Tuning/Modifications
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Supersprint

KA - In Memory of my Mom (Vincee) and best friend Michael J. Maring

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 90 votes, 4.16 average.

Old 10-26-2003, 01:11 PM
buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !
Chad,

I am certainly hoping that GIAC will be done with my car by Tuesday, then Todd at EVO needs the car for a couple of days. So realistically the car SHOULD (hopfully, crossing my fingers you never know with these tuners) be ready in about 1 week. Since my car is already out in California/Arizona we should try to put something together in the next 2 to 3 weeks. I could just leave my car out there and fly out.

Let me know if this is feasible with Hammann and everyone else, if we can get a road course and drag strip rented, etc...

My car is all about ME I really don't car if it is the biggest or the baddest. But I do think it would be fun to get all these high hp cars together to see what others have done, meet the owners and just hang out!!

Let me know boys, once my car leaves the West Coast it won't be coming back for a while.

Old 10-26-2003, 01:12 PM
cjv
cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !
Dean,

No reason to be sorry. Everyone is entitled to their own opinion.

Old 10-26-2003, 01:28 PM
cjv
cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !
buddy,

That would be alot of fun. We would need to have a firm time period to get a track and/or strip. Reason being we would have to hope for a clear date on the track's calender(s) and a deposit would have to be sent. Once you know for sure, let me know and I will see what I can do. Thunder Hill is $2,500. The strip cost will vary by the day used, $20. per car and up depending. I can get the RPM Tuning and Machne dyno for $150. per car and S Car Go would pull and replace driveshafts at no charge for us.

As a side note, I have been waiting to see what Sharky comes up with. If that does not pan out I was going to rent the track/strip sometime in early spring. Place an open invitation to all and divide the costs amoung the participants. We would have full control and if a magazine wanted to cover great. If not, that's OK also.

Old 10-26-2003, 08:09 PM
cjv
sticky,

My cost for the rods was $2,800. It is a 40-60 hour job depending if the case has to be split due to clearance around the oil pump. These rods are going into the first motor. We are splitting the case because we are also going to knife edge the crank and replace the stock single stage oil pump with the GT3 dual stage oil pump. The purpose of these rods is not to add any more power. The current 800+ hp is enough for this motor. We hope to add longevity, the rpm's will accelerate faster and the rev limiter will be set at 7400 rpm's. The rods are actually rated for 8500 rpm's, however the valve train is not.

Last edited by cjv; 10-26-2003 at 08:26 PM.
Old 10-27-2003, 09:30 AM
Porsche Fiend
Hamann7 will become famous soon enoughHamann7 will become famous soon enough
chad, how do the Ruf rods compare to Carrillo rods?

Old 10-27-2003, 02:53 PM
cjv
Hamann,

The Carrillo rods are heavier and stronger. The Ruf rods are alot lighter, won't take as much hp as the Carrillo's, will rev and accelerate far quicker, will take 8100+ rpm's. I have used Carrillo's on my second motor because it is makes alot more power. The Ruf's should be just fine on this motor, if anything they will be understressed at 7400 rpm's.

Old 10-31-2003, 06:20 PM
cjv
Great front brake cooling idea, and it works.

The other day while at S Car Go Racing, there was a GT3 up on the rack. I couldn't help but notice the plastic air scoop mounted on the suspension arm of each front wheel. The 996tt has them, however very different from the ones used one the new GT3. The GT3 scoop is much larger and directs the cool air directly on the side of the rotor.

I had S Car Go order two and install them. They worked extremely well. They make a very big difference. Probably the cheapest and best improvement available for the 996tt braking system.

Last edited by cjv; 10-31-2003 at 06:22 PM.
Old 10-31-2003, 06:46 PM
Garey Cooper is on a distinguished road
Brake Cooling Idea

Chad; do you have the part numbers for the GT-3 Cooling deflectors? I am a little surprised that PCNA had them in stock for ordering so quickly!

Old 10-31-2003, 06:52 PM
cjv
Garey,

I will get the part numbers from Rob tomorrow. It took about a week for Sonnen Porsche to get them.

Last edited by cjv; 10-31-2003 at 06:54 PM.
Old 11-02-2003, 04:59 PM
cjv
The last dyno run had some good news and some bad news. The good news was we made a consistent (three back to back runs) 626 rwhp without using the liquid CO2 or Nitrous. The bad news was the afr's were too lean. That is we could not get enough fuel to the motor after 6000 rpm's (fuel pressure/capacity is fine, injector capacity is the problem). This is a direct result of the 90 mm S Car Go Racing throttle body and splitter. The motor is taking more air but the stock injectors can't deliver any more fuel. We are currrently waiting for the larger injectors from RC Engineering. We have been told they will arrive within the next thirty days. The silver lining around this cloud is this. When the injectors are installed, we will be adding more fuel, more fuel makes more power. It will be interesting where this finally ends. After the larger injectors are installed, the weak link will be the hot side turbo's.

Last edited by cjv; 11-02-2003 at 05:03 PM.
Old 11-03-2003, 11:22 AM
GT-3 Brake Cooling Flaps

Thanks Chad, I'm going to call the dealer and try a set myself!

Old 11-04-2003, 04:13 PM
They're on order

Okay; mine are on order. The service desk person at the dealership I ordered them from found them soon enough in the microfiche but of course they were not in local stock. He didn't have any guesses on the delivery time but said if they are in the PCNA warehouse in Ontario they would only be a couple of days out. We'll see!

Thank you once again Chad.....

Old 11-04-2003, 07:09 PM
john stephanus is on a distinguished road
Have you guys tested the temps you are running with your brakes to make sure that you are not creating too much cooling for your intended usage?

Old 11-04-2003, 07:14 PM
cjv
Garey,

It took me seven days to receive mine. I hope to have them installed tomorrow. I asked Rob to take pics of the car with the stock turbo units and then with the GT3 parts. I will post the pics as soon as I receive them.

Old 11-09-2003, 10:14 AM
caneaddict is a jewel in the roughcaneaddict is a jewel in the roughcaneaddict is a jewel in the roughcaneaddict is a jewel in the rough
Hey Chad,
You originally said that you would start putting in the new engine in December. Since it now looks like the car will be at S Car Go until then anyway, why not start putting in the engine now?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 90 votes, 4.16 average.

Quick Reply: KA - In Memory of my Mom (Vincee) and best friend Michael J. Maring