Tuning/Modifications
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Supersprint

KA - In Memory of my Mom (Vincee) and best friend Michael J. Maring

Old 09-19-2003, 05:58 AM
cjv
cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !
The power game

It is really interesting how the 996tt motor has progressed. Two years ago 500 hp was somewhat of a benchmark. Then about a year and a half ago the bar was 600 hp. About six months later Gemballa, Autothority, S Car Go and Protomotive pushed it to 700 hp and now EVO and the Ruf Godzilla appear to be there also. The new frontier appears to by 800 hp with Gemballa and S Car Go Racing.

Two years ago these numbers didn't appear possible for the 3.6L Porsche motor driven on the street. I can't help but wonder when the 900 or 1000 hp motor will appear.

Last edited by cjv; 09-19-2003 at 06:01 AM.
Old 09-19-2003, 06:01 AM
Autobahn is a splendid one to beholdAutobahn is a splendid one to beholdAutobahn is a splendid one to beholdAutobahn is a splendid one to beholdAutobahn is a splendid one to beholdAutobahn is a splendid one to beholdAutobahn is a splendid one to behold
Re: The power game

Originally posted by cjv
...I can't help but wonder when the 900 or 1000 hp motor will appear.
You tell us. I thought you were working on a new 'monster' engine.

Old 09-19-2003, 06:10 AM
cjv
cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !
Autobahn,

Working on and achieving are two different things. Obsticles arise in the least expected places. My current obsticle relates to the ECU.

None the less. When introduced, this little 220 cubic inch (3.6L) turbo motor was a street marvel. It is amazing the heights to which it has been taken.

Last edited by cjv; 09-19-2003 at 06:45 AM.
Old 09-19-2003, 08:09 AM
Basic Sponsor
Evolution MotorSports Is a GOD !Evolution MotorSports Is a GOD !Evolution MotorSports Is a GOD !Evolution MotorSports Is a GOD !Evolution MotorSports Is a GOD !Evolution MotorSports Is a GOD !Evolution MotorSports Is a GOD !Evolution MotorSports Is a GOD !Evolution MotorSports Is a GOD !Evolution MotorSports Is a GOD !Evolution MotorSports Is a GOD !
The 900HP mark has already happened a long time ago. There have been many tuners that have built 3.6L porsche motors well in excess of 900 HP. I built a 3.6L twin turbo motor over 5 years ago that put down 890 RWHP.

F: 480.317.9901
E: info@evoms.com
Home of the Worlds Fastest 997TT Porsche(s)
997TT Standing Mile = 234.6 MPH
997TT Standing 1/2 Mile = 217.09 MPH
Fastest 1/4 Mile = 9.29 @ 172.7 MPH
60-130 MPH Time = 3.28 Seconds
Old 09-19-2003, 09:53 AM
LSM
LSM is a glorious beacon of lightLSM is a glorious beacon of lightLSM is a glorious beacon of lightLSM is a glorious beacon of lightLSM is a glorious beacon of lightLSM is a glorious beacon of light
Originally posted by Todd @ EVO
The 900HP mark has already happened a long time ago. There have been many tuners that have built 3.6L porsche motors well in excess of 900 HP. I built a 3.6L twin turbo motor over 5 years ago that put down 890 RWHP.
890 What happened to that motor? Did you ever run it?

-Lou

Old 09-19-2003, 10:16 AM
PorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond repute
I still have one running around at 740RWHP. It has been 2 years and on the tracks.

Old 09-19-2003, 10:27 AM
LSM
LSM is a glorious beacon of lightLSM is a glorious beacon of lightLSM is a glorious beacon of lightLSM is a glorious beacon of lightLSM is a glorious beacon of lightLSM is a glorious beacon of light
Originally posted by PorschePhD
I still have one running around at 740RWHP. It has been 2 years and on the tracks.

How did you get that much HP? What is the conversion when taking into account drivetrain loss? Have you ever tested the car..1/4 mile, etc.

-Lou

Old 09-19-2003, 10:53 AM
Porsche Fiend
Hamann7 will become famous soon enoughHamann7 will become famous soon enough
Wilber and I have a new motor in the works too

Old 09-19-2003, 11:25 AM
sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !
Me too, I'm going single turbo supra motor-swap Gonna put down 1000rwhp... Oh and this way I would be able to dyno.

