Detailing Paint, body, detailing and waxing.

How to kill mold?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-20-2011, 05:55 PM
Euro SC has much to be proud ofEuro SC has much to be proud ofEuro SC has much to be proud ofEuro SC has much to be proud ofEuro SC has much to be proud ofEuro SC has much to be proud ofEuro SC has much to be proud ofEuro SC has much to be proud ofEuro SC has much to be proud of
Question How to kill mold?

I have recently acquired a 1992 325i that had a vapor barrier leaking on the right rear door. The carpet has some black mold growing in the foam backing of the carpet. I know that replacing the carpet is the best option, BMW no longer sells tan carpet. What can I safely use to kill the mold? What should I use to get rid of the musty smell in the interior.

Last edited by Euro SC; 01-20-2011 at 07:15 PM.
Old 01-21-2011, 06:42 PM
Former Vendor
detailersdomain has a reputation beyond reputedetailersdomain has a reputation beyond reputedetailersdomain has a reputation beyond reputedetailersdomain has a reputation beyond reputedetailersdomain has a reputation beyond reputedetailersdomain has a reputation beyond reputedetailersdomain has a reputation beyond reputedetailersdomain has a reputation beyond reputedetailersdomain has a reputation beyond reputedetailersdomain has a reputation beyond reputedetailersdomain has a reputation beyond repute
an ozone machine will kill the order.

you will probably need to steam or extract the carpets with a mold killing chemical.

have you tried finding a used carpet on ebay?

Old 01-21-2011, 07:16 PM
Euro SC has much to be proud ofEuro SC has much to be proud ofEuro SC has much to be proud ofEuro SC has much to be proud ofEuro SC has much to be proud ofEuro SC has much to be proud ofEuro SC has much to be proud ofEuro SC has much to be proud ofEuro SC has much to be proud of
Yeah, I haven't had any luck finding a decent used carpet. Any suggestions for chemicals to use on the carpet?

Old 01-21-2011, 07:44 PM
Former Vendor
detailjohn is a splendid one to beholddetailjohn is a splendid one to beholddetailjohn is a splendid one to beholddetailjohn is a splendid one to beholddetailjohn is a splendid one to beholddetailjohn is a splendid one to beholddetailjohn is a splendid one to behold
DrivePur kills mold. Be sure to clean your vacuum afterwards, and replace the filter also too.

John

Old 01-22-2011, 04:32 PM
Jean Claude is on a distinguished road
There was a case(s) where a home was condemned due to mold, the house was burned to the ground and there was still stachybotrys(most likely what is growing in your car) living in the ashes. The safest and most sure way to eliminate the mold is to remove the backing and possibly the carpet if it's growing on the carpet as well.

If that's not an option remove the foam, let it dry, paint it with a sealer.

Last option should be ozone(or if you just want the easiest option).

A long time ago and a lifetime back, I did mold remediation. We operated by the premise that there's not sure way to kill the stuff. Remove it.

Old 01-23-2011, 05:03 AM
TOGWT is a splendid one to beholdTOGWT is a splendid one to beholdTOGWT is a splendid one to beholdTOGWT is a splendid one to beholdTOGWT is a splendid one to beholdTOGWT is a splendid one to beholdTOGWT is a splendid one to behold
Dirt and moisture are essential to mildew propagation, which is very difficult to eradicate as mould uses enzymes to digest nutrients from organic materials, the mould forms on top of the material and also down into its fibres leaving circular or black spots in an irregular pattern. Mould / mildew needs to be neutralized as it will not dissipate without treatment as the spores are still present and moisture will regenerate them

Carpets, Mats and Fabric and Vinyl covered upholstery Microban Mildew & Mold Remover is an environmentally-safe, anti-microbial formula that destroys mould, mildew, and other bacterial odours on contact. When you cannot use chlorine, Microban is a very effective solution. The formula is a water-based, non-flammable bactericide, fungicide, deodorant and anti-microbial, all in one formulation

Application - do not dilute, use full strength, apply via sprayer to porous surfaces until moist, no not over wet, brush into carpeting, allow to dry 10-20 minutes.

Due to VOC Regulations Microban cannot ship to California

Old 01-27-2011, 09:27 PM
PERFECTION is on a distinguished road
I do a ton of flood damage vehicles for State Farm and Progressive I will pm you my number.

Old 01-27-2011, 10:59 PM
teflon_jones Is a GOD !teflon_jones Is a GOD !teflon_jones Is a GOD !teflon_jones Is a GOD !teflon_jones Is a GOD !teflon_jones Is a GOD !teflon_jones Is a GOD !teflon_jones Is a GOD !teflon_jones Is a GOD !teflon_jones Is a GOD !teflon_jones Is a GOD !
Very hard to get rid of. The best way is to strip the carpet, sanitize, and replace it. Mold spores can live a long time in any environment. Things like bleach will kill them if they're saturated, but you'd have to remove the carpet for that.

Old 02-01-2011, 03:04 PM
Centauro97 is a jewel in the roughCentauro97 is a jewel in the roughCentauro97 is a jewel in the roughCentauro97 is a jewel in the rough
Mold requires water to grow and reproduce. Remove the water it dies but leaves behind spores (same as seeds for plants). Without more water you have dead mold and spores.

Remove the dead mold and spores same as any other dust. Adding mildewcides is necessary when you can't remove the moisture (air conditioner evaporators, showers, etc).

The musty odor will go away once you get rid of the moisture. Everything else is just damage control.

Mold is ubiquitous, it's everywhere, you never get rid of it permanently. But a good clean up using many of the previously mentioned actions is reasonable, but keep it dry for goodness' sake!

Old 02-07-2013, 10:29 AM
TomE is a jewel in the roughTomE is a jewel in the roughTomE is a jewel in the roughTomE is a jewel in the rough
I'll start by saying that I don't have any experience with this product.
BUT, some guys that I trust in the boat business swear by this stuff:
Sporicidin Disinfectant Solution

They say that the effects are very long-lasting.

The product literature suggests it is safe to use on many fabrics and that it is not wickedly toxic. It would almost certainly be preferable to bleach in most any automotive application. And it might well be preferable to the ozone treatments (which will tend to degrade plastics etc in the cabin).
I'm going to use it on our boat this spring.

Good luck