Cayenne 958 Porsche's 958 SUV. Cayenne, Cayenne S, and Cayenne Turbo message forum.

'12 Cayenne S Engine Stall

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-17-2011, 11:11 AM
Turn PSM Off
TheJudge will become famous soon enough
Exclamation '12 Cayenne S Engine Stall

So I've had my car for two days and approximately 140 miles and while I'm making a right turn on a city street the car completely shuts down. Engine off, steering wheel locked, brakes stiff. I was two inches away from barreling into another car. I slammed on the brakes as hard as possible and escaped an accident. Has anyone else had this issue? I'm absolutely livid. I had the car towed to my dealer and after a day of road testing they could not find a fault. I have no idea what to do next. If the car stalls on the highway or on a cliff I'm likely to have a serious life threatening accident.

Old 08-17-2011, 12:05 PM
slw23 is on a distinguished road
There was another thread of someone's 2011 CS doing something similar. I've had my '11 V6 for just about 7 months, never experienced any like this. Do you have the auto/stop/start on? I always drive with mine OFF, as I don't like the engine stopping/starting at every light. Wonder if that may have something to do with it? Good luck.

Old 08-17-2011, 12:32 PM
No.92 is just really niceNo.92 is just really niceNo.92 is just really niceNo.92 is just really nice
Man, I hope this isn't a glitch in the '12 models. That's kinda scary.

Old 08-17-2011, 12:37 PM
kwihk will become famous soon enoughkwihk will become famous soon enough
Had mine for little over 2200km and had no problems... Above problem is something we all Wanna pass damn!

Old 08-17-2011, 04:09 PM
bruinxman is on a distinguished road
Like someone said above sounds like its an issue with the auto start/stop function. Too soon to tell for me its only been 2 days but no issues thus far. With that said, its one of those things that definitely needs to be fixed ASAP. You should be in better shape the next time it happens, hopefully it doesn't, since you'll be prepared. Good luck.

Old 08-18-2011, 07:58 AM
Black Pepper S is on a distinguished road
This also sounds like a potential High Pressure Fuel Pump (HPFP) issue. BMW drivers with the Dual Clutch Transmissions were having similar issues. I read stories about engine lag and even shutting down on roadways. People would have them replaced but the issue seemed to be repetitive in some cases.

I really hope that is not the case. BMW offered a 10yr warranty on their HPFPs so it was a big enough problem to force them to offer a solution. I never had any issues with my 2010 Z4 with DCT.

Old 08-22-2011, 08:42 AM
Black Pepper S is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by Black Pepper S
This also sounds like a potential High Pressure Fuel Pump (HPFP) issue. BMW drivers with the Dual Clutch Transmissions were having similar issues. I read stories about engine lag and even shutting down on roadways. People would have them replaced but the issue seemed to be repetitive in some cases.

I really hope that is not the case. BMW offered a 10yr warranty on their HPFPs so it was a big enough problem to force them to offer a solution. I never had any issues with my 2010 Z4 with DCT.
So driving this morning, I noticed a clear lag from pressing the accelerator to the vehicle moving....Not sure if this is a real issue with the automatic start or just the Cayenne not being sufficiently warmed up for the morning commute.

I have an appointment today for the AC issue and will bring this issue up with the SA as well.

Old 11-16-2011, 05:46 PM
benzazas is on a distinguished road
Cayenne 2011 stalling

Yeah!! I bought my brand new 2011 cayenne turbo in May 2011 and it has stalled three times. The first happened after about one month. It stopped at a busy light as I turned right. Scared the heck out of me. The car rolled back as I stepped on the gas. Lucky no one was behind me at the time. The engine came on when the gear lever was moved to park. Happened again a month later, while turning right again at an intersection. Missed the car in front of me by inches. Lost all power, steering locked, rolled forward out of control. Sent car to dealer. Told me after 3 weeks and DME change - I think that's what they called it, that they could not reproduce my complaint. They thought the problem was fixed. Happened again the afternoon the car was delivered back to me. I sent the car back to the dealer and have refused to take it back. Porsche refuses to take it back and says my problem is not reproducible. I have retained a lawyer. I would like other folks with similar problems to join me to get Porsche to do something about the danger this cars pose. My name is Benjamin Igwemezie. My private email is benzazas@gmail.com.

Old 11-16-2011, 06:18 PM
frank69m has a spectacular aura aboutfrank69m has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by TheJudge
So I've had my car for two days and approximately 140 miles and while I'm making a right turn on a city street the car completely shuts down. Engine off, steering wheel locked, brakes stiff. I was two inches away from barreling into another car. I slammed on the brakes as hard as possible and escaped an accident. Has anyone else had this issue? I'm absolutely livid. I had the car towed to my dealer and after a day of road testing they could not find a fault. I have no idea what to do next. If the car stalls on the highway or on a cliff I'm likely to have a serious life threatening accident.

like everyone asked...was the auto start/stop function on or off at the time?

I bet it has something to do with the auto start/stop feature. IMHO, it's one of the dumbest features on the vehicle. Does it really save that much more gas? I guess it does it you have 20 stoplights to work that takes 5 minutes each, but is this reality?

Last edited by frank69m; 11-16-2011 at 06:21 PM.
Old 11-16-2011, 06:33 PM
Jace is a glorious beacon of lightJace is a glorious beacon of lightJace is a glorious beacon of lightJace is a glorious beacon of lightJace is a glorious beacon of lightJace is a glorious beacon of light
I had this same exact experience ONCE. Making a hard right turn cat went dead, no power steering, weak pedal feel, all shut down.
Coasted to a stop and turned back on. Since then(happened around 7,000 miles), since then no recurrence.

I mentioned to my service advisor, no logged computer error and he was baffled.
Hasn't happened since so I am hopeful not again...
We will see....

Old 11-16-2011, 06:47 PM
Stalling 2011 cayenne turbo

By the way the start/stop function in my cayenne was never turned on. Porsche does not want to admit that cayenne has a problem. There are other postings regarding this problem. Google "cayenne 2011 stalling" and follow the links.

Old 11-16-2011, 07:00 PM
frank69m has a spectacular aura aboutfrank69m has a spectacular aura about
Well, this all kind of scares me. If you accidently hit someone, I guess it would be hard to prove it was because of the vehicle and you can't sue Porsche.

Old 11-16-2011, 07:09 PM
I agree. My advise is that you do what I did, which is to stop driving the car and take it back to the dealer, then contact Porsche and reject the car. There is no computer record of these events and you are on your own. Porsche is feigning ignorance. We should all get together and file a legal action against Porsche. The car needs to be recalled. I don't see that any of them is safe. I don't want to be the one to have an accident and possibly kill someone before something is done.

Old 11-16-2011, 07:11 PM
steph280 has a spectacular aura aboutsteph280 has a spectacular aura about
reminds me of the poor dude who spent years in jail after he claim his Camery accelerated by itself and killed somebody. He was let out few years back when Toyota finally admit to the gas pedal problem.

I hope Porsche will find out what's wrong, soon!

By the way I seen mention of this on the S and turbo model. Is it engine specific, or just those with the start/stop function?

Old 11-16-2011, 07:35 PM
Ylincooper is on a distinguished road
Is this still happening? Has it been resolved?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: '12 Cayenne S Engine Stall