Go Back  6SpeedOnline - Porsche Forum and Luxury Car Resource > British > Bentley
Reload this Page >

Anyone ever change this bulb? Seems impossible to reach, headlamp

Notices
Bentley From the original 3 Litre to the current Continental GT and Mulsanne

Anyone ever change this bulb? Seems impossible to reach, headlamp

Old 04-06-2017, 09:45 PM
jc333 will become famous soon enoughjc333 will become famous soon enough
Lots of loving on your BMW....i know its not a BMW forum but show us some pics of your new found love.

J

Originally Posted by stevenrmusic View Post
Good job guys and yeah LED is the way to go imho. Have all LED on the BMW, stock from factory, and love 'em.

Old 04-07-2017, 05:32 AM
stevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond repute
Thx JC333, much apprech. Will do later, as she's quite a bit dirty from driving her a lot. It's just a 2104 435i with Dinan Stage 2 mods right now, as we're waiting for the (backordered) Stage 4 big turbo to come in. Upping the intercooler by 240% and changing out the charge pipe to Evolution Racewerks, plus a few other small bits.

Already modded the stereo with Focal speakers and a powered subwoofer. The stock HK with Logic 7 surround sound was eh, so now she sounds muuuch better than the... Am truly having a blast in her, not just because she's new to me as go through cars. The BMW really is a blast and fun to drive as she is 'thrown' into the twisties. Dinan Stage 2 is relatively quick, yet when Stage 4 is installed she'll be a bat outta heck. Must say, the M brakes are juuust right for the feel i prefer and the driving technique to optimize grip, or perhaps not as we enjoy those oversteer moments, makes for a fun time.

Forgot how much fun driving at the limit, and perhaps a touch past it per se, really is. Will post some pics once i bother polishing her up.

BTW, hate the run-flat tires, which are new, so will burn through those (easy with Dinan Stage 4) and then go with the new Mich PS4S.

Old 04-08-2017, 10:50 PM
jc333 will become famous soon enoughjc333 will become famous soon enough
I'm glad your still on the forum with your valuable input.

A car is meant to be driven and you're sure to increase the fun factor when the big turbo is installed. Do make sure the brakes are up to the job or at least swap pads for better ones.

Agree run flats are horrible things but a life saver at the same time. I run PSS on the GT and the PS4 on another car so the PS4S will not disappoint.

I nearly forgot you were an audio enthusiast, will send you a PM with a few questions I have about an install.

Have fun and drive safe!

J

Originally Posted by stevenrmusic View Post
Thx JC333, much apprech. Will do later, as she's quite a bit dirty from driving her a lot. It's just a 2104 435i with Dinan Stage 2 mods right now, as we're waiting for the (backordered) Stage 4 big turbo to come in. Upping the intercooler by 240% and changing out the charge pipe to Evolution Racewerks, plus a few other small bits.

Already modded the stereo with Focal speakers and a powered subwoofer. The stock HK with Logic 7 surround sound was eh, so now she sounds muuuch better than the... Am truly having a blast in her, not just because she's new to me as go through cars. The BMW really is a blast and fun to drive as she is 'thrown' into the twisties. Dinan Stage 2 is relatively quick, yet when Stage 4 is installed she'll be a bat outta heck. Must say, the M brakes are juuust right for the feel i prefer and the driving technique to optimize grip, or perhaps not as we enjoy those oversteer moments, makes for a fun time.

Forgot how much fun driving at the limit, and perhaps a touch past it per se, really is. Will post some pics once i bother polishing her up.

BTW, hate the run-flat tires, which are new, so will burn through those (easy with Dinan Stage 4) and then go with the new Mich PS4S.

Old 04-28-2017, 01:27 AM
ExSF is a glorious beacon of lightExSF is a glorious beacon of lightExSF is a glorious beacon of lightExSF is a glorious beacon of lightExSF is a glorious beacon of light
Well, I had another go at swapping to the LED's that I bought for the GT.
Absolutely no chance. After removing the air hoses and the complete air filter housings I just could not get to these lamps and have a bruised arm to prove it.

So, after a little thought, I fitted the LED's into the side lights of my good lady's V70 Volvo, in my opinion, it looks much better as I also wired them up to become permanent DRL's. At least they didn't go to waste.

I may get some more and ask my Indie to fit them later this year.

Bentley, what a poor design, you should hang your heads in shame!

This is the first time working on a multitude of cars where I have failed to get something done myself.

Les.

Old 04-29-2017, 09:53 AM
lilo1980 has a spectacular aura aboutlilo1980 has a spectacular aura aboutlilo1980 has a spectacular aura about
Hey Les,

did you manage to open the lens cover or didn't reach that stage yet?

