Nissan GTR Forum for the R32, R33, R34 and R35 "Godzilla"

GT-R drivetrain warranty claim denied because owner turned traction control off!!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-07-2008, 10:20 PM
JackGt3 has a spectacular aura aboutJackGt3 has a spectacular aura about
Thumbs down GT-R drivetrain warranty claim denied because owner turned traction control off!!

http://www.teamspeed.com/forums/japa...ntrol-off.html

This is unacceptable Nissan!

Old 10-08-2008, 07:28 AM
jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !
this is misinformation jackgt3!

thanks for warning us owners, prospective owners, and enthusiasts. but the issue of wear-and-tear items has come up. i like where this is going.

i feel better about the current direction.

but i turned off my traction control, and my warranty isn't voided... so i have first hand knowledge that your initial title for this thread is incorrect.

Old 10-08-2008, 11:09 AM
prpsebuilt is an unknown quantity at this point
The mere fact that Nissan is not honoring this guys warranty is complete BS. They are covering their asses at the expense of the consumer. Yeah this happens everyday but not at this level of corporate ignorance/fraud. Nissan is 'entrapping' the owner; here is a shiny button push it, push it !! Ohhhhhhhhh you pushed it ... now your gonna' pay !!!! Complete BS.

Old 10-08-2008, 11:25 AM
Streamlined is on a distinguished road
funny, I do believe this is the same guy who popped up elsewhere revealing that he was trying to LC the car before it was even warmed up. Let me guess that just turning off traction control is not the only issue here. And I know Nissan is not the only company to not want to foot the bill for repairs as a result of driver caused problems (and lord knows I have had enough of those discussions with other brand service and about mods to cars to last me a lifetime).

It seems like the problem comes from launching the car a lot (and I imagine some are also modded to make more power) and that people are not even basically treating the car well or reading the manual about reaching operating temps, etc

There also seems to be some inaccurate stuff floating around about 'voiding' the warranty and such. I have yet to see any number of (or even one) valid instances of a problem like this on a stock GTR that has not been LC'd a bunch (which drops the clutch at 4500rpm and subsequently overrevved/exceeded max speeds in gears while 'dragging' the car)

PS: Sorry for rather poorly written post, in a rush on way out.

Last edited by Streamlined; 10-08-2008 at 11:30 AM.
Old 10-08-2008, 11:36 AM
Perhaps what you say is true. Nissan still should have taken this into consideration and installed a chip that will prevent idiots from launching the car, something that it is meant to do, until the car is at operating temp. That little bit of tech would have saved alot of heartache. I mean this America, people love to mod, race, rag, etc .. If Nissan cannot fit the bill they should stick to Maximas, Sentras etc .. I ran the everliving crap outta my Z when new and not a single issue. Technology in the wrong hands can lead to disaster. Case in point; the GTR. Great car if you treat it like a *****y woman.

Old 10-08-2008, 11:56 AM
domlee Is a GOD !domlee Is a GOD !domlee Is a GOD !domlee Is a GOD !domlee Is a GOD !domlee Is a GOD !domlee Is a GOD !domlee Is a GOD !domlee Is a GOD !domlee Is a GOD !domlee Is a GOD !
Ignore the fact that it is a Nissan at the moment.

If the car was a Ferrari or a Lamborghini....what would happen if you launched it several times? Would Lamborghini require you to pay for the drivetrain? Or would it be under warranty?

Old 10-08-2008, 02:05 PM
Like the Nissan owner the owner of the Ferrari or Lambo would pay. Is the Ferrari, Lambo a daily driver ? I think not. The Nissan is a mass produced vehicle whose owner is a typically more cash conscience than the exotic demographic. Nissan knows this and they still produced a vehicle, and touted the launch control as a HUGE selling point to the masses (you do not see Lambo's Ferraris, dealerships at every corner like you do Nissans, Ford and Chevy. The point is that Nissan mass produced a vehicle to slay the 200k plus exotics and the launch function plays a integral role in this. The tranny in the Nissan cannot take the abuse like it's higher priced counterparts. This is a SERIOUS flaw in the design and Nissan should/will address this in next years model.

Old 10-08-2008, 02:28 PM
SpeedLimit? has a spectacular aura aboutSpeedLimit? has a spectacular aura aboutSpeedLimit? has a spectacular aura about
On the point of adding a chip, I remember reading somewhere that BMW took that step with their SMG equipped vehicles to avoid this kind of situation. IMHO, just because a car is durable doesn't mean you prove it every time you're in the drivers seat.