Old 09-19-2003, 12:21 PM
Duane has much to be proud ofDuane has much to be proud ofDuane has much to be proud ofDuane has much to be proud ofDuane has much to be proud ofDuane has much to be proud ofDuane has much to be proud ofDuane has much to be proud ofDuane has much to be proud of

Old 09-19-2003, 01:03 PM
aracerx is on a distinguished road
power play

Achieving 800 plus horsepower from a production engine in a production Porsche chassis is simply impossible.
We build 3.4-3.6 liter 962 engines in sprint/endurance configurations and have yet to see those numbers in an engine that stays together. No ECU alteration, turbo swap, exhaust?intercooler arrangement will make it happen(bolt on items).
Without question, the 996 Turbo will be helped in pumping iron by these aforementioned items, but adding 400HP from them, PLEASE. Logic by the readers of this forum MUST prevail. IF a cup engine (the base from which the 996 turbo is derived) must be overhauled in 50? hours and it makes "only" 400 hp, how can comments be made as in "it has run for three years at the track and makes 900 hp!
All the items we market to sell to the 996 turbo owners help, they just don't help THAT MUCH, as in an additional 4-500 hp!
REALITY MUST HAVE A CHECK AT SOME POINT.
Don't expect much of a reply..AND I'm not the enemy....I really answer to my clients and no one else. Just tone it down a bit. so when I hear those numbers from now on I'll just

Old 09-19-2003, 04:48 PM
cjv
Stephen and Todd,

I really want to hear more about this 996tt motor that you build with 900 hp. Or are you confusing an air cooled motor with the water cooled one?

Old 09-19-2003, 04:57 PM
cjv
aracerex,

I have pulled 681 rwhp on a 996tt motor. No, it is not an endurance motor. I realize a race motor that is pushed is only good for 30-50 hours. I must also say my car is a street car and is pushed less than 5% of the time. I have 6000 street miles on the motor now. My motor will push 614 rwhp without the aid of CO2 intercooling or N2O. It pulls 631 with the liquid CO2 and 681 rwhp with the liquid CO2 and 75 shot N2O.

Old 09-19-2003, 05:04 PM
racer63 is on a distinguished road
Re: power play

Originally posted by aracerx
Achieving 800 plus horsepower from a production engine in a production Porsche chassis is simply impossible.
We build 3.4-3.6 liter 962 engines in sprint/endurance configurations and have yet to see those numbers in an engine that stays together.
When I had my car dynoed at Technodyne, there was a sign on the wall that said "the only way to get a free dyno run is to put down more HP than this car". That car, a turbo Supra, put down some 900+ (maybe it was high 800s?) RWHP. If a 3.0 liter Supra can do it, so can a 3.6 liter 996.

As to whether or not it will last, well, that's a matter of perspective. John Force is pleased when his engines last a 1/4 mile. While I'm pleased if my street (race) engines last 50K miles (100 hours).

My bet is that those who want the 800-1000 HP engine actually don't care much if it stays together for more than a handful of 1/4 mile runs spread out over 5000 or so street driven miles.

All of the above notwithstanding, engine builders who offer such cars need to be very careful to educate their customers so they don't think that you can take that type car to a DE and expect it to last. (Unfortunately, neither driver skill nor common sense is required to own a Porsche... only a large bank account or fat paycheck...)

Just my $0.02 and your mileage may vary.

Last edited by racer63; 09-19-2003 at 05:11 PM.
Old 09-19-2003, 05:05 PM
SHANKENFELTER has much to be proud ofSHANKENFELTER has much to be proud ofSHANKENFELTER has much to be proud ofSHANKENFELTER has much to be proud ofSHANKENFELTER has much to be proud ofSHANKENFELTER has much to be proud ofSHANKENFELTER has much to be proud ofSHANKENFELTER has much to be proud ofSHANKENFELTER has much to be proud ofSHANKENFELTER has much to be proud of
Re: power play

Originally posted by aracerx
We build 3.4-3.6 liter 962 engines in sprint/endurance configurations and have yet to see those numbers in an engine that stays together. No ECU alteration, turbo swap, exhaust?intercooler arrangement will make it happen(bolt on items).
Without question, the 996 Turbo will be helped in pumping iron by these aforementioned items, but adding 400HP from them, PLEASE. Logic by the readers of this forum MUST prevail. IF a cup engine (the base from which the 996 turbo is derived) must be overhauled in 50? hours and it makes "only" 400 hp, how can comments be made as in "it has run for three years at the track and makes 900 hp!
All the items we market to sell to the 996 turbo owners help, they just don't help THAT MUCH, as in an additional 4-500 hp!
REALITY MUST HAVE A CHECK AT SOME POINT.
Don't expect much of a reply..AND I'm not the enemy....I really answer to my clients and no one else. Just tone it down a bit. so when I hear those numbers from now on I'll just
They said the same thing about the Current Year Supras back in the 90's. However, years after the Supra went out of the US Market, tuners have achieved this plus more HP. Reality must have a check at some point, but it will take more time and I beileve 800Plus HP is acheivable. A friend of mine just put down 865RWHP on his supra, with stock block/heads.

Search this Thread
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:
You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 90 votes, 4.16 average.

Quick Reply: KA - In Memory of my Mom (Vincee) and best friend Michael J. Maring