991 Turbo or 991 GT3??

Old 07-01-2013, 02:53 AM
Naish is on a distinguished road
GT3 :inlove:

Old 07-01-2013, 04:19 AM
Crea is a jewel in the roughCrea is a jewel in the roughCrea is a jewel in the roughCrea is a jewel in the rough
GT3...but I'm waiting for the GT3RS

Old 07-01-2013, 06:18 AM
JonnybravoM3 has a spectacular aura aboutJonnybravoM3 has a spectacular aura aboutJonnybravoM3 has a spectacular aura about
Hi all

New member here - this is my first post. Interesting thread - the exact same thing has been going through my mind since they released images of these cars!

I am planning on buying a 991TT or GT3 and have never been so confused! I want something comfortable as a DD that I can also track at times (guessing the Turbo fits in here). Have been a passenger in the 997.2 GT3 and RS on the track and loved the sound/performance but they felt a little underpowered on the straights. Is there anything wrong with tracking the Turbo generally? Does it not hold its own?

Have always wanted a turbo since the 964 days and have just been waiting for the opportunity to jump on one but I do seriously love this aero kit on the 991 GT3 + the racing seats/seat-belts + alcantara options + exhaust note (wonder if these are available for the turbo or not!?!).

Reading this thread though it seems most would prefer the GT3 without giving it a second thought.

Old 07-10-2013, 11:39 AM
spoolin51 is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by Crea
GT3...but I'm waiting for the GT3RS
its gonna be killer

Old 07-23-2013, 02:52 AM
ilhan997 can only hope to improve
Old 07-23-2013, 03:06 AM
layinback Is a GOD !layinback Is a GOD !layinback Is a GOD !layinback Is a GOD !layinback Is a GOD !layinback Is a GOD !layinback Is a GOD !layinback Is a GOD !layinback Is a GOD !layinback Is a GOD !layinback Is a GOD !
If you are going to track GT3

If not, 991

Then again, I'd wait and let Porsche work out the kinks and improve a year or 2.

Then I would buy used with a few thousand miles. Let someone else take the

depreciation hit. It's a used car as soon as you pull off the lot.

Old 07-23-2013, 12:28 PM
Darth GF is on a distinguished road
I've been instructing with BMWCCA for several years, it's quite amazing to me how people all rave about the GT3 (for good reasons) but so few can actually use the performance of that car.

I understand most people just want the "best" track car and obviously, the GT3 is the more track oriented car. But few people can actually use it to its full potential. It's not a matter of what car is best for the track, but a matter of what car will be best for the owner.

The Turbo with its awd system, softer suspension and street tires is much easier to drive for most drivers. It is also a lot faster. But then, it becomes a whole freaking lot faster under bad conditions (rain, dust, cold) and to top it all, is much easier to drive.

So what car is best, I'd say for most, the turbo is the best car. Obviously, many will prefer to have Porche's "best track car" no matter if it is not the best choice for them.

I've driven the red group full of Porsche club instructor and many of them had GT3 and GT3RS, and I'd say many of them would have been faster in a Turbo.

Now, I understand that many are not that interested in lap times but just enjoying the car. Then there's nothing wrong with the GT3. I believe the GT3 is much fun to drive. Though, I didn't drive the new 991, I'd guess it will remain true for that generation as well. But don't kid yourself into thinking that the Turbo ain't fun to drive. It is. Though not as much.

So all this ramble leads me to this conclusion, don't lie to yourself. If you're not a very adavanced driver, chances are you'll be much faster and safer in the Turbo. If you don't track the car regularly, you're definitely compromising a lot on the street to have a GT3 over a Turbo. But if you prefer the GT3 for aesthetic reasons or whatever, then that's not a bad choice at all.