Old 10-08-2008, 02:38 PM
Tuskir has a spectacular aura aboutTuskir has a spectacular aura about
There is a massive thread about this on GTR forums:
http://www.nagtroc.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=25361

So the only way to achieve the claimed 0-60 times reported by Nissan is to void the warranty? I'm sorry but this is complete BS. On top of that, looks like there won't be nearly as much aftermarket support for this car since tranny can barely handle stock power output.

Last edited by Tuskir; 10-08-2008 at 02:43 PM.
Old 10-08-2008, 02:52 PM
jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Tuskir
There is a massive thread about this on GTR forums:
http://www.nagtroc.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=25361

So the only way to achieve the claimed 0-60 times reported by Nissan is to void the warranty? I'm sorry but this is complete BS. On top of that, looks like there won't be nearly as much aftermarket support for this car since tranny can barely handle stock power output.
lol! amazing...

the only way to 0-60 in 3.5 seconds is to engage launch control - does that void warranty? no. please don't just parrot useless quotes from the internet.

it has been clearly stated the position of nissan and the term 'abuse' and 'repeated use', etc... what hasn't been determined is the clutch replacement.

so there aren't enough mods already to make 600hp+? you need more?

Old 10-08-2008, 04:23 PM
Dr J is on a distinguished road
I think this issue reveals what information is logged in the 3 black boxes that are present on the GTR.

I'm sure there's LOTS of incriminating evidence in the case of the guy whose tranny failed which is the reason why they are not going to warranty the breakage (apart from the car being undriveable)

Most of the people having problems with their GTRs are driving them at the drag strip, doing high RPM launches and in general being ******bags. No car is designed for that -- especially a 4000 lb AWD behemoth like the GTR

Old 10-08-2008, 04:35 PM
You know I was thinking of responding to a variety of things and some facts but it really has all been discussed to death already on Nagtroc (although unfortunately it is tough to find a lot of info in between the troll bickering and rampant wild speculation).

The bottom line is that as far as I know there are no comparable awd launches, similar use of it/treatment of the car and warranty coverage, and if so the car's huge cost probably covers a good amount of it and/or prevents most from beating on it so (or they simply don't care and pay if nec). Nissan bragged about the Ring time, the ability of the car as a fast yet useful GT, not sure they can be blamed for what reviewers pushed that is clearly not discussed in the user manual.

In the end warranty repairs are always evaluated on a case by case basis, circumstances do matter; perhaps this is going to be something like the blow-up S54 engines on M3s and it will turn out there will be a service action, for that people had to really track stuff and force the issue once they could prove it was not driver caused. It took time and much proof like most big service recalls, if that is the case here I imagine they will have to show similar issues on non-flogged stock cars.

I agree on the fact that apparently relying on people to use common sense and rtfm is a crazy thing, they probably will have to soften the LC like other manufacturers or simply get rid of it. Won't bother me any, I bought the car to drive not showboat and the car is brilliant for that.

Last edited by Streamlined; 10-08-2008 at 04:49 PM.
Old 10-08-2008, 04:38 PM
PS - prpsebuilt you mention mass produced but I don't know that a car with a hand built engine and in low production really qualifies - not like an M3 or even 997 that they will make many many more of.

Old 10-08-2008, 04:41 PM
he probably doesn't know much about the car... that explains at least some of this ignorance that is catching on.

Old 10-08-2008, 07:20 PM
I know more than you think. I am around GTR's at the track, at events etc ... What I hear and learn is from owners, enthusiasts etc ... not mags. Listen if a Nissan dealer or ANY dealer for that matter asked me to sign a waver I would look at them in the eye and tell them to S MY D. I have not bashed the GTR, I am simply stating that they have a SERIOUS issue on their hands and I am sure they will resolve it, at whose expense is to be determined.

And yes the Nissan is a mass produced vehicle. The Viper, Z06, Porsche, AMGs, even the GT 500 all have handbuilt engines and are in relatively low numbers. Hate the GTR ? NO just hate how they are treating the owners. How can you put something on a vehicle and tell people not to use it ? Any good lawer could win this in court. Pure abuse aside. But even still, it's there for a purpose and people are going to use it.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: GT-R drivetrain warranty claim denied because owner turned traction control off!!