BMW //M Discussion on the BMW M1, BMW M3, BMW M4, BMW M5, and the BMW M6

"Fantastic 4" ~ e92 M3 vs RS4 vs C63 vs IS-F

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-10-2008, 02:56 PM
ekyub will become famous soon enoughekyub will become famous soon enough
I've been to the Houston 60-130 events and houstonT knows what he's talking about.

but...I just read the R&T Summary and the trap speed for the M3 Coupe IS-F, C63 (respectively 114.8, 113.8, 114.4). Very little separates the cars so I imagine it's close.

Old 10-10-2008, 09:51 PM
jaeS4 will become famous soon enough
What's up Ranger.

Originally Posted by GT3Ranger
h20tt I viewed the video. Nice time but in my local tracks when you jump the light/start you get no time.

Now houstonT you've made your claims and that's fine but bring videos to the table. Post videos running an M3. Lets say run 50 mph to 160 mph.
I know guys in Dallas and surrounding area from the M5 Board who have new M3's. I will contact them to seek out and produce some head to head runs.

I still can not see an IS-F beating an M3. I continue to contend, I want to see valid videos, 1/4 mile runs and rolling starts as I said 50 to 160 mph.
Lets test the metal on this one!!

BTW I also laugh at how in recent pass comments the IS-F is included in the same group or class of car as the E60 M5.
My E60 M5 will sweep the floor with the IS-F.

Cheers gentlemen.

Ranger
Just a reminder Ranger, your M5 is heavily modded with 581rwhp. As it is, stock M5 will beat the IS-F. In regards to a video of the IS-F vs M3, i'll show you a couple. But this will not prove anything and you'd probably say it's a drivers race, which it is. Because both cars are sooo close in the straights, but with the IS-F's torque, i believe it would have the advantage. Anyway, here are a couple of vids.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MP8M-GmeaII
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_oyQSy1lLxE

Old 10-11-2008, 02:12 PM
NickyBlack has a spectacular aura aboutNickyBlack has a spectacular aura aboutNickyBlack has a spectacular aura about
I'll volunteer my E60. Only has exhaust and speed limiter removed, as per engine mods. Suspension, Rims shouldn't make a difference.

Old 10-12-2008, 08:52 PM
OldGuy has a reputation beyond reputeOldGuy has a reputation beyond reputeOldGuy has a reputation beyond reputeOldGuy has a reputation beyond reputeOldGuy has a reputation beyond reputeOldGuy has a reputation beyond reputeOldGuy has a reputation beyond reputeOldGuy has a reputation beyond reputeOldGuy has a reputation beyond reputeOldGuy has a reputation beyond reputeOldGuy has a reputation beyond repute
Back to the original topic. Ranger knows me. I had to sell my GT3 because of my back Couldnt get in or out of it without lots of pain. I am a BIG BMW fan so I thought about a M3 Already have a 08 335 and a 06 X5 4.8is. So I drove the Lexus,the M3, The RS4 and the AMG. The ISF was the biggest dissapointment for the price I didnt think the over all package was on par with the others.
It wasnt as quick as the M3 on the Street IMO based on 2 test drives.
The RS4 was going out of production so that left me to the M3 and the C63.
The M3 was Really close to the 335i in the garage so I Went with an open mind to the AMG. The truth is the AMG has the motor out of the UPPER models in the least expensive model while the M3 has as much as you can get out of it.
And as far as being a Porsche driver for so many years the AMG was the closest package to what I was used to. It is easily modded to over 530 hp and its the same motor as in the 130K black series CLK
If I didnt have the 335i I would have been really close to buying a M3. i would have upgraded the old brake package however.

Old 10-13-2008, 11:54 AM
Fkim011 has a brilliant futureFkim011 has a brilliant futureFkim011 has a brilliant futureFkim011 has a brilliant futureFkim011 has a brilliant futureFkim011 has a brilliant futureFkim011 has a brilliant futureFkim011 has a brilliant futureFkim011 has a brilliant futureFkim011 has a brilliant futureFkim011 has a brilliant future
Have u driven a IS-f? These things do not ride like a Lexus at all. This thing rides pretty harsh and I know if I was a client I would prefer riding in the M3 or Rs4 anyday. Actually scratch that, for hauling around clients, the Rs4 is the only ride quality I would be able to tolerate. The other cars might be more fun for the driver, but in terms of actually carrying people, I wuold take the RS4.