Old 07-24-2013, 03:03 AM
Dlff is a jewel in the roughDlff is a jewel in the roughDlff is a jewel in the rough
The time is near for both the GT3 & Turbo models to be available to the public. Having read some reviews on the GT3 by British car mags notably - Autocar & Evo I think.
The conclusion is that the 991 GT3 rides better than the previous gen GT3 under road conditions. So Porsche has somewhat made this car more road orientated. If you want no compromise track weapon the GT3 RS would be the choice.
There is still no review yet on the 991 Turbo as of now but it will be soon since the car will be on sale soon in September.
IMHO, if no tracking is involved, I will go for the Turbo S hands down.
Simply because it has 2 rear seats no matter how impractical there are & more luxury equipments to choose from. I don't track so the GT3 is not that ideal for me. As far as on road acceleration is concerned, the Turbo would be more practical & you can to use the power more easily. Maximum torque comes in at a relatively low rpm & you don't have to rev the car to max to wring in the last drop of available power. Also the Turbo is not so much in the face. Is a more discreet car if you opt for just the "911" badge at the rear at no optional charge. The only problem I can see is that the car maybe a bit on wide side especially at the rear. My conclusion maybe a bit premature as there is no review yet on the Turbo but that is just my opinion.

Old 07-24-2013, 01:21 PM
Darth GF is on a distinguished road
Another reason why Turbo>GT3

I'd like to see a GT3 owner's face as he passes by...

Old 07-27-2013, 11:44 PM
Dark Knight is just really niceDark Knight is just really niceDark Knight is just really niceDark Knight is just really niceDark Knight is just really nice
Originally Posted by Darth GF
I'd like to see a GT3 owner's face as he passes by...

simple make the girls sit on each others lap, or your lap

Old 08-08-2013, 04:12 PM
Porsche997TT is a splendid one to beholdPorsche997TT is a splendid one to beholdPorsche997TT is a splendid one to beholdPorsche997TT is a splendid one to beholdPorsche997TT is a splendid one to beholdPorsche997TT is a splendid one to beholdPorsche997TT is a splendid one to beholdPorsche997TT is a splendid one to behold
Meraba OP

I would go GT3. my .02

Old 08-08-2013, 05:00 PM
oiltycoon is on a distinguished road
gt3!!

Old 08-08-2013, 06:47 PM
RingMeister01 will become famous soon enough
Originally Posted by Darth GF
I've been instructing with BMWCCA for several years, it's quite amazing to me how people all rave about the GT3 (for good reasons) but so few can actually use the performance of that car.

I understand most people just want the "best" track car and obviously, the GT3 is the more track oriented car. But few people can actually use it to its full potential. It's not a matter of what car is best for the track, but a matter of what car will be best for the owner.

The Turbo with its awd system, softer suspension and street tires is much easier to drive for most drivers. It is also a lot faster. But then, it becomes a whole freaking lot faster under bad conditions (rain, dust, cold) and to top it all, is much easier to drive.

So what car is best, I'd say for most, the turbo is the best car. Obviously, many will prefer to have Porche's "best track car" no matter if it is not the best choice for them.

I've driven the red group full of Porsche club instructor and many of them had GT3 and GT3RS, and I'd say many of them would have been faster in a Turbo.

Now, I understand that many are not that interested in lap times but just enjoying the car. Then there's nothing wrong with the GT3. I believe the GT3 is much fun to drive. Though, I didn't drive the new 991, I'd guess it will remain true for that generation as well. But don't kid yourself into thinking that the Turbo ain't fun to drive. It is. Though not as much.

So all this ramble leads me to this conclusion, don't lie to yourself. If you're not a very adavanced driver, chances are you'll be much faster and safer in the Turbo. If you don't track the car regularly, you're definitely compromising a lot on the street to have a GT3 over a Turbo. But if you prefer the GT3 for aesthetic reasons or whatever, then that's not a bad choice at all.
The most relevant, accurate and truthful response. Winner!

Last edited by RingMeister01; 08-08-2013 at 06:50 PM.
Old 08-09-2013, 10:06 PM
mhh
mhh will become famous soon enoughmhh will become famous soon enough
Originally Posted by RingMeister01
The most relevant, accurate and truthful response. Winner!

Except that no-one has yet driven the 991 versions of both. These comment were certainly relevant to the 997 but the completely new platform in the 991 (and the PDK) means that all bets are off.

Old 08-11-2013, 09:34 AM
Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by JimGT3
I'm currently debating an '11 GT2RS or the '14 GT3. What do you guys think?
I have a 991 GT3 on order, but I'd take a GT2 RS over one in a heartbeat. No question.

Search this Thread
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:
You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: 991 Turbo or 991 GT3??