Bentley From the original 3 Litre to the current Continental GT and Mulsanne

Delaminating side mirror

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-27-2021, 12:16 PM
Gone, But Not Forgotten.
British has much to be proud ofBritish has much to be proud ofBritish has much to be proud ofBritish has much to be proud ofBritish has much to be proud ofBritish has much to be proud ofBritish has much to be proud ofBritish has much to be proud ofBritish has much to be proud of
Delaminating side mirror

Just noticed my right external side-mirror has what looks like lightning bolts gathered around the edges, it is becoming brown and discolored. I found a replacement mirror on Ebay for $70 (just the glass) and I was wondering if anyone had had this same problem and resolved it before? What is involved in changing out the mirror glass by itself?

I also noticed that the replacement is heated, I was wondering if that was my mirror problem, perhaps the heating element was on all of the time, thereby discoloring? The mirror looks ok, but if you glance between the left and right one, the right one looks brownish with the discoloration around the edges with that weird lightning pattern, it is clearly delaminating or failing.

Old 07-27-2021, 03:01 PM
CatmanV2 has much to be proud ofCatmanV2 has much to be proud ofCatmanV2 has much to be proud ofCatmanV2 has much to be proud ofCatmanV2 has much to be proud ofCatmanV2 has much to be proud ofCatmanV2 has much to be proud ofCatmanV2 has much to be proud of
Heating is on (supposedly) when the adjustment **** is in the 'straight ahead' position. I guess it's possible that having it on all the time, or faulty, might have accelerated the decomposition.

C

Old 08-04-2021, 04:00 PM
Gone, But Not Forgotten.
British has much to be proud ofBritish has much to be proud ofBritish has much to be proud ofBritish has much to be proud ofBritish has much to be proud ofBritish has much to be proud ofBritish has much to be proud ofBritish has much to be proud ofBritish has much to be proud of
That was the problem! Dammit. I didn't know it was heated, Ieft the heat on all summer, now the mirror is discolored with very interesting lightning-bolt delaminations along the side of it.

Does anyone know how to replace the glass part of the mirror assembly? It's only $70 on Ebay, but I have no idea what to do with it once it shows up.

Old 08-04-2021, 06:30 PM
Administrator
Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by British
That was the problem! Dammit. I didn't know it was heated, Ieft the heat on all summer, now the mirror is discolored with very interesting lightning-bolt delaminations along the side of it.

Does anyone know how to replace the glass part of the mirror assembly? It's only $70 on Ebay, but I have no idea what to do with it once it shows up.
@British ,
Please be careful what you buy, as the "$70" mirrors on eBay are not the correct OEM equivalent replacements, that $70 mirror does not have the writing as our passenger sides do, it also lacks the chrome trim surrounding the glass itself, and most importantly, it is not a dimming mirror as ours are.

Here are pictures of the actual mirror, it sells for $394 new from Scuderia, or new on eBay from Bentley USA for $525.00

I will check tomorrow to see if I still have a passenger side mirror available.

Johnny

Last edited by Johnny Hotspur GT; 08-04-2021 at 07:27 PM. Reason: Add pictures
Old 08-05-2021, 03:42 PM
AlistairD is an unknown quantity at this point
@Johnny Hotspur GT When I has issues with the heated, dimming mirrors on my S500 I'm sure there were 2 connections. I can only see one on the back of your mirror?

A

Old 08-05-2021, 04:01 PM
Administrator
Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by AlistairD
@Johnny Hotspur GT When I has issues with the heated, dimming mirrors on my S500 I'm sure there were 2 connections. I can only see one on the back of your mirror?

A
@AlistairD ,
There are 2 sets of connections on the back of my mirror as pictured, look closely 😀

Johnny

Old 08-06-2021, 01:16 AM
AlistairD is an unknown quantity at this point
@Johnny Hotspur GT - indeed there are - I should not have looked from my tablet....... Thanks

A

Old 08-06-2021, 09:20 AM
Gone, But Not Forgotten.
Thanks a million, as always.

Even with the exploded view, I still don't see how to begin the repair by getting the glass out, does one just tug, or is there a release, it shows the glass a "1" but doesn't show what to do with it.

Old 08-06-2021, 09:29 AM
BrakeBuster has a reputation beyond reputeBrakeBuster has a reputation beyond reputeBrakeBuster has a reputation beyond reputeBrakeBuster has a reputation beyond reputeBrakeBuster has a reputation beyond reputeBrakeBuster has a reputation beyond reputeBrakeBuster has a reputation beyond reputeBrakeBuster has a reputation beyond reputeBrakeBuster has a reputation beyond reputeBrakeBuster has a reputation beyond reputeBrakeBuster has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by British
Thanks a million, as always.

Even with the exploded view, I still don't see how to begin the repair by getting the glass out, does one just tug, or is there a release, it shows the glass a "1" but doesn't show what to do with it.
protect the bodywork best you can should something slip , get a flat blade trim puller and simply ' tug ' or pry the glass and chrome surround out, you may find the heater element terminals are tight to the mirror and may need some persuasion to remove ,

installation is simply offer up and firmly and evenly press home onto the round frame behind

BB

Old 08-06-2021, 12:50 PM
Administrator
You don't need any tools, just your fingers and a tug, you may want to position the mirror almost fully left or right to get a good grip on the chrome surround and pull slowly and steadily.

Then unplug the wires.

Johnny

Old 08-06-2021, 01:11 PM
CatmanV2 has much to be proud ofCatmanV2 has much to be proud ofCatmanV2 has much to be proud ofCatmanV2 has much to be proud ofCatmanV2 has much to be proud ofCatmanV2 has much to be proud ofCatmanV2 has much to be proud ofCatmanV2 has much to be proud of
If it's like any of the other mirrors I've swapped it's a little nerve wracking pulling and pulling until you are sure something is going to break. Then there's a terrible noise and you *really* think something has broken. And it probably hasn't!

C

Old 08-06-2021, 01:16 PM
Administrator
Just take it slow and gentle, see @TeamJones1962 post in the link below, starting at post number 26..

https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...-pictures.html

Johnny

Old 08-06-2021, 04:03 PM
Administrator
Hello @British ,
Just wanted to let you know that I drove down to check my parts, and I do have the passenger side mirror available.

PM me if you still are looking for one.

Johnny

Old 08-07-2021, 01:56 AM
BrakeBuster has a reputation beyond reputeBrakeBuster has a reputation beyond reputeBrakeBuster has a reputation beyond reputeBrakeBuster has a reputation beyond reputeBrakeBuster has a reputation beyond reputeBrakeBuster has a reputation beyond reputeBrakeBuster has a reputation beyond reputeBrakeBuster has a reputation beyond reputeBrakeBuster has a reputation beyond reputeBrakeBuster has a reputation beyond reputeBrakeBuster has a reputation beyond repute
just for information , either mirror will fit either side, they are not handed, and symmetrical

though looking through the part numbers, different markets may have different requirements when it comes to viewable area in the mirror reflection , but they will still physically fit either door mirror pod

BB

Last edited by BrakeBuster; 08-07-2021 at 01:59 AM.
Old 08-07-2021, 09:01 AM
Administrator
Hello @BrakeBuster ,
The second part of your comment would be correct for the USA vehicles, we have the convex mirror on the passenger side, with the wording "Objects in mirror are closer than they appear", so we can not swap side to side.

Johnny