Old 10-13-2008, 12:54 PM
niqui is on a distinguished road
I disagree regarding the ride of the IS-F. I found ti to be really quite soft when it was meant to be and harsh when driving aggresively. When in comfort mode, it fel like a regular lexus to me. I even found the M3 coupe with EDC and everything in comfort mode more than tolerable but the ISF was by far, when in the softest modes, the most comfortable and softest.

Old 02-11-2009, 02:01 PM
s4play has a spectacular aura abouts4play has a spectacular aura abouts4play has a spectacular aura about
Digging this thread out of the archinves.....

I've since sold the e46 m3 and now heavily shopping the IS-F. Test drove it 3 times on different occasions with myself only, with my g/f and with myself in the back seat to check leg room, etc.

The Lexus IS-F rides not harsh say compared to a GT3 but VERY firm and solid. It's got one of the smoothest trannies and the exhaust note is pretty close to the RS4 once past 4000 rpm. The C63 is a neat car in between but gas mileage is pretty dismal from my friends who own one. I did not consider an m3 because the 4-door just doesn't have the look of the 2-door.

My 2 cents is that all 4 of these top cars really are great cars for different people/requirements. I really can't fault any car so it's personal preference. On the track I think any car which has a better driver will win. Looks is always subjective

rk

Old 02-12-2009, 09:50 AM
E90///M is on a distinguished road
I think all 4 cars are pretty evenly matched in the power department although the C63AMG is the fastest out of the 4.

When it came time to buy a new car last year I checked them all out. I've always loved the RS4 but since it was discontinued I decided I did not want to buy a used one. I checked out the other 3 and all are great cars. However, while the C63AMG was a beast in the power department, it wasn't quite the same in the handling department and didn't have MT. The IS-F, although a great car in many respects, just did not compare to the 3 German cars in my opinion. Lastly there was the M3. Well I ended up with the M3. Does it have a better interior than the other cars? NO. Does it look better than the other cars? IMO it's a toss up but probably not better looking. What it came down to was simply the feel and exhilaration the car gives you. Revving all the way up to 8400rpm put a huge smile to my face and the car handles great.

That's simply my story. I don't dislike any of the cars mentioned but think it's kind of foolish to argue about which car is faster, especially in a straight line. Taking a car to the track is where a car's all around ability comes into play. That's where the M3 shines but I can not say about the other cars since I have not taken them to the track. And when it comes down to it most people mod their cars making the stock arguments moot points.

Old 02-12-2009, 11:25 AM
dragonman4 has a reputation beyond reputedragonman4 has a reputation beyond reputedragonman4 has a reputation beyond reputedragonman4 has a reputation beyond reputedragonman4 has a reputation beyond reputedragonman4 has a reputation beyond reputedragonman4 has a reputation beyond reputedragonman4 has a reputation beyond reputedragonman4 has a reputation beyond reputedragonman4 has a reputation beyond reputedragonman4 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by s4play
I know each of these cars are different strokes for different folks and magazines have all compared them in terms of performance, etc but I was asking more in term of real life scenarios.

I posed this question on the Lexus board and everyone chimed in so I wanted to hear from the BMW crowd. I love my e46 m3 but life has now deemed a 4-seat automatic car. Looking at pre-owned IS-F right now but still not sure if that car is too small with only 4 seats vs. 5 on most sedans.

Anyways here's my 2 scenarios:

A) Driver needs a sedan, prefers auto, takes clients around town, fit 4-5 occasionally, park in questionable areas, good weather year round.

B) Driver needs a sedan, manual, takes clients around town, fit 4-5 occasionally, park in questionable areas, good weather year round.

For those of you who picked a e92 M3 over the C63 and IS-F / RS4, why?

Or if you have a IS-F perhaps you can chime in on why you got that car over the other 3?
Don't know about fitting 5 in an E92 M3. The back middle part of the seat is a plastic tray. Wouldn't be very comfortable. I agree w/ the person that said E60 M5. Just as much go, but with more room.

Old 02-13-2009, 04:20 PM
lilandagi is on a distinguished road
I've been reading the topic and I'm not sure if this clip was posted yet. For the record I think these are both great cars. I've had a BMW in the pass and I loved it, it's a true drivers car. I never had a lexus, but I definitely wouldn't mind. I've had a bunch of toyota's and you can't touch the reliability. Either way, but I thought this clip was entertaining. If it was already posted, sorry.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SVYTSKqiLhY

Old 02-13-2009, 09:33 PM
kaz555 is a jewel in the roughkaz555 is a jewel in the roughkaz555 is a jewel in the rough
Audi R8