Go Back  6SpeedOnline - Porsche Forum and Luxury Car Resource > British > Bentley
Reload this Page >

Changed both batteries now brake light is on and will not allow car to drive

Notices
Bentley From the original 3 Litre to the current Continental GT and Mulsanne

Old 06-19-2019, 04:17 PM
Xa Zen is an unknown quantity at this point

I changed both batteries in 2006 gt , the car starts up perfect but all lights on the dash board are on including the brake light. The suspension wonít go up and the windows donít work, radio doesnít work and gas cap release donít work! Does something need to be reset?

Old 06-19-2019, 05:59 PM
1eapplebaum is on a distinguished road
According to Bentley the next step after new batteries are installed is to scan the ECU and reset the trouble codes. Hopefully after performing this step the car restores to proper function.

Also a gentle reminder the left side battery should be a AGM type battery. However, this would not make any difference in the current dilemma. For the record the right side battery is a standard acid flooded battery.

Old 06-19-2019, 06:48 PM
Thank you for a quick response! Ok so I am a female and I did this at home by myself. I do have someone with the scanner that could possibly come check it out. So would you say this is normal? because iíve Read once you Change the batteries all the lights will come on but for the car not being able to move and the suspension not going up ... itís worrying me.

Old 06-19-2019, 06:49 PM
Yes the driver side battery was properly replace with a huge battery from the dealer. The smaller battery on the passenger side was charged at auto zone for 2 hours and the car starts right up!

Old 06-19-2019, 06:51 PM
Also... what is the ECU?

Old 06-19-2019, 07:03 PM
The ECU is the computer. The scan should be done with Ross Tech vcds, or a Volkswagen sanctioned vagcom. For the time being the problem isn't clear until as scan is done and then cleared. Than the car started and hopefully restored and scanned again.

There is a procedure for changing the batteries hopefully when this was done nothing went wrong other than a temporary corruption of some modules.

Since these cars are so complicated and touchy my recommendation is find someone qualified to do a proper scan. There are potential risks working with the batteries. Please don't get over your head. Many times the situation like this does resolve itself without a lot of trouble. Please do not use a generic cloned scan tool.

Where are you located perhaps another member is nearby and can help you? A bunch of Bentley enthusiasts on this forum have the proper diagnostic equipment and experience.

Old 06-19-2019, 07:42 PM
I am located In Rosedale, NY. I know I changed the battery properly so I am hoping it just needs the scan and reset. And ok so I see you said itís extremely important to make sure the proper scan is used. Iíve been reading up on it because I figured I could have it scanned by like auto zone 🤦🏾*♀️. But I will not . Plus the car wonít move or lift up so I def need to have someone come to me.

Old 06-19-2019, 07:51 PM
Also in the trunk of my car I noticed a yellow #5 fuse which is not attached just sitting in the middle of the trunk. Should I replug it In any specific slot in the fuse area. Iím confused why itís even out. How do I find a fuse guide to see whatís what?

Old 06-19-2019, 07:55 PM
I am in Rosedale, NY. I will def not have the car scanned by anyone other than the dealer. But without the car being able to move and the suspension so low how would I be able to tow the car anyway?

Old 06-19-2019, 08:00 PM
Administrator
GT3 Chuck has a reputation beyond reputeGT3 Chuck has a reputation beyond reputeGT3 Chuck has a reputation beyond reputeGT3 Chuck has a reputation beyond reputeGT3 Chuck has a reputation beyond reputeGT3 Chuck has a reputation beyond reputeGT3 Chuck has a reputation beyond reputeGT3 Chuck has a reputation beyond reputeGT3 Chuck has a reputation beyond reputeGT3 Chuck has a reputation beyond reputeGT3 Chuck has a reputation beyond repute
Most flatbed tow truck drivers know how to handle very low cars...just make sure to specify a flatbed when you call

Old 06-19-2019, 08:02 PM
I have no idea where that fuse goes. The owner's manual has a section on fuses. On the left side is a fuse panel. Possibly look for one slot that is unfilled. Before plugging it in though I would look in the owner's manual and see what the designation of the open slot is. You may want to ask whoever changed the batteries if they recall this fuse.

My recommendation is find somebody who is familiar with Bentleys before attempting anything. The current problem may seem frustrating however things can go further in the wrong direction. Please take a break and think about calling an expert.

Old 06-19-2019, 08:34 PM
Thank everyone for these quick responses. In the next few days I should have the car scanned and reset. I will def chime back In and let everyone knows how this turned out! Hopefully great and I can go ahead and send the car to get wrapped/dipped!!!

Old 06-19-2019, 08:42 PM
One last question, where can the replacement fuses be purchased from? Are they standard like in an auto store or do they have to be purchased from the dealer? I am not replacing anything but Iím so curious about that stray #5 fuse found In the trunk

Old 06-20-2019, 06:08 AM
Samhain is an unknown quantity at this point
Try this for a pdf of fuse and relay locations including in the trunk and battery compartment. This is for the Phaeton but they should be the same...

https://forums.vwvortex.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=2027&d=1356067841

VW dealer should be able to get any part you need for this type of thing.

Last edited by GT3 Chuck; 06-20-2019 at 11:58 AM.
Old 06-20-2019, 01:13 PM
Yoghurtshotgun is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally Posted by Xa Zen View Post
I changed both batteries in 2006 gt , the car starts up perfect but all lights on the dash board are on including the brake light. The suspension wonít go up and the windows donít work, radio doesnít work and gas cap release donít work! Does something need to be reset?
Take it for a drive and it will reset all the lights my batteries have been out a few times and they always go out and reset the suspension.i put mine back in last weekend drive down the road 100yds and all reset I'd try that before getting ripped off at the dealership

Last edited by Yoghurtshotgun; 06-20-2019 at 01:16 PM.

Search this Thread
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:
You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Changed both batteries now brake light is on and will not allow car to drive

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.