Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Front End BANG sound over bumps...Ressurect this plz

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-10-2019, 03:01 PM
Mazurda is an unknown quantity at this point
Front End BANG sound over bumps...Ressurect this plz

I have looked over plenty of older threads and I have an issue that is NOT temperature related like 90% of the posts are. I have 46K on my 2011 PTT, the noise is beyond annoying on passenger side and almost sounds metal to metal, I am addressing the sway bar links based on former Porsche master technicians advice tomorrow since he already confirmed the control arms, bushings, stabilizer, mounts were all good no leaks from hydro bushings. Anyone else fix links and resolve similar issue?

My PTT is Sport Chrono, AWD, PDCC

Any input would be appreciated

Old 07-10-2019, 03:19 PM
Victory007 is on a distinguished road
I had a "thump" issue and, after following the usual trains of thought with no luck, I discovered it was a bad front wheel bearing. Replaced it and haven't had any issues since. Jack it up, grab the front wheel at the 9 and 3, and try to move the wheel in and out. If there is movement it's likely the wheel bearing needs to be replaced.

Old 07-10-2019, 03:23 PM
Originally Posted by Victory007
I had a "thump" issue and, after following the usual trains of thought with no luck, I discovered it was a bad front wheel bearing. Replaced it and haven't had any issues since. Jack it up, grab the front wheel at the 9 and 3, and try to move the wheel in and out. If there is movement it's likely the wheel bearing needs to be replaced.
Typically you would also get a "whining" noise as you increase in speed with a bad bearing, the wheel was check as you suggested and that was deemed fine. Just so many small components that can be the issue. Thank you

Old 07-11-2019, 10:54 AM
cvprez will become famous soon enough
I know at one point my subframe on my old 2010 PTT was loose and needed to be tightened - maybe have them check there while it is up in the air

Old 07-11-2019, 11:02 AM
will do thanks

Old 11-06-2019, 03:48 PM
PanameraTurbo is an unknown quantity at this point
Im having a similar issue when i go over bumps i hear a thump and during cold start having vibration. I'm not sure if i should replace the wheel bearing or the stabilizer bar links or tie rods. so many components can be a factor. I'm going to start with the bearing and stab links and work my way from there. hopefully it isn't a motor mount or anything like that. Let me know what worked for you!

Old 11-07-2019, 09:53 AM
Originally Posted by PanameraTurbo
Im having a similar issue when i go over bumps i hear a thump and during cold start having vibration. I'm not sure if i should replace the wheel bearing or the stabilizer bar links or tie rods. so many components can be a factor. I'm going to start with the bearing and stab links and work my way from there. hopefully it isn't a motor mount or anything like that. Let me know what worked for you!
I do not get cold start vibration, but I would check the torgue mount on top left of engine, most likely that. I replaced stab links, upper and lower arms, wheel bearings and rebuilt struts. I only get the crunching sound when going over bumps when car is cold, not sure if it is subframe tightening or stab bar bushings

Old 11-07-2019, 10:02 AM
FIRST_PORSCHE is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by Mazurda
I do not get cold start vibration, but I would check the torgue mount on top left of engine, most likely that. I replaced stab links, upper and lower arms, wheel bearings and rebuilt struts. I only get the crunching sound when going over bumps when car is cold, not sure if it is subframe tightening or stab bar bushings
You still get that crunch sound even after replacing all those parts? I planned to start my project tomorrow and now I caught a cold so it's going to wait a few days.

Old 11-07-2019, 10:51 AM
Originally Posted by Mazurda

The vibration is very minimal but i do feel it. when i turn the steering wheel during cold start , vibration comes and goes, also get the clunk when pulling out of driveway on sharp turns which had me leaning towards the right bearing since thats the only side which sounds. Which mount were you referring to? the Torque strut mount? not sure which is the torque mount. Thanks

Last edited by PanameraTurbo; 11-07-2019 at 10:58 AM.
Old 11-07-2019, 10:58 AM
FIRST_PORSCHE is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by PanameraTurbo
The vibration is very minimal but i do feel it. when i turn the steering wheel during cold start , vibration comes and goes, also get the clunk when pulling out of driveway on sharp turns which had me leaning towards the right bearing since thats the only side which sounds. Which mount were you referring to? the Engine motor mount? not sure which is the torque mount. Thanks
I believe he's referring to this which is on the left(passenger) upper side in the engine bay: https://www.carid.com/genuine/engine...l?urlId=331408

Old 11-07-2019, 11:26 AM
yes I still get it for the first 10 mins or so of driving

Old 11-07-2019, 11:27 AM
yes that is correct

Old 11-07-2019, 11:28 AM
sounds like your control arms, wheel bearing would get louder as you increase in speed and if you move wheel from left to right wheel at highway speed, certain side would get louder than other

Old 11-07-2019, 12:22 PM
Thank you guys, i will replace that first and foremost. Appreciate the help and prompt responses!