Cayenne 958 Porsche's 958 SUV. Cayenne, Cayenne S, and Cayenne Turbo message forum.

'12 Cayenne S Engine Stall

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-10-2012, 07:24 PM
benzazas is on a distinguished road
Frank69m! It's easy to be glib about the stall problem if u have never experienced it. Just hope it never happens to u @ a busy intersection. U might have a different opinion then.

Old 01-10-2012, 09:19 PM
frank69m has a spectacular aura aboutfrank69m has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by benzazas
Frank69m! It's easy to be glib about the stall problem if u have never experienced it. Just hope it never happens to u @ a busy intersection. U might have a different opinion then.

Well. I wouldn't be happy if it happened to me. All I'm saying is...if there are 600 people on these forums and you only hear 4-5 people complain about it, then is it really widespread? I mean, what is that, less than 1%.

And yes, If I were you and spent that much on a car, I'd be pissed and after Porsche all day and night. So, I'm with you there. My point being, if it is such a small percentage of people, it could be just related to a few specific builds and shouldn't affect a buyer from buying the car because they think that it will stop when they make a turn. It might be you just got the lemon on the lot which can happen to anyone. Heck, I bought a Toyota Truck...yes reliability right, well, at around 75k, I had head gasket issues and I drive that truck like a grandma. Uh, head gasket, Toyota? I probably got the lemon on the lot.

Old 01-10-2012, 11:17 PM
finiteyoda is on a distinguished road
I can kinda understand too (both sides of the argument). My cayenne hasn't had any stalling issues, but my wife was driving our CLS55 once when it stalled in the middle of an intersection. Totally unexpected and unexplained, from such a reliable car, and never happened again, but it really freaked her out. It's happened to me before on my Lexus too (cold weather). Not indicative of any serious problems I don't think, but it's just sometimes the nature of cars to stall. If you've driven stick shift, you probably just shrug whenever it happens and turn the engine back on.

Now on the other hand, if it's a repetitive thing (like some people on the thread are reporting), that sounds like a real issue, which Porsche needs to address. But in all likelihood, a class action lawsuit just ain't gonna happen, because so few people seem to be reporting the issue. Porsche (and the dealer) definitely need to take care of the people affected though, and I hope it gets resolved for them. Keep us updated!

Old 01-11-2012, 04:24 AM
emag is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by steph280
Jace: So you had a system update done between 3000 and 15000 miles? Was it ECU flash of some sort?
This is the two thread I've found which MAY related to the engine stall issue.

https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...ck-engine.html

http://forums.rennlist.com/rennforum...-issues-2.html
Thread #24

DME (ECU?) & High fuel pressure pump replacement might help. Hope this help and pls keep us updated

Old 01-11-2012, 06:56 AM
Originally Posted by emag
This is the two thread I've found which MAY related to the engine stall issue.

https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...ck-engine.html

http://forums.rennlist.com/rennforum...-issues-2.html
Thread #24

DME (ECU?) & High fuel pressure pump replacement might help. Hope this help and pls keep us updated

Ok then, might I suggest something for the people who seem to have this problem the most, just for kicks, spend a few $$$ and replace the fuel pump and report back in a few months of spirited driving and turns to see if you still have issues. This may just put this issue to rest.

I say this because we all know if the Porsche dealership can't reproduce the problem, then you have no problem. And even if they reproduce it once, they need to reproduce it all the time before they can figure out the issue. And it isn't a class action unless everyone has the issue. Yes, maybe Porsche is ignorant, but how do you expect them to fix something they can't reproduce? Think it is up to people who have this issue and want to keep their car to start swapping suspected parts, look at the computer, etc.

Last edited by frank69m; 01-11-2012 at 07:05 AM.
Old 01-11-2012, 12:47 PM
I wouldn't buy a cayenne right now knowing that if I have a serious problem, like recurrent stalling that Porsche would pretend it's not happening or not know what to do to fix it. With Porsche u r on ur own. That's all I'm saying. Mire over there is m

Old 01-11-2012, 12:53 PM
More over there are more than 5-6 people with this problem. It's a lot more pervasive. I know folks w/ same prob who are not on this thread or reporting it online. The dealers and PNA know it's more serious.

