Cayenne 958 Porsche's 958 SUV. Cayenne, Cayenne S, and Cayenne Turbo message forum.

'12 Cayenne S Engine Stall

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-13-2012, 07:44 PM
finiteyoda is on a distinguished road
I feel for ya, let us know what response you get back from dealer or porsche.

I guess you could also try what this guy did: http://www.chinasmack.com/2012/stori...h-protest.html (and yes, he payed $428k for his cayenne)

Old 01-13-2012, 09:04 PM
frank69m has a spectacular aura aboutfrank69m has a spectacular aura about
Interesting article.

They keep talking about 4S, so I thought they were talking about a 911, but the picture there clearly shows a Cayenne Turbo. They didn't get into too many details on the actual problem even though that guy ranted what the issue was to the media. Wonder what it was...

Old 01-13-2012, 09:16 PM
steph280 has a spectacular aura aboutsteph280 has a spectacular aura about
I think the 4S refers to the name of that Porsche dealer.

Something similar happened to Mercedes a while back. It got on national news and seriously tarnished their brand image. Thats one of the reason why Audi's outsell Mercedes in china.

If they really have an issue with stalling, they need to take a lesson from Toyota, not just on assembly line improvements.

Old 01-14-2012, 04:59 AM
synk will become famous soon enough
Old 01-14-2012, 02:09 PM
finiteyoda is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by frank69m
They keep talking about 4S, so I thought they were talking about a 911, but the picture there clearly shows a Cayenne Turbo.
Interestingly, when I was in China I saw a couple Cayenne's that had the turbo front and quad exhaust, but the silver S brakes. The work looked totally factory, which makes me wonder if getting the turbo front is a factory option in China (the turbo seemed extremely unpopular in China compared to the S and v6).

Originally Posted by steph280
Thats one of the reason why Audi's outsell Mercedes in china.
Audi also has an A4 factory in China, which means they get an additional tax break compared to benz's manufactured overseas. When I was in China last month though, I still saw way more MB's than Audi's though. Ton's of S350's, only saw one amg the whole trip (c63). Another interesting stat, I'd say roughly 1/3 to 1/2 of the cars on the road were high-end European brands. Unlike in America, many people still can't afford a car, so a lot of pedestrians and motorcycles/scooters.

Old 02-01-2012, 07:20 AM
TheDoug is on a distinguished road
2012 Cayenne S Stalls

Well add me to the list.. My wife's 2012 Cayenne S with <5000 miles has stalled on slow right turns twice now. We always have auto--start/stop turned "off" btw. The first time we parked it and had it flat bedded to the dealership, who could not reproduce or find any record in logs. Two weeks later, same thing happens and we're driving it into the dealer today.

We will let everyone know the dealers response. Interestingly the two incidents happened at the exact same spot. It is a slow right turn into a parking lot with a slight incline. We will advise Porsche to try and find the same setting, drive out to the same place if necessary. If they again do not find anything I'll try to reproduce myself and video, but PNA should understand that if I can reproduce and video, it will be posted on YouTube with full instructions on how to make the car stall (at least mine) so others can test it. Not a great thing for sales....

Old 02-01-2012, 09:19 PM
graider has a spectacular aura aboutgraider has a spectacular aura aboutgraider has a spectacular aura about
I feel for you guys who have this stupid issue.

this is a serious safety issue. i would just sell the damn car or if you leased it, put it up on lease buster. i rather not dealing with this ****. might as well sell/get out of lease and buy another brand IMO. why waste your life for a damn car.

i wouldn't even bother trying to get porsche to fix it because they probably won't care or will take a year or two to fix it.

Old 02-02-2012, 08:44 PM
TGED is on a distinguished road
The Cayennes are selling like hot cake and Porsche can't make them fast enough. In some countries such as China the wait time is two years, so Porsche won't care if they lose a few customers. I think when someone is seriously hurt or killed from the stalling issue, then perhaps Porsche will take things seriously.

Old 02-12-2012, 01:13 PM
TheDoug is on a distinguished road
Possibly Fixed

We brought our 2012 Cayenne S into the dealership for the second time last week. We described the stalling issue, seems to happen on right hand turns, did it in the exact same place a month apart, slight incline in the turn, reducing speed from 55 mph to turn into a parking lot.... They tell us the solution was to reprogram the ECU (or whatever the Porsche acronym is) based on a 'tech note'...

We've had the car back for about a week and so far so good. We've taken it to the 'spot' where the stall happened twice before and tried multiple times to reproduce. We've gone on hot days, cold nights, full tank, empty tank... everything to try and see if it will happen again and if it's a combination of other factors. We'll let you know if it ever happens again.

Btw, our sales guy mentioned when we picked it up that a top Porsche Service guy had been into the dealership from corporate and he wondered if it had anything to do with our car and issue... maybe they are taking it more seriously than we think. Our sales guy is 'awesome' btw, if you are looking at Porsche in Dallas go to Park Place and ask for Jason Putnam. Super smart, professional... only good things to say about him.

Old 02-12-2012, 01:41 PM
Jace is a glorious beacon of lightJace is a glorious beacon of lightJace is a glorious beacon of lightJace is a glorious beacon of lightJace is a glorious beacon of lightJace is a glorious beacon of light
Jason P also sold me my CTT.
Good guy.

Old 02-13-2012, 11:26 AM
steph280 has a spectacular aura aboutsteph280 has a spectacular aura about
Any chance you can ask them to share what the tech note is?

Old 02-15-2012, 10:37 AM
nhirsch will become famous soon enoughnhirsch will become famous soon enough
Originally Posted by synk
Seems the hybrids have a similar problem but didn't see anything else there that is described in this thread.

Old 02-15-2012, 12:43 PM
synk will become famous soon enough
If you have this issue, then you should definitely file a complaint with the NHTSA. So far, only 1 person has reported this issue on that site. That's not enough. If enough people report, then they might deem it a trend at start their own investigation. Even the slightest hint of an investigation will probably prompt Porsche to react more swiftly.

Old 02-18-2012, 02:45 PM
V10
V10 will become famous soon enough
Just thinking out loud - it could be as simple as the power steering system having too much of a restriction (we called it the J-hose restrictor tube in the Audi/VW hydraulic systems) in the flow of fluid and thus the pressure backs up causing the pump pully to lock momentarily, stalling the engine. Increasing the idle speed and replacing the fluid restrictor tube in the J-hose to control fluid pressures and flow might resolve.

Old 02-19-2012, 09:04 PM
Turn PSM Off
TheJudge will become famous soon enough
With all due respect to everyone posting their opinion on whether or not this is a big enough issue to qualify as a widespread problem; I suggest you find another thread to post on.

The mere fact that numerous people on this thread alone have experienced the problem more than proves that the issue is widespread. What percentage of cayenne owners do you believe actively read 6speedonline? Out of this miniscule minority of owners, a large number are reporting a problem that can not be anymore of a critical life and death fault for the driver and innocent people on the street. We dont need to figure out what the issue with the car is. That is not our job as owners. That is the companies responsibility. What we do need to figure out is the best approach to have Porsche accept responsibility in order to avoid innocent people being killed.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: '12 Cayenne S Engine Stall