Bentley From the original 3 Litre to the current Continental GT and Mulsanne

CGT slight acceleration judder

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-26-2020, 07:03 AM
MulsanneTurbo is an unknown quantity at this point
CGT slight acceleration judder

Hi all. I've just noticed my 2007 GT has a slight judder on hard acceleration between 2000 & 3000 revs. Only happens when building from slower speed, so I'm assuming when the car is in 2nd gear. Doesn't happen at cruising speeds in higher gears. Haven't really pressed the GT on open roads since purchase but did a 250 mile trip on motorway and fast UK A roads yesterday so got the opportunity to press on a bit .....and noticed this judder going through 2-3k rpm. Happy to report 21.4 mpg for the trip though!

I've had my 07 Mulliner spec in triple black 85k miles for 6 months and I'm delighted with it.... but still very much learning about ownership. I've had and have a few issues ( low battery causing dash lights on - sorted with a battery tender - EG temp sensor failure - sorted with an new sensor fitted but painful process to get it done - and a small vacuum leak - not yet sorted - and a few others and am working though them to get it as perfect as it can be. )

Does anyone have any experience of what this might be?

Thank you and always enjoy reading the excellent advice dispersed by the learned members of this forum.

MT

Old 01-26-2020, 07:14 AM
John Fiammetta has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Fiammetta has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Fiammetta has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Fiammetta has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Fiammetta has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Fiammetta has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Fiammetta has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Fiammetta has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Fiammetta has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Fiammetta has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Fiammetta has a reputation beyond repute
I’d start by inspecting the front suspension.
In no particular order consumable parts are
- front lower control arm ...the inner Bush .
- upper control arms ....inner Bush .....hard to see but may be able get some play there are two to check .
- drop links for the sway bar ....bushes again .

Eurocar parts do them for a 1/3 rd of Bentley prices .

A bit deeper after assuming all is ok with the front suspension.......the engine and gearbox mounts need elimination.

Old 01-26-2020, 07:20 AM
John Fiammetta has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Fiammetta has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Fiammetta has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Fiammetta has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Fiammetta has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Fiammetta has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Fiammetta has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Fiammetta has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Fiammetta has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Fiammetta has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Fiammetta has a reputation beyond repute
I’d start by inspecting the front suspension.
In no particular order consumable parts are
- front control arms ...the inner Bush .
- upper control arms ....inner Bush .....hard to see but may be able get some play .
- drop links for the sway bar ....bushes again .

Eurocar parts do them for a 1/3 rd of Bentley prices .

A bit deeper after assuming all is ok with the front suspension.......the engine and gearbox mounts need elimination.

Old 01-26-2020, 07:38 AM
Thank you John

Old 01-26-2020, 07:40 AM
Come to think of it there has been the odd unsettling poor ride on rough roads, so suspension will be first port of call as you suggest.....

Old 01-26-2020, 07:56 AM
Administrator
Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !
Hello MT,
Just so we are all on the same page, please explain what you mean by "judder".
I took your comment as to be engine or transmission judder as you state "2000-3000" rpm, and second gear, so that does not equate to suspension for me, especially since you have a unsorted vacuum leak.

Johnny

Old 01-26-2020, 08:30 AM
Hi Johnny - thanks

I guess I'd describe it as a bit of vibration as the revs build under strong - but not flat-out as I rarely put the peddle fully down - acceleration from 2 to 3000 revs. But only from slow speed acceleration....

All other parts of the rev range are smooth and needle on idle is rock solid.

It almost feels like a traction control issue would do on a rear wheel drive in slippery conditions

Old 01-28-2020, 11:05 AM
quarryman is an unknown quantity at this point
Hi, i had the same issue on my conti, 2008. front control arms bush and upper control arms bush, both knackered.vibration and skittish when my foot slipped to the floor. from approx 30mph

Old 01-28-2020, 12:49 PM
Thank you - will get my Indy on the case, taking into account Johnny's comments too.

Can't say how valuable I find this forum !