The top end of the rear of the headlight protrudes out (high beam housing). The trick is to bend your wrist following the contour of the high beam housing. The cover is directly underneath the high beam housing. When your wrist could feel the surface underneath the high beam housing, try to find the two end of the lens cover and locate the locking tabs. Refer to the pics I posted above. Once you manage to get the lens cover out, the parking bulb will be one near the outside edge of the car. Grip the end and pull out the light housing. The wires are long so you can pull it up a bit to swap the light bulb.

I just changed my passenger side yesterday. It took about 30 mins including partially putting back the lens cover. I disconnect the hose clamp then pushed the hose away from me. It definitely took some "frustration practice". I could never do this few years go when I posted on this forum but after spending the past few months working on the car and experienced all sorts of "pain" (changing window regulator, removing headlight, dropping a crucial headlight adjuster nut into engine bay and trying to find it, etc), my "pain tolerance" build up haha.

I agree that working on this car is definitely very difficult. I have not worked on others cars in my life so I have no frame of reference but working on this car has been one of the most frustrating things I've done. I think experience also helps a lot. Yesterday, I managed to remove the driver side wheel, wheel liner, bumper, Vacuum pump mount, driver side fender, driver side headlight, and reinstall everything in few hours. The first time took me much longer. I had to redo this because the lost nut finally arrived in the mail. Cost about $100 after taxes and duties!!!

Last edited by lilo1980; 04-29-2017 at 10:10 AM.
Old 04-30-2017, 05:25 AM
ExSF is a glorious beacon of lightExSF is a glorious beacon of lightExSF is a glorious beacon of lightExSF is a glorious beacon of lightExSF is a glorious beacon of light
Hi Lilo.

Yes, I removed the covers last time I tried and left them off.
Just couldn't get the job done.
Ah well! A few more for my Indie.

Les.

Old 06-08-2017, 10:15 AM
Today was a 'can do' day.
So, being a bit miffed at giving up on this job, I had another go today.
Despite my Indie saying that the bulbs could be pulled out by the wires, they were stuck fast. Even a squirt of WD40 down an extended tube didn't help.
In the end I got a very small short screwdriver which has a fine blade, like a watch makers tool. I managed to get in there and lever the bulbs out. It was really fiddly though.
I now have LED's fitted and they are white instead of dull yellow.

I can't believe what a right PITA this job was. I spent around 3 hours and have a few cuts on my hands to prove it.

Never again!!!

Bentley, hang your heads in shame.

Old 06-26-2017, 11:05 AM
Modded Spur is an unknown quantity at this point
Hello everyone, thanks for welcoming me to this blog. As many of you have encountered, changing these bulbs is not an easy task, but thanks to your experiences I managed to change both sides to LED type bulbs and it looks great. Though the job is 90% done, I have run into a bit of a problem. I managed to do all of it removing only the necessary parts without bumper or fender removal, but unfortunately right at the end of the process I made a big mistake. The driver's side was relatively uneventful, but when I finally installed the new bulb in the passenger side and was trying to put the tricky little cap back on, it slid somewhere into that side of the fender/bumper/engine bay. I've spent hours trying to find it feeling around with my hands, but as you know there is no visibility with very little space to feel around with your hands. If anyone has any ideas, please share, otherwise I need to remove the bumper and possibly even the fender to find this stupid little cap that everyone has such a hard time with. Also, if anyone has any pics/detailed instructions of how to remove the bumper/fender that would be great since I've never removed the bumper on one of these cars, and I don't want to mess it up any further. Thanks in advance!

Old 06-28-2017, 11:46 AM
lilo1980 has a spectacular aura aboutlilo1980 has a spectacular aura aboutlilo1980 has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by Modded Spur View Post
Hello everyone, thanks for welcoming me to this blog. As many of you have encountered, changing these bulbs is not an easy task, but thanks to your experiences I managed to change both sides to LED type bulbs and it looks great. Though the job is 90% done, I have run into a bit of a problem. I managed to do all of it removing only the necessary parts without bumper or fender removal, but unfortunately right at the end of the process I made a big mistake. The driver's side was relatively uneventful, but when I finally installed the new bulb in the passenger side and was trying to put the tricky little cap back on, it slid somewhere into that side of the fender/bumper/engine bay. I've spent hours trying to find it feeling around with my hands, but as you know there is no visibility with very little space to feel around with your hands. If anyone has any ideas, please share, otherwise I need to remove the bumper and possibly even the fender to find this stupid little cap that everyone has such a hard time with. Also, if anyone has any pics/detailed instructions of how to remove the bumper/fender that would be great since I've never removed the bumper on one of these cars, and I don't want to mess it up any further. Thanks in advance!
Can you see where you dropped the cap to? If you don't know where it went, consider it a lost cause. I lost an important screw in the engine bay and it just vanished.

