Tuning/Modifications
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Supersprint

KA - In Memory of my Mom (Vincee) and best friend Michael J. Maring

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 90 votes, 4.16 average.

Old 09-19-2003, 06:37 PM
cjv
cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !
Hey shank, I still have those tips for you.

Old 09-19-2003, 06:41 PM
cjv
cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !
Hamann,

I didn't know you and Wilber were building a monster motor. I would have never told Wilber (the other night) where I got my 102mm turbo pistons and liners until after our shootout.

Old 09-19-2003, 07:17 PM
HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !
Originally posted by wilber
Hi CJV
Thanks for the INFO on where to buy the pistons.
Me and hamann are going to build the motor after the shoot out.
we don't know we should build a 3.8 or 4.0 what do you think?

Get that 4.3L block Konstantain has been talking about forever that they are selling over in Germany. That would be :****:!

Old 09-19-2003, 07:57 PM
PorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond repute
No, I am not confusing the 996 motor for the older air-cooled motors. I never stated this was on the 996 motor. You stated " these numbers didn't appear possible for the 3.6L Porsche motor driven on the street" The 3.6 foot print has been the base for many high HP motors. We have been making big HP out of these bases for a while. The 996TT motor is open to as much HP as any of the motors I have built in the past. It takes a TON of work to make something hold together for any length of time. Everything has been done from shuffle pin to custom sealing rings to the heads and beyond. You also will not make it on a displacement of 3.6. It takes bigger than that. The funny thing that no one has brought up that will be a concern eventually for a 900-1000HP motor is the intake. This is an issue that only those that have pushed these marks will know. Street cars are different than track cars and the stop and go use will allow for much longer use. One shoe doesn't fit all.

Lou, try 10.2s. The cars are not so drivable on the street. We call them street cars, but driveablity is a difficult task. The older chassis are very **** end happy and very unstable with this kind of power.You think snap oversteer is aproblem in the old cars try crazy HP. Also while the tranny can be made to hold this kind of power things such as stub axels and shafts are a real problem. It took me nearly 6 months to come up with something that would not shatter when I left the hole. The clutch... well it is pretty bad when ceramic and Kevlar don't hold up. All this stuff adds up to a car that is not so happy when driven every day. Driving these cars to the store, work, etc become a job not a fun spin around the block. At some point practical street crosses the threshold. It wouldn't be anything for me to create another one of these motors on the 996TT print, but for ME it isn't practical. I like my car and the last time I said that and I built my self something crazy I missed the ability to throw my son (only had one at the time) and go to work etc.

Old 09-19-2003, 08:07 PM
HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !
Re: Re: power play

Originally posted by racer63
When I had my car dynoed at Technodyne, there was a sign on the wall that said "the only way to get a free dyno run is to put down more HP than this car". That car, a turbo Supra, put down some 900+ (maybe it was high 800s?) RWHP. If a 3.0 liter Supra can do it, so can a 3.6 liter 996.

The supra is also an inline 6.

the Inline 6 cylinder, is about as smooth and vibration free design as possible, only extremely well engineered V8s and of course V12s ( two inlines sixes ) are smoother.
Inline design allows easier piping of intake and exhaust as well as cross-flow heads especially for turbo applications.

as far as the supra goes Forged crank, rods, pistons.
6-bolt cross bolted main bearin caps
7 main bearing caps ( much stronger and stable, less crank flex, less chance of throwing a rod ). Under piston oil squirters, cools the pistons better
Low resistance high flow true sequential fuel injectors ( most cars use batch injection) .square 82mmx82mm bore/stroke ( not sure exact specs ) allow engine to make decent torque yet rev quickly. Unless you engine has ALL of these things, it's not going to be as reliable under boost as the 2JZ-GTE.

Old 09-19-2003, 08:56 PM
cjv
Stephen,

I believe this is a 996tt and GT2 board. I didn't think I had to expound on that. Next time I will so it doesn't go off topic.

Old 09-19-2003, 09:18 PM
MKW
MKW is on a distinguished road
Originally posted by cjv
Stephen,

I believe this is a 996tt and GT2 board. ....
I disagree . Some topics on this board are sounding more like Viper boards a few years ago as HP creeped up to 1000 hp. At least they battled it out at the drag strip, not the dynostrip . I came back to 911s and balanced SPORTSCARS in 1999 after I tired of the hp/dragstrip obsession of the Corvette/Viper world.

Old 09-19-2003, 09:27 PM
cjv
MKW,

Comparing air cooled to water cooled motors in my way of thinking is like comparing apples and oranges.

Most people on the board are aware of how far the air cooled motors have gone. Not so with the water cooled motors. My way of thinking if I wanted to talk about the 3.6L air motor I would go to the 993 turbo board.

Old 09-19-2003, 09:33 PM
PorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond repute
Interesting theory Chad. Question, for as many parts that you know are different than the air-cooled motors do you know how many are the same, or the same with 996 part numbers or are changed only for a mounting location or stud? I do. It does apply because some of the simple fundamentals that stop the 993TT from making the power you are mentioning will stop the 996TT.

Old 09-19-2003, 09:46 PM
cjv
Stephen,

No, I do not know that answer. I do know one simple fact. Heat is one major factor that leads to detonation. Is the cooling ability of the air motor equal or better to the water cooled motor?

Old 09-19-2003, 09:52 PM
The water based 3.6L is outstanding and is easier to make HP, however the 3.6 ACTT setup is easy to push HARD. The sealing surface and combustion strike is out of the way, the design in general while old, was workable. The heat is not as big as a factor when the motors are built right. Don't get me wrong, it takes more work then the 996TT, however no less then you have cut the way with. There are so many things that are different, yet so many that are truly the same. The issue with the 993TT making power was never the heat as it was flow. Things such as coatings, twin plug etc all helped us hit the goal. As far as the chassis, the 996TT wins over and over hands down...Sorry off topic with the chassis comment

Old 09-19-2003, 09:55 PM
cjv
I guess we can agree on somethings.

Old 09-19-2003, 10:13 PM
Porsche Fiend
Hamann7 will become famous soon enoughHamann7 will become famous soon enough
Although I could build a motor to go 900 or 1000hp, that is not the end goal of building a monster motor.

My objective is to make the power curve a bit different and make the motor even more bulletproof.

Chad, I'll give you a call over the weekend, sorry I missed you this afternoon.

Old 09-19-2003, 10:14 PM
Word to the wise gang, not all lag is a bad thing It is all about power under the curve

Old 09-19-2003, 10:21 PM
YSITSMN is on a distinguished road
You might s well jump in to the Nissan Skyline I belive that HKS, and BLitzs have already put down well over 1000-1200 Hp those are the real monsters on the Dyno. There Is one other Company that has run on the track and on the dtno and I thought he ran a high 6 -low 7 sec 1/4 and put down just over 1200 Hp in japan.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 90 votes, 4.16 average.

Quick Reply: KA - In Memory of my Mom (Vincee) and best friend Michael J. Maring