Panamera The 4-dour coupe by Porsche
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

AC not cold?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-20-2019, 10:06 PM
dougcayenne has a spectacular aura aboutdougcayenne has a spectacular aura aboutdougcayenne has a spectacular aura about
AC not cold?

Well, I drove my 2016 pan hybrid down to UCLA from bay area last week helping my daughter and son moving. Hot day 100-106 F along 5-freeway of the middle nowhere. My engine decided to light up 1/2 way, everything was OK, some concerns . My AC was blowing, 0 cold air, warm inside. I was sweating. LOL ...
Brought the car to porsche beverly H next day to scan the system to make sure I am OK to drive home on saturday morning. They found misfire 1,2,3,4,6 almost all. They cleared the code, I am good. What's wrong with the AC?
do you have an AC issue?
cool @63F for 1 hr drive saturday, there was no cold air coming out for the remaining 5 hrs even setting at lowest temp. Sweating !!! AC compression?

I will bring my car to FJ porsche next tuesday I have an appointment. The car is still under warranty ...

Old 06-21-2019, 08:26 AM
c4racer is an unknown quantity at this point
Let us know what they find. I had that happen on one long drive. Dealer checked out system a few days later and found no issues but there was a fault condition for low voltage or something along those lines. The battery was really low so they charged it and it tested good. They recommended using a battery tender on the car periodically because I don't drive it very often because these cars have a battery drain even when sitting apparently. They also recommended using recirc setting when running the AC as that works most efficiently. So I've done that ever since and also charge up the battery once in awhile. Never had an issue since then - probably have driven it 5K miles since then.

Old 06-21-2019, 07:22 PM
ciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant future
IMO best thing to analyze at shop, if you do not have experience as DIY. Easy to screw things up by putting in more refrigerant. It is not as simple as just add.
You have to calculate amount not to overcharge, and consider ambient temp too. There are specific charts for psi/temp for each car, and just adding is a sure way to kill the compressor.
Killed compressor = lots of money spent.
Panamera has only one system that takes care of cooling (unlike some cars like cayenne 4 zone). A regular trusted shop should be able to tell you if you have a leak, and top up.
With newer car, if topup needed, chances are its leaking somewhere. Often times, small pinholes or seal leaks develop due to bumpy rides. But sure way to see is PD at shop.

Another option is servo motors that mix air are failing. Hard to diagnose without diag tool like PIWIS2 (durametric may not have capability for Panamera).
So shop visit seems like only place to resolve. Servo motors are used by car to mix cold air to make it hot/cold, mix how strong air comes out of vents, etc.
My Cayenne turbo has about 16 of these (4zone system). Dealer price on each servo is about $250. Yeah, I know what you are thinking - yes, fixing price at dealer is a killer for this issue.
I dont know what Panamera uses for servo motors, but chances are very good servo motors are used, since many systems for Panamera are same from Cayenne.

Good luck.

Last edited by ciaka; 06-21-2019 at 07:26 PM.
Old 06-25-2019, 07:29 AM
skiracer13 is on a distinguished road
When my A/C stopped working I determined that a small stone came in thru the front bumper vents and hit my compressor. I needed to remove the front bumper anyway to change out my air filter and replaced the compressor at the same time. It wasn't very expensive IIRC. Hopefully yours is something much less severe but the thought of driving all summer w/o air is unbearable. Good luck w/ your fix!

Old 06-26-2019, 12:51 AM
dougcayenne has a spectacular aura aboutdougcayenne has a spectacular aura aboutdougcayenne has a spectacular aura about
My Panamera Hybrid is at FJ porsche dealer now. I will update what they found, and at the same time they will do AC campaign. In the meantime, I am driving new pan 4 hybrid as a loaner car. it is very nice and quick ...

Old 06-28-2019, 06:39 AM
Deezflip is on a distinguished road
Makes you wonder if this is related to the fire risk AC blower AKA7 recall

Old 06-28-2019, 10:14 AM
Originally Posted by Deezflip
Makes you wonder if this is related to the fire risk AC blower AKA7 recall
May be !!! the car is still at the Porsche dealer. My other 2016 Pan4, the AC is working Great. I will take 2nd PAN in as soon as I get my hybrid back ...

Old 07-07-2019, 03:28 PM

Here is the problem with AC not cold. They also fixed the 1st part of AC recall. When the new part arrive they will notify me for bring my car back. The work will be few hours.

Old 08-08-2021, 01:32 PM
onemanclique is on a distinguished road
Hey @dougcayenne I know this thread is aged now but having similar issues with ac not blowing cold air for my 970.2 gts. I had the aka7 recall performed last year and the cold air stopped working soon after. Noticed that the dealer did not charge you to repair the ac leak. Was the work performed under warranty?

Old 08-08-2021, 02:45 PM
Yes, Indeed . Even your warranty expired, No worries. Porsche will stand behind their product and pay for it. Have your Service manager working with Porsche America.

Good luck and update us of what you learn.

Old 09-06-2021, 05:23 PM
onemanclique is on a distinguished road
Thanks @dougcayenne

Took it into the dealer and they recharged the AC and all is good now!