Mini Cooper Austin and Morris Mini talk, and the 2001-2006 Mini and Mini S, 2007 to present Mini and Mini S

Turbo vs Supercharger? Which Mini S to get?

Old 07-20-2007, 03:23 PM
newport996 will become famous soon enoughnewport996 will become famous soon enough
Turbo vs Supercharger? Which Mini S to get?

I am thinking about getting a Mini S...but I now have a dilemma get a new one with the Turbo, or get a used one with the Supercharger? Which one????? I know its probably been discussed to death, but indulge a new guy to the Mini group...thanks....

Old 07-20-2007, 03:33 PM
Jedidiah is on a distinguished road
get a Supercharged for more involvement and driving experience and the Turbo if you want the latest and greatest with good power and an enjoyable daily drive.... I would say a good comparo would be a GT3 (Supercharged) vs. Turbo (Turbo). The comparison not being directly related to platform but more to driving characteristics and involvement. Hope that helps.

Old 07-20-2007, 03:37 PM
newport996 will become famous soon enoughnewport996 will become famous soon enough
so the supercharged is more a drivers car and is more sports car like...the Turbo is more a smooth driving car...more tame....mod wise which one can be more reliably modded? I mean I dont wanna put 500hp in it or anything, but a nice bump in HP making a fun car more fun...I plan on suspension, brakes, and HP mods....I guess I can get a used Mini S and the mods all at or below the price of the Turbo....As you guys can see I am leaning towards the Supercharged....am I correct in my thoughts?

Old 07-21-2007, 09:38 AM
dzy
dzy has a reputation beyond reputedzy has a reputation beyond reputedzy has a reputation beyond reputedzy has a reputation beyond reputedzy has a reputation beyond reputedzy has a reputation beyond reputedzy has a reputation beyond reputedzy has a reputation beyond reputedzy has a reputation beyond reputedzy has a reputation beyond reputedzy has a reputation beyond repute
The New version (the turbo version) is a better allround car. It's got a more luxurious interior, more up to date technology and the car is quicker (you can compare the new S with the old one slightly tuned ~190hp). The new car isn't as involving to drive, it looks a bit awkward imho and it looks bigger. You're seated a bit higher in the new version, which means that you feel less connected to the road. The old one is smaller, more nimble and feels sportier. The performance isn't as good as the new one stock vs. stock, but there are plenty of tuning options out there. Under 250hp is cheap to get. The interior is not that great and I suggest that you look for a JCW version (already tuned, but most of all, sport seats that cost a bunch to add). Another thing is the sound. The s/c version has a distinct sound that's more unique and involving than the turbo. The turbo engine is a joint BMW/Peugeot venture, hence the engine can be found in the Peugeot 306 Rc. I'd go for a relativly new JCW supercharged version, if not the Mini GP. As daily drivers, their not the best, but when that tight corner comes along, you know why you bought it.
If you got any questions, just ask or pm. I've driven both versions extensivly but still consider my "old" version to be the better choice if you prioritize sport before comfort.

Here is a write-up I did after my first test drive, beck when the car first came out. It should help you with some of your questions.
https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...ad.php?t=65320

Last edited by dzy; 07-21-2007 at 09:48 AM.
Old 07-21-2007, 10:04 AM
Louie@absolute is on a distinguished road
get the old one (sc) and add a turbo kit. then you have best of both worlds

Old 07-21-2007, 04:44 PM
unrealsword is on a distinguished road
Super adds power all around, Turbo adds higher at the higher RPM.

Old 07-21-2007, 05:47 PM
adybuncio is a jewel in the roughadybuncio is a jewel in the roughadybuncio is a jewel in the rough
I have a 07 MCS, love the turbo and I can pass quickly without downshifting. I was following a Ford GT on the 405 from San Diego and easily passed him at 100mph without downshifting. Love my MCS, havent really "driven" a supercharged model yet.

Old 07-21-2007, 11:28 PM
Originally Posted by adybuncio
I have a 07 MCS, love the turbo and I can pass quickly without downshifting. I was following a Ford GT on the 405 from San Diego and easily passed him at 100mph without downshifting. Love my MCS, havent really "driven" a supercharged model yet.
Thx for your report, but there is absolutely NOTHING you can do to pass a Ford GT on a Mini....That like me saying, I passed a Veyron easily at 130 in my C4 Cab....

Old 07-21-2007, 11:45 PM
adybuncio is a jewel in the roughadybuncio is a jewel in the roughadybuncio is a jewel in the rough
Originally Posted by newport996
Thx for your report, but there is absolutely NOTHING you can do to pass a Ford GT on a Mini....That like me saying, I passed a Veyron easily at 130 in my C4 Cab....
I wasnt racing or anything, just loved the look on his face when he saw me go by at 100, wish I had my camera, then right after he gunned it and there is no way I could have caught up. He was with this hot chic, so, I guess he wanted to impress her.

Old 07-23-2007, 04:54 PM
beaner is on a distinguished road
i have an 06 MCS. the best thing about this engine is that the aftermarket already exists. the engine has been in production since 02 and is well sorted. i have driven the turbo version and like the available torque. however, is doesn't handle like my (highly modded) 06. Maybe the new car is a better daily driver, but i wouldn't trade for a track/spirited driver. i might just turn my 06 into a track only car and get an 07 turbo for a DD. drive them both, then decide. they are very different cars.

Old 07-26-2007, 09:40 PM
VoiD is on a distinguished road
Good thing about the late year supercharged cars is that they already have most of the kinks worked out..

My '05 is up for sale by the way..

Old 07-28-2007, 11:31 AM
dzy
dzy has a reputation beyond reputedzy has a reputation beyond reputedzy has a reputation beyond reputedzy has a reputation beyond reputedzy has a reputation beyond reputedzy has a reputation beyond reputedzy has a reputation beyond reputedzy has a reputation beyond reputedzy has a reputation beyond reputedzy has a reputation beyond reputedzy has a reputation beyond repute
VoiD: Not many problems with the early cars afaik. My 03 runs like a charm and I haven't heard of any major problem commonly occuring. All in all, they seem to hold up, even if you abuse it a bit.

Old 08-02-2007, 05:40 PM
msindi is on a distinguished road
No offense but last I checked GT3 was an NA engine not SC....

Old 08-03-2007, 10:38 AM
dzy
Mansour, I think that what Jedidiah meant with his analogy was that the Gt3 was the old MCS (the supercharged version) and the new (turbo charged) version was more like the 996tt.

Old 08-14-2007, 02:41 PM
mike5876 is on a distinguished road
i have the s/c car but i might rather have the turbo

Search this Thread
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:
You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Turbo vs Supercharger? Which Mini S to get?