came back from workshop. However, a fuse was replaced by them so that could be the culprit.

Both batteries were changed in 2013 with starter still healthy but main after 2 years can only hold 60% charge.

J

Originally Posted by cl600bill
JC 333, how did your battery charger issue resolve?

Old 09-04-2016, 04:40 PM
ContinentalGT05 is on a distinguished road
Ctek 7002

On another thread these comments were made:

1) if charging at 2 amp its ok to leave the battery negative terminal connected during the charge period. At over 2 AMP you should disconnect the negative terminal as charging with the higher amps can damage the battery controller. in fact some cars (not bentley) have a 2nd battery post that is not connected to the car for the purpose of "stand alone" battery charging

2) I just bought a CTEK 7002. It has a charging current of "7 Amp max". It does not allow me to select "2 amp" or any other specific amps. Its a smart charger so I guess it determines automatically what the battery needs.

Question a)

Should I use this charger with the negative battery terminal disconnected OR "without" disconnecting the negative terminal ? In other words, "if "this charger is starting out at 7amps (im guessing as its rated as 7 max) does this higher amp level require the Negative Terminal to be disconnected. [of note: CTEK sells the cigarette lighter connector so the implication is this is a convenient connector that does "not" involve the negative terminal being removed.]

QUESTION B)

I was told on another thread that charging a battery at 10amp once a week when the car has been sat undriven for two weeks is a recipe to damage the battery. I often dont drive the car for two weeks at a time. I cannot leave the charger on permanently as my garage in NYC wont allow it. I can use the charger say once a week overnight. is it ok to use this CTEK 7002 (max rated amps 7amp) say once a week overnight when the car has not been driven for a week or two ? or..is 7amp like 10 amp will damage the battery

Old 09-05-2016, 12:52 AM
ExSF is a name known to allExSF is a name known to allExSF is a name known to allExSF is a name known to allExSF is a name known to allExSF is a name known to all
I've used my Ctek a few times for as long as 3 days and have never disconnected the terminals. I have had no problems as a result.

Les.

Old 10-04-2016, 11:56 AM
Heathfield is an unknown quantity at this point
Battery support

I always attach a trickle charger to BOTH batteries as I used to only do one, and the right side one went flat. Now I always do both and it starts like a charm. Just a 1/2 amp intelligent charger. It is a must for more than a few weeks as there is quite a drain on the battery with all the ancillary equipment.

Old 10-06-2016, 07:20 AM
MikeH is on a distinguished road
I have the Ctek 7000XS, I remember reading the manual online and that only certain battery types are to use the desulph mode?

I have the ciggy lighter type plug on my Ctek which plugs into the socket in the boot which is connected to the battery on the left hand side and then i have to select mode NORMAL on the Ctek. The ciggy lighter plug has a green LED on the connector that shows its connected properly to the socket in the boot.

The orange lights display on the ctek battery logo lights until its full which then changes to green which i understand puts the charger into intermittent mode, backing off at 100% and kicking back in again once the battery drops 2% or so.

Iv left mine on charge for well over a week in this mode without any issues. Iv also left the Bentley stood without the charger and unused for upto 3 weeks at a time and it has still always started first time without problem. Receipts show last battery was bought in 2013.

Old 11-25-2016, 02:47 AM
Tintin is on a distinguished road
This thread has run for a while now and it appears that the Ctek range has changed a little. Can anyone suggest which current product would be suitable for my Continental GT please? Would it be the MXS 7.0, the XS 7000 (as discussed in this thread) or another model?

Thanks

Old 11-25-2016, 05:30 AM
I bought the ctek 7002 a few month ago and its worked great on my cgt05. I use a public garage which means I am unable to leave the charger permanently connected although I would like to do this. Instead I use a medtronic's battery tester to determine if the battery is in need of a recharge. When opening the trunk the left side battery is the one susceptible 2 drainage based on the electronics in the car even when the car is not started the battery to the right is not normally susceptible to significant drainage unless the battery is getting old. Again the medtronic's device will guide you in this regard. However if the battery to the right becomes weak and the car strains to start then this is a significant problem as its straining the starter motor which will eventually burn out and require engine out to replace the starter. Yes you read that correctly.

Old 11-25-2016, 11:50 AM
Originally Posted by Tintin
This thread has run for a while now and it appears that the Ctek range has changed a little. Can anyone suggest which current product would be suitable for my Continental GT please? Would it be the MXS 7.0, the XS 7000 (as discussed in this thread) or another model?

Thanks
I have the US model 7002 which I THINK is equivalent to the XS 7000 but you might check with the Euro support center at:

http://www.ctek.com/gb/en/page/support/contact

I bought a lesser model 3300 and could never achieve a full charge. Here's what the US support center told me:

"Bill
Just curious. How many batteries does your Bentley have? I spoke with someone today and they have 2 batteries in their Bentley that are hooked in parallel. When batteries are hooked in parallel you add the Ah (amp hour) rating together when selecting a charger. If that is the case, the MUS 3300 is not large enough most likely to maintain both. If you were going to purchase the "Bentley" battery charger it is the Mus7002. Let us know if this is possibly the culprit."

On a related battery subject, these cars are power hungry and a low battery will cause all kinds of problems. I just replaced both batteries in my 2006 CGT after having them checked and both were "bad". I was getting the "Low battery please start engine message" on the dash and getting all kinds of messages like "check running gear, check brake lights, check parking lamps, etc". On a half dozen occasions, it would not start at all -- I had to use the trick of turning the key to the left and then turning to right to start which it did -- apparently this switches batteries to allow the system battery to take the place of the starter battery. All issues disappeared with new Interstate batteries at a cost of $600 -- about $400 for batteries plus one hour labor and tax at an indie shop specializing in RR and Bentleys. Dealer was over $1000. Would not trust just any shop to install batteries as I think a diagnostic tool is required to reset things.

Old 11-25-2016, 03:05 PM
There is anotger great thread on batteries on the bently forum. I reccomend you readnit all.
The turn key keft (counter clockwise) is used in an emergency .,this actually does render both batteries connected in parallel temporarily so the weaker battery can benefit from the stronger.
I replafe both batteries myself and no codes wwre newded to reset. Afain, the other theead has all the details how to replace the batteries and reset codes if needed. The job wasnt easy but can be done by someone with a little car experience. .

Old 12-02-2016, 05:11 AM
Tintin is on a distinguished road
I spoke with CTEK and they recommended the MXS 7.0, so that's what I have bought along with the cigarette socket lead. There is no 'trickle charge' option, just 4 modes: Normal, AGM, Recond and Supply. In Normal mode the charger runs through 8 stages supplying 7 Amps during some stages. I will use the 12v socket on the left side of the boot and see what happens.

Search this Thread
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:
You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: anyone use a battery charger on their bentley?