BMW //M Discussion on the BMW M1, BMW M3, BMW M4, BMW M5, and the BMW M6

E46 M3 a dated car?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-11-2008, 12:34 PM
Banned
Benjamin Choi will become famous soon enough
Originally Posted by epbrown01
It's not fair, though I think there are exceptions to this rule, but it's also not necessary. The E46 M3's appearance is dated (meaning that it's possible to tell what time period it was designed in), but it's performance is not.

In real-world usage, the E92 M3 and E46 M3 are so close in performance that I don't see the E92 as being worth the expense of upgrading. Top speed is the (electronically limited) same, real world acceleration by a non-professional driver is so close as to be negligible. We all talk lateral Gs and track times, and about 99% of the production run will sit in commuter traffic its entire life. Indeed, the chief improvements the E92 has over the E46 are the DCT and EDC, which make it a more comfortable commuter as much as they improve its performance.
Agreed. Too much QB armchair w/ calculator racing going on. The E46 M3 is still a fantastically fast car with awesome, classic looks to boot. The E92 M3 is a fantastic successor to the E46 and serves the M brand well.

You can't fault a guy for getting either one of these cars and if you're still tempted to d!ck measure, there's always somebody with something badder and faster. Just enjoy what you got and be happy you're not going hungry.

Old 07-11-2008, 01:46 PM
JT3
JT3 will become famous soon enoughJT3 will become famous soon enough
We should have a poll on this thread.

I say dated, but who cares really? It's a fantastic car, especially at "pre-owned" prices.

Old 07-11-2008, 03:12 PM
ALPINE_997 is a splendid one to beholdALPINE_997 is a splendid one to beholdALPINE_997 is a splendid one to beholdALPINE_997 is a splendid one to beholdALPINE_997 is a splendid one to beholdALPINE_997 is a splendid one to beholdALPINE_997 is a splendid one to behold
+1 for E46 //M3.....

Now when do I pick up mine....

Old 07-11-2008, 03:45 PM
Mighty M is infamous around these partsMighty M is infamous around these partsMighty M is infamous around these partsMighty M is infamous around these partsMighty M is infamous around these partsMighty M is infamous around these partsMighty M is infamous around these partsMighty M is infamous around these parts
Time for some reality check from someone who currently owns both (each similarly equipped), 6spd manual, no nav.

e92 >>>>>>>>>> e46.
interior materials quality/design
engine
clutch
looks
performance
luxury

e46 > e92
better cupholders
rear side windows pop out/open
less clearance front wheel wells, "sits" better
photographs better

I still very much like the e46. It is an amazing car, but to say it is better than the e92 is uninformed and likely coming from someone that doesnt own one. I know I had the same argument back in the day, but I did a complete 180 on my opinion the day I test drove one. It'll be on the market in a couple of weeks, just taking care of some paintwork. 04, 27.5k miles, I think I'll be looking for around $30K. LSB over grey.

Old 07-11-2008, 07:16 PM
Jonathan Ess is on a distinguished road
I forgot to input my opinion lol

I absolutley agree that the perfrmance aspects of the car are somewhat dated. I remember back when it first came out the engineering on that car was genius.

However we look at cars now that are starting to break the 4 second 0-60 mark and the car is somewhat dated.

The design any day ending in "y" will make my head follow it on the road as long as possible.

The car was an icon and gradually is turning into a legend in the European car category.

Just my $0.02

Last edited by Jonathan Ess; 07-11-2008 at 07:20 PM.
Old 07-11-2008, 10:33 PM
czechchamp has a spectacular aura aboutczechchamp has a spectacular aura aboutczechchamp has a spectacular aura about
BMW official 0-60 time for e46 m3 is 4.8sec

I can care less for SMG issues. If I'm buying a performance vehicle, manual is the only way to go.

E46 M3 is dated compared to new performance cars, the interior more so than the exterior. However, overall the e46 m3 is a killer car!

Old 07-12-2008, 12:15 AM
Jonathan Ess is on a distinguished road
Yeah the only thing i absolutely hate about the E46 M3 is the SMG. I would ONLY get it in manual...