Old 01-11-2012, 01:28 PM
well. are you going to do what I had mentioned?

Old 01-11-2012, 05:39 PM
They have refused 2 buy back the car. I last saw it in 08/2011. It has been with the dealer. I won't drive it. It's too dangerous. When and if it happens to you, you will know.

Old 01-11-2012, 05:45 PM
finiteyoda is on a distinguished road
More over there are more than 5-6 people with this problem. It's a lot more pervasive. I know folks w/ same prob who are not on this thread or reporting it online. The dealers and PNA know it's more serious.
I find this kind of hard to believe... the first thing people tend to do when having a problem is go report it on a forum. In this thread alone, you have more people saying they've never experienced the problem than who have. That's extremely unusual on a forum, for any widespread problem.

Does your state have a lemon law? I have a couple friends who've gotten stuck with lemons before, and while not a fun process to deal with, they were able to get the dealer to buy back the car under lemon law.

ALSO: something that could really help your cause, take a video of the car stalling (have a friend who's driven a manual before help you out, if you're really that scared of it) and post on youtube. Something like that lends credibility to your cause, and can kick PNA into gear.

Old 01-11-2012, 05:55 PM
They have refused 2 buy back the car. I last saw it in 08/2011. It has been with the dealer. I won't drive it. It's too dangerous. When and if it happens to you, you will know.
Uh, if you read my post, I said, why don't you do what others have suggested...change your fuel pump...if you don't get it anymore, hey you will be the hero of all of us. Let us know, let porsche know and we'll all be happy. Ranting and raving about something in a forum as opposed to trying to find the root cause won't do any good. If you wish to pursue Porsche with a lawsuit, you are more than welcome to. I'm not sure how much good it will do.

If you really hate Porsche now, why don't you just sell the car?

finiteyoda, they can't consider it a lemon unless they've actually tried to fix it and they failed a number of times. Nothing they can re-produce to fix.

Last edited by frank69m; 01-11-2012 at 05:58 PM.
Old 01-11-2012, 05:58 PM
I'm working on it.

Old 01-11-2012, 06:08 PM
I don't hate Porsche. My daily drive is a 997 TT. I have owned 4 porsches including the first edition cayenne. I believe they have a faulty car in the new cayenne.

Old 01-11-2012, 06:21 PM
pepper09tt is a splendid one to beholdpepper09tt is a splendid one to beholdpepper09tt is a splendid one to beholdpepper09tt is a splendid one to beholdpepper09tt is a splendid one to beholdpepper09tt is a splendid one to beholdpepper09tt is a splendid one to behold
5000 miles of fairly spirited driving and never a problem..knock knock...(V maxed it a few times..175 is the most i could do)
Though if stalling is like when the auto stop comes on,where you have no engine running,but also no steering nor brakes..that has got to be
I have noticed(fortunately when stopped at a light with my foot on brake!)that when the auto stop engages and i try to move the steering wheel..no can do..like its dead in the water...
..To have that happen as you are driving along!!!!WTF???
5 cases is 5 cases too much!..someone could have gotten hurt!!
Porsche should have addressed the problem after the FIRST complaint...

Last edited by pepper09tt; 01-11-2012 at 06:29 PM.
Old 01-13-2012, 05:17 PM
Pete4 1.8t is on a distinguished road
Stall

Hey Guys,

Ditto for us too! We have a 2011 Cayenne V6/Tiptronic that we ordered mid 2010 and took delivery of late 2010. We currently have 15,000 miles on it and today for the first time it stalled out multiple times upon shifting into Drive. It has never happened before but today did it repeatedly until after a short period of time when it decided to work again. It would be great to get to the bottom of this, this is not a great problem to have.

Also, we NEVER turn on the Auto Start/Stop.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: '12 Cayenne S Engine Stall