Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New 9" screen in my 04 (pics). Need help with fiber optics

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-10-2015, 07:37 PM
Rampino will become famous soon enough
New 9" screen in my 04 (pics). Need help with fiber optics

I have an 04 Cayenne Turbo with the BOSE MOST sound system. I want to see if I can get the Bose amp to work without that "kit" that costs $600. I know that I can buy an amp and be done with it but that is not the point here. I am on a quest to see if I can The plan is to put in an analog to digital converter behind the dash for the signal to the amp.

My question is:
What does fiber optic return cable do? What signal is it sending back to the PCM?

As of now, the radio is all hooked up and everything is working but the speakers (at least I have the exhaust to listen to).

Old 09-11-2015, 02:44 AM
Tuscani66 is on a distinguished road
Very nice!

I only know of the kit to make it work, hope you're able to figure it out - something I'd like to do as well. Nice job, close up of the fitment? Did you do a standard usb power inverter? What are you using for sound deployment (after you figure out the MOST thing but audio out through the headphone jack?). Is it removable?

Old 09-11-2015, 03:33 AM
Serg124 has a reputation beyond reputeSerg124 has a reputation beyond reputeSerg124 has a reputation beyond reputeSerg124 has a reputation beyond reputeSerg124 has a reputation beyond reputeSerg124 has a reputation beyond reputeSerg124 has a reputation beyond reputeSerg124 has a reputation beyond reputeSerg124 has a reputation beyond reputeSerg124 has a reputation beyond reputeSerg124 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Rampino
see if I can
you can - what? to invent your own porsche specific da converter? sorry, but based on your questions - no, you cant, much more knowledge and skills required. such da converters exists, buy ready one.

Old 09-30-2015, 02:36 PM
I figured it all out. I should have the parts in a few weeks. Stay tuned.......

Old 10-02-2015, 05:00 AM
Tuscani66 is on a distinguished road
Looking forward to it!

Old 11-10-2015, 11:34 PM
PORSCHEAUDIOLUV is an unknown quantity at this point
it is possible to bypass the bose amp and rewire but you will need to add crossovers for the speakers and a new amp . thats the easiest and best way . otherwise you can use the navtv most HUR . i have them available at my store. feel free to send me a message

Old 11-22-2015, 09:40 PM
shark is on a distinguished road
I'm looking in getting the same 9" screen head unit. I read the specs that it can use microSD but I don't see the where you insert the card. Can you help me understand the location when the card to be inserted?

Old 12-02-2015, 10:47 AM
Originally Posted by shark
I'm looking in getting the same 9" screen head unit. I read the specs that it can use microSD but I don't see the where you insert the card. Can you help me understand the location when the card to be inserted?
To be honest, I am not sure where it is either. There is a ton of space on the SD card that is already in the unit. Mine came with a few thousand songs and a movie. There are 2 external USB cables that can be used as well. I am just going to format the SD card through the USB and use that. I'll reply again if I figure out where it physically is.

Old 12-02-2015, 11:09 AM
Update

Hi All,
Sorry for not updating this. I finally figured out the fiber optic situation. I learned a lot about the 16 different signals that fiber optics run. When all was said and done, I probably spent about $150 in parts and made a mess behind the radio. In all my searching, I was able to find a company that can sell the converter for about $200 in a nice easy package.

I ripped out all my crap and decided to use that. The only drawback that I have found so far is in the speaker balance capabilities. I may still mess with it some but it's much harder to mess with now that I have a radio that works.

The Radio Review:
The unit takes about 20 seconds to start which does not seem like a big deal until you are waiting for it. You can set the auto shut off for an hour so that when you go t the store or pump gas, it will just resume like any other tablet that has not been shut down.
The bluetooth capabilities are nice. When you play your music through you phone, there is no display or controls for your music though. I don't use the feature much since I have Pandora now.
The included GPS software is nice (basersoft or something like that). The great thing about the Google operating system is that you can just download somethig else like Waze if you don't like the program.
The wifi connection is fast to connect to networks and hols the signal great. I have been teathering the radio to my phone to avoid setting up another wireless plan.
The radio is simple. My reception still sucks but that is not new. I am sure that I have an antenna issue.
The steering wheel controls work like they are supposed to and can be programed for different functions.
The OBD2 performance gauge ap is silly but still fun. It can read all of your fault codes like any other code reader but it also has a number of different gauges that will display (close to) real time info. The lag makes them useless for performance but there are a few gauges that you get that you do not have on your cureent cluster like voltage and AFR.

Bottom line:
I would absolutely buy this radio again in a heartbeat.

Last edited by Rampino; 12-02-2015 at 02:21 PM.
Old 12-02-2015, 12:45 PM
shark is on a distinguished road
What is the unit called to get the fibre optic to work?

Originally Posted by Rampino
Hi All,
Sorry for not updating this. I finally figured out the fiber optic situation. I learned a lot about the 16 different signals that fiber optics run. When all was said and done, I probably spent about $150 in parts and made a mess behind the radio. In all my searching, I was able to find a company that can sell the converter for about $200 in a nice easy package.

I ripped out all my crap and decided to use that. The only drawback that I have found so far is in the speaker balance capabilities. I may still mess with it some but it's much harder to mess with now that I have a radio that works.

The unit takes about 20 seconds to start which does not seem like a big deal until you are waiting for it. You can set the auto shut off for an hour so that when you go t the store or pump gas, it will just resume like any other tablet that has not been shut down.
The bluetooth capabilities are nice. When you play your music through you phone, there is no display or controls for your music though. I don't use the feature much since I have Pandora now.
The included GPS software is nice (basersoft or something like that). The great thing about the Google operating system is that you can just download somethig else like Waze if you don't like the program.
The wifi connection is fast to connect to networks and hols the signal great. I have been teathering the radio to my phone to avoid setting up another wireless plan.
The radio is simple. My reception still sucks but that is not new. I am sure that I have an antenna issue.
The steering wheel controls work like they are supposed to and can be programed for different functions.
The OBD2 performance gauge ap is silly but still fun. It can read all of your fault codes like any other code reader but it also has a number of different gauges that will display (close to) real time info. The lag makes them useless for performance but there are a few gauges that you get that you do not have on your cureent cluster like voltage and AFR.

Bottom line:
I would absolutely buy this radio again in a heartbeat.

Old 12-02-2015, 01:45 PM
Originally Posted by shark
What is the unit called to get the fibre optic to work?
I just sent you a PM.

No secrets; I just need to iron a few things out with the dealer and see if we can get some group discounts if there is a big demand.

Old 06-27-2017, 06:27 AM
jasoncbewley is an unknown quantity at this point
Hey, this is Jason. I have an 06 cayenne S and I have spent quite a bit of time researching doing what you did with your radio. Can you tell me what you use? is that an I-pad or tablet PC?