Aston Martin DB7, DB9, DBS, Vantage V8, Vanquish, and Classic models

Buying used with no owners guide and only 1 key

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-17-2019, 10:48 AM
geodavky is an unknown quantity at this point
Buying used with no owners guide and only 1 key

When buying a used Aston 10 or more years old would you put a lot of value or not on receiving the owners guide and or extra keys with the purchase?

Old 06-17-2019, 12:05 PM
davidm17 is on a distinguished road
All depends on the price. Pretty sure you can get a .pdf of the owners manual. If you don't get extra keys then you'll have to buy them separately. I woulnd't not buy a car because it didn't have the manual and extra keys if the condition was good and the price was right. You have to wonder where they went, though.

Old 06-17-2019, 12:34 PM
brightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond repute
Owners manuals can be found on eBay for a like $400 on V8V. A crystal key is like $1300 at the dealer. You'll also need the metal key. Not sure what they go for.

Old 06-17-2019, 01:35 PM
07sportspack will become famous soon enough
The owners guide would/should have maintenance records. But there may be receipts or records of the work done available? Don't be afraid to ask the seller straight up questions. If the car checked all the boxes and is priced right for me a lost key and missing book (both replaceable for $300 to $500 total) would not stand in my way. And yes.... get a second key!! Good luck!

Old 06-17-2019, 09:00 PM
Argus will become famous soon enough
I am going to throw this out and I have basis for this other than a guess. I am wondering if the previous owner kept the manual and key as a keep sake. Just a thought. However you still don't have the book and key.

Old 06-18-2019, 07:17 AM
brightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond repute
I never stamp the owner's manual, but I keep all the receipts from the repairs (mostly from the dealer) that are kept with the car when it switches owners. I'll include in any extra motor oil, sunshade, or spares I may have bought with the car too. Not much use for me once the car is gone. If I lease car, I keep the sunshade...

We had a Volvo S60 and the sunshade that we kept at end of lease fits my friend's Ferrari California just perfect! Lucky him.

Old 06-18-2019, 11:10 AM
gaussianmist is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally Posted by geodavky
When buying a used Aston 10 or more years old would you put a lot of value or not on receiving the owners guide and or extra keys with the purchase?
There are free pdfs of the early DB9 manual available for free (PM me). Also, I have a manual on my Android cell phone which I think I got from Google Play Store, again for free.

Last edited by gaussianmist; 06-18-2019 at 11:13 AM.
Old 06-18-2019, 11:12 AM
Originally Posted by 07sportspack
The owners guide would/should have maintenance records. But there may be receipts or records of the work done available? Don't be afraid to ask the seller straight up questions. If the car checked all the boxes and is priced right for me a lost key and missing book (both replaceable for $300 to $500 total) would not stand in my way. And yes.... get a second key!! Good luck!
I'm interested in a second key for my 2005 DB9. Where can I get one for the $500 total price you mentioned?

Thanks,

Jim

Last edited by gaussianmist; 06-18-2019 at 12:36 PM.
Old 06-18-2019, 11:33 AM
Prefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud of
A few things - If you have a crystal key, you will also need the original key codes - without that it can't be programmed (I recently found that out). I always insist at each service that the owners manual page be filled out, if I don't say anything they don't bother.

Old 06-18-2019, 03:35 PM
07sportspack will become famous soon enough
Sounds like you'll need a metal key (you may want a second FOB) Key blanks are available from the UK for about $100. They in the UK charge another $75 (appox) to cut it to the VIN. Unfortunately, as a friend found out, they ( in the UK) won't cut the key for you as your car is in another country and they can't verify ownership. A US dealer charged him $250 to cut the blank for the car (per the VIN #). I'd check with a couple of US dealers for pricing, including the blank, prior to ordering from the UK and taking the extra steps. If the dealer messes his blank up his responsibility....If he uses your blank and there is a bad cut -?? If you get both the key and FOB it probably will run $500+ with the programing. It's worth a couple of phone calls to find out and develop a relationship with a dealer. I'll PM you 2 contact that might help!

Old 06-18-2019, 08:24 PM
mjanis will become famous soon enough
If you install the Aston Martin App on your phone, it includes the Owners Manual. No need to purchase.

Old 06-19-2019, 07:02 AM
Originally Posted by 07sportspack
Sounds like you'll need a metal key (you may want a second FOB) Key blanks are available from the UK for about $100. They in the UK charge another $75 (appox) to cut it to the VIN. Unfortunately, as a friend found out, they ( in the UK) won't cut the key for you as your car is in another country and they can't verify ownership. A US dealer charged him $250 to cut the blank for the car (per the VIN #). I'd check with a couple of US dealers for pricing, including the blank, prior to ordering from the UK and taking the extra steps. If the dealer messes his blank up his responsibility....If he uses your blank and there is a bad cut -?? If you get both the key and FOB it probably will run $500+ with the programing. It's worth a couple of phone calls to find out and develop a relationship with a dealer. I'll PM you 2 contact that might help!
Thank you, Sir.

Old 06-28-2019, 08:43 PM
dcarrer0 has much to be proud ofdcarrer0 has much to be proud ofdcarrer0 has much to be proud ofdcarrer0 has much to be proud ofdcarrer0 has much to be proud ofdcarrer0 has much to be proud ofdcarrer0 has much to be proud ofdcarrer0 has much to be proud of
Skeleton key

I purchased the metal skeleton key last week from Motor Cars of Atlanta for my 14 V8V. Ask for Daniel. Super service! Took a week to order, cut, & receive. Very cool key but $305. Definitely need one in case your battery dies in your fob.