Removing the front bumper and fender (especially fender), is a lot of work.passenger fender requires draining windshield fluid and remove the tank. Driver fender requires removing the vacuum assembly. You need to remove front wheels and remove wheel liners as well.

You might end up breaking more things if not careful.

Old 06-28-2017, 01:25 PM
Modded Spur is an unknown quantity at this point
Thanks!

Hello and thank you for your reply. Unfortunately I could not see where it went. It just vanished into thin air somewhere in the front right side of the engine bay. I have OCD, so just forgetting about it was virtually impossible, so I had to do exactly what I was trying to avoid. I had to remove the front bumper and even then it took a very intense search through all of the wiring, hoses, and misc. parts that are crammed into the engine bay. Thank God I finally found it tangled into some cabling and was able to get it free and it dropped onto the floor, so it was time once again to try put it back onto the light. Well, that was that. I finally managed to get it back on the back of the light, therefore it was time to put this thing back together which was much easier than taking it apart, but extremely time consuming. Now that I have done it, please feel free to contact me if anyone else runs into this type of issue. Thanks again!

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Bentley Front.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	34.3 KB
ID:	479083   Click image for larger version

Name:	Bentley Cap.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	31.3 KB
ID:	479084  
Attached Images  
Old 06-28-2017, 07:34 PM
Haha glad you found it!

Old 07-13-2017, 03:39 PM
fasttoney is an unknown quantity at this point
headlights

Originally Posted by jc333 View Post
I've been following this post for some time (years) and have been putting off this DIY until I saw lilo post. Armed with this information I gave it a go and managed to swap both bulbs in 2.5hrs with lots of swearing, bruised hands and back pains. Those with big hands should think twice as its near impossible to get your hands down what little space there is. I lost the cover for the drivers side down in the engine somewhere as I just couldnt get the nib to lock on.

I removed the radiator slam panel, probably not needed to assist in removing the plastic intake ducting. This gives a lot more room to work and I dare say makes its easier for the pax side. The drivers side was a major pita even after unplugging return hose and connector. Once the cover was off I couldnt believe how far in the bulb was and I spent a good 30mins turning the housing with my fingertips without any luck. I finally found it was a PUSH FIT housing but without enough space to grab and pull I used a screwdriver and "flicked" the housing out.

Tips for those who want to attempt this painful DIY.

1) Remember the bulb holder is a PUSH FIT. Forceps could be used to grip and pull out housing.

2) Dont buy large LED type bulbs as they will not fix. I bought a single Cree 5w LED but the metal housing was too big to fit in headlight.

3) The bulbs when installed may still turn in its housing so be wary if you want your single/double sided LED to face a certain direction.

I installed double sided 8 LED canbus PCB type bulb that producing a 5000K white light as photos show. Top left shows OE vs LED parking lights only and bottom with all lights on.

Happy DIYing

J
headlIGHTS. Hello, Im looking to upgrade mine to led, for the headlights. Did you change all 4 lights?(high and low) They look like they match well. do you have a number or link to find the bulbs you used? Also, when you were explaining you install. Did 5see you mention, something didn't for correctly with the new bulb? thanks again.

Old 07-14-2017, 04:38 AM
Hi fasttoney.

It's just the side lights that we changed, or, marker lights. They are also sometimes refered to as position lights.
They are the small W5W type that appear yellowish and not the low or main beam lights.
Changing the side lights for LED's makes them whiter, so they match the low beam better.

It's definitely a pig of a job to do though.

Cheers. Les.

Old 07-14-2017, 06:31 AM
fasttoney is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally Posted by ExSF View Post
Hi fasttoney.

It's just the side lights that we changed, or, marker lights. They are also sometimes refered to as position lights.
They are the small W5W type that appear yellowish and not the low or main beam lights.
Changing the side lights for LED's makes them whiter, so they match the low beam better.

It's definitely a pig of a job to do though.

Cheers. Les.
Les,

You changing the side lights/ position lights to a w5w bulb. Makes the high beam (inner headlight brighter)? What's q pig of a job? Changing the side or the inner high beams? thanks again

Old 07-14-2017, 08:31 AM
Hi.

Changing the small side light bulbs means they are brighter/whiter. It doesn't actually affect the brightness of the high beam lamps as they have a separate bulb. So, with just outer low beam and side lights, they look the same colour. Hope you get what I mean.

Les.

Search this Thread
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:
You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Anyone ever change this bulb? Seems impossible to reach, headlamp

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.