However I sometimes don't like full manual at all times (life isn't a race-course if you're going to work in traffic) I just wish SMG was alot better in the E46 M3

Old 07-12-2008, 12:52 AM
Mr.PS is a splendid one to beholdMr.PS is a splendid one to beholdMr.PS is a splendid one to beholdMr.PS is a splendid one to beholdMr.PS is a splendid one to beholdMr.PS is a splendid one to beholdMr.PS is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by flash68
Uhh.. tell that to the people at HorsepowerFreaks who are bolting on turbo kits to get 750 hp with no internal upgrades. Granted, these haven't been tested for years and years of road time, but no blow ups yet that I know of. That sounds like a pretty stout motor from the factory to me!
Are those the same guys posting about their engines also blowing up?

Please, the E46 motor is maxed out stock. 750hp without any internal upgrades is mechanical suicide. Besides, the car is less fun in my opinion with 750hp. It's not a straight line rocket like a TT or Viper. It's a go-cart feeling coupe with balance.

Originally Posted by Benjamin Choi
sorry man the interior on the new M3 is not any better than the E46 M3 aside from the electronic navi unit. in fact, the E46 M3 gauges and buttons feel more quality and better put together or in a sense "fresher" than the E92.
Do you drive a E46 by any chance?

Quality improved 5 fold in the BMW's following the last generation, 3, 5, 7, X, and M models.

Old 07-12-2008, 01:18 AM
mannytt will become famous soon enoughmannytt will become famous soon enough
dated, no way i love that shape. i drive my brother's anytime i get a chance

Old 07-12-2008, 10:10 AM
PorscheC4 has a brilliant futurePorscheC4 has a brilliant futurePorscheC4 has a brilliant futurePorscheC4 has a brilliant futurePorscheC4 has a brilliant futurePorscheC4 has a brilliant futurePorscheC4 has a brilliant futurePorscheC4 has a brilliant futurePorscheC4 has a brilliant futurePorscheC4 has a brilliant futurePorscheC4 has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by Mr.PS
Are those the same guys posting about their engines also blowing up?

Please, the E46 motor is maxed out stock. 750hp without any internal upgrades is mechanical suicide. Besides, the car is less fun in my opinion with 750hp. It's not a straight line rocket like a TT or Viper. It's a go-cart feeling coupe with balance.

Do you drive a E46 by any chance?

Quality improved 5 fold in the BMW's following the last generation, 3, 5, 7, X, and M models.
I think a lot of people have to seperate the distinction from interior design and interior quality. The e9X doesnt have as nice of a design as the e46 (which is very driver oriented and flows very well), but the e9X DOES have a little better quality. I wouldnt say its tons better, but a def improvement. so e46 has the better design and e9x has better quality.

Old 07-12-2008, 10:21 AM
ALPINE_997 is a splendid one to beholdALPINE_997 is a splendid one to beholdALPINE_997 is a splendid one to beholdALPINE_997 is a splendid one to beholdALPINE_997 is a splendid one to beholdALPINE_997 is a splendid one to beholdALPINE_997 is a splendid one to behold
Eh - its like religion. Too many opinions and everything thinks they are right.

If you like you like it. If not move on....

For those who say they wish the SMG was better - have you driven a better SMG? IF you are referring to DCT, DSG, PDK, etc. they are different.

There are many proven F/I kits that have proven the motor stock is not MAXED out. Unless you have an engineering degree and can tell me that know more than what you read about it please refrain from making comments about something you have no clue about. I do not make comments like that because I do not know for sure. I do know VF, AA, HPF have proven the engines do not mind some F/I.

I personally think the 335I Coupe is a better design asthetically than the E92 //M.

The E46 still has a better overall design IMHO. Quality always gets better year after year so to make that comparison is silly. But better quality doesn't lead to better design. The E46 to E92 is a great example. There are aspects from both that each could use to make a great overall compromise. I think the Audi S5 is what the E92 //M should have looked like. It has a lot of the lines of the E92 Coupes but with a little more aggressive look and feel. The AUDI interiors is what other car manufacturers should learn from. They make some of the best interior in the market.

