Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cracked rims repairment?:(

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-15-2011, 11:58 AM
ezzet is on a distinguished road
Cracked rims repairment?:(

Hello, I am new on the forum, i registered because i have a real big problem, one of my 22'' rims got cracked due to a pothole on the street. They go on a Range Rover Sport Supercharged
Here Is The Picture

http://img257.imageshack.us/i/img00260201102141525.jpg
Now the real problem here is that I am being encouraged by a friend to fix it instead of buying a new one which would be way more expensive
... The repairment consists of some screws and welding on the interior of the rim

So what do you think? I know for sure that is gonna look good as new
but is it gonna be safe? what about when going at high velocities?
Thanks for your help

Last edited by ezzet; 02-15-2011 at 12:02 PM.
Old 02-15-2011, 12:11 PM
Sorry I wish i could but I'm currently in Beirut, Lebanon. Just want to know if its safe to do the repairment or it's better to just get the new ones.

i don't want to be going at 200km/h on a highway and see one of my rims breaking into dust...just imagine what would happen.

Old 02-15-2011, 12:11 PM
djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !
time for new rims. it looks like a structural failure. repair on wheels do weaken the rims. given this failure, other rims may be at risk too. did you hit something? if you didn't, maybe the wheel manufacturer would replace it? otherwise, i would get a new one or better yet a new set.

Old 02-15-2011, 12:18 PM
my sister was driving when it happened. She must have hit a pot hole or something like that. But the problem is here in Lebanon, if I want to replace this wheel, i would have to buy all four again (there is not official manufacturer for these wheels here so they just sell the whole set or nothing)... So it's kinda problem
I can either repair it
or buy the new 4 for a 1200$ (This price giving the seller my old rims)
What do you think i should do?

Edit: also i wanted to ask. Is it possible that the rinspeeds the guy is offering me are actually fake? I don't know if they make this kind of rims in china (Rinspeed 22") but if they do. they would just brake again so i wanted to know if this is a possibility

Last edited by ezzet; 02-15-2011 at 12:55 PM.
Old 02-20-2011, 09:49 AM
jmc777 is on a distinguished road
Sounds like your options are limited, but I would never trust a wheel after that type of repair.

Old 02-20-2011, 10:35 AM
djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !
get a new set. dont know what kind of car you have but you may consider a smaller wheel. 22 is a bit too low profile if you drive on bad roads a lot.

the wheel should have manufacturer stamped on it. if it doesn't, i would be suspicious.

Old 02-21-2011, 03:06 PM
Tech1_Mike has a reputation beyond reputeTech1_Mike has a reputation beyond reputeTech1_Mike has a reputation beyond reputeTech1_Mike has a reputation beyond reputeTech1_Mike has a reputation beyond reputeTech1_Mike has a reputation beyond reputeTech1_Mike has a reputation beyond reputeTech1_Mike has a reputation beyond reputeTech1_Mike has a reputation beyond reputeTech1_Mike has a reputation beyond reputeTech1_Mike has a reputation beyond repute
Don't even THINK of trying to fix this wheel.
This is a catastrophic structural failure. Get a new one.

Old 02-22-2011, 09:40 AM
NickZag is on a distinguished road
I have to agree with what everyone else said. I'd replace it. You can't put a price on safety, and even if it could be repaired it wouldn't hold up long.