Of course all of this is my opinion and we know that opinions are like a-holes...they all stink... some more than others

Old 07-12-2008, 10:38 AM
PorscheC4 has a brilliant futurePorscheC4 has a brilliant futurePorscheC4 has a brilliant futurePorscheC4 has a brilliant futurePorscheC4 has a brilliant futurePorscheC4 has a brilliant futurePorscheC4 has a brilliant futurePorscheC4 has a brilliant futurePorscheC4 has a brilliant futurePorscheC4 has a brilliant futurePorscheC4 has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by ALPINE_997
Eh - its like religion. Too many opinions and everything thinks they are right.

If you like you like it. If not move on....

For those who say they wish the SMG was better - have you driven a better SMG? IF you are referring to DCT, DSG, PDK, etc. they are different.

There are many proven F/I kits that have proven the motor stock is not MAXED out. Unless you have an engineering degree and can tell me that know more than what you read about it please refrain from making comments about something you have no clue about. I do not make comments like that because I do not know for sure. I do know VF, AA, HPF have proven the engines do not mind some F/I.

I personally think the 335I Coupe is a better design asthetically than the E92 //M.

The E46 still has a better overall design IMHO. Quality always gets better year after year so to make that comparison is silly. But better quality doesn't lead to better design. The E46 to E92 is a great example. There are aspects from both that each could use to make a great overall compromise. I think the Audi S5 is what the E92 //M should have looked like. It has a lot of the lines of the E92 Coupes but with a little more aggressive look and feel. The AUDI interiors is what other car manufacturers should learn from. They make some of the best interior in the market.

Of course all of this is my opinion and we know that opinions are like a-holes...they all stink... some more than others
Alpine-I agree with pretty much everything you said there.

The e46 m3 is maxxed out in NA form, but adding FI changes the car completely and thus maxxed out becomes a moot point because you can FI ANY NA motor and say its not maxed out.
I agree the 335 is a cleaner design than the e9X m3, and with the m tech kit, the 335 is great too.
the s5 is a gorgeous car and the interior is much better design and quality than ANY bmw or mercedes. audi in general is up there with Porsche, Ferrari, etc.

Old 07-12-2008, 11:53 AM
asianjedi is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by Zach
I realize you can go spend huge sums of money and make anything ungodly fast, but from the factory the I6 333 hp vs. the new V8, the V8 is excellent. It's not fair to compare stock to modified
An e46 M3 in good shape with 30K miles is about 27ish + 20K for an installed HPF stg 1 = 47K. End result 748 crank hp.

The e92 M3 is going for about 70K around here. Result 415 crank hp.

So what are your thoughts on spending gobs of money for less performance?
Not to mention the e92 is heavier than the e46.

Not trying to be a d1ck here just a friendly observation.

Back on topic...

Do I think it looks dated? By itself...no. Next to an E92..yes. However aesthetically the e46 is more pleasing. It looks more proportionally balanced . The rear looks just as powerful as the front. This however is not the case with the E92. However I have seen some examples with a CSL style trunklid and it looked much better.

I think the "classicness" of the M3 skips a generation.

E30 = classic
E36 = good car but not a classic
E46 = classic
E92 = good car but not a classic

Sorry for the long post. As usual these are just my opinions.

What is not an opinion is that a stock m3 coupe does not go 0-60 in 4.4.

And I think somewhere he said the m3 vert does it in 5.8.

LOL. 350 lbs difference equals 1.4 second difference?!

Zowie! I think a blatant lack of knowledge coupled with delusions of grandeur regarding one's own car should be a bannable offense.

Old 07-12-2008, 12:10 PM
riverflyer has much to be proud ofriverflyer has much to be proud ofriverflyer has much to be proud ofriverflyer has much to be proud ofriverflyer has much to be proud ofriverflyer has much to be proud ofriverflyer has much to be proud ofriverflyer has much to be proud of
Of all the new bmw's, the m3 is the best looking imo. I really dislike the 5 series and am hot/cold on the 6.
E46, like the E39 is dated but classic and will always hold an appeal for its quality and lasting desingn. Think about an 88 M6, it still holds a very fine road presence. My 74 3.0csi still turns heads. They are classics, and so will the e46 be.
My former Dinan S2, ala Hbomb, beauty.

Old 07-12-2008, 01:14 PM
Slamn E60 is on a distinguished road
Not @ all awesome car.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: E46 M3 a dated car?