996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Porsche in Best Motoring Video

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-17-2004, 11:47 AM
Banned
allanlambo is infamous around these parts
Porsche in Best Motoring Video

I got the video today, and it is really fun to watch. The Porsche indeed was a Tiptronic, but it was a Turbo S. It also had Gt2 brakes, and ARP coilovers. Even though the Bmw CSL could not pass the Porsche on the track, it did post a better lap time. They noted that for this track, the TIptronic was very well suited for.

The Murcielagos fastest lap was over 5 seconds faster than the Porsches. On the Murcielago, they note that the driver took it easy for most of the time, then got into it, due to the tires not being suitable for the track. Driver of the Murcielago was also a first timer for Best Motoring. The 360 driver is also the driver of the JGTC 360 .

Great video to watch.

Old 08-17-2004, 12:09 PM
Code Red is a splendid one to beholdCode Red is a splendid one to beholdCode Red is a splendid one to beholdCode Red is a splendid one to beholdCode Red is a splendid one to beholdCode Red is a splendid one to beholdCode Red is a splendid one to beholdCode Red is a splendid one to behold
your synopsis is as always myoptic.

Old 08-17-2004, 10:14 PM
Pioneer Member
Scott in H-town has a reputation beyond reputeScott in H-town has a reputation beyond reputeScott in H-town has a reputation beyond reputeScott in H-town has a reputation beyond reputeScott in H-town has a reputation beyond reputeScott in H-town has a reputation beyond reputeScott in H-town has a reputation beyond reputeScott in H-town has a reputation beyond reputeScott in H-town has a reputation beyond reputeScott in H-town has a reputation beyond reputeScott in H-town has a reputation beyond repute
Now Code Red... don't use words like that. Allan won't understand.

I like this: "They noted that for this track, the TIptronic was very well suited for."

HAHAHA WTF? A track that is good for a tiptronic? BWAHAHAHA Hilarious
What kind of track is better for a tiptronic? Just curious? lol (that's a rhetorical question)... oops, there I go using big words that will confuse him...

Old 08-18-2004, 01:45 AM
996turbo is infamous around these parts
A properly tuned turbo will outrun and outlast a Murcielago anyday. How many lambo's do you see racing in any series? Why not....?? Becuase Lambo's are not made for racing. They are just cool bling cars...that's it.

Old 08-18-2004, 01:57 AM
ZAMIRZ has much to be proud ofZAMIRZ has much to be proud ofZAMIRZ has much to be proud ofZAMIRZ has much to be proud ofZAMIRZ has much to be proud ofZAMIRZ has much to be proud ofZAMIRZ has much to be proud ofZAMIRZ has much to be proud ofZAMIRZ has much to be proud of
It was not a Turbo S Allan.

Old 08-18-2004, 02:51 AM
Banned
In the description of the car, it specificly said TURBO S, with ARP coilovers and Gt2 brakes.

As for a tiptronic being suited for the track, well i dont know, im not familiar with it, i assume it works the same way as an F1 tranny on the 360. Dont get your panties ruffled that an M3 posted better lap times.

As for the Murcielago not being a race car, it has recently debuted As a race car, and has been doing very well for a brand new car and new team, with several top 3 finishes.

As for the Murcielago not being a race car,

Old 08-18-2004, 02:58 AM
996turbo is infamous around these parts
Originally posted by allanlambo
As for a tiptronic being suited for the track, well i dont know, im not familiar with it, i assume it works the same way as an F1 tranny on the 360. Dont get your panties ruffled that an M3 posted better lap times.

As for the Murcielago not being a race car, it has recently debuted As a race car, and has been doing very well for a brand new car and new team, with several top 3 finishes.

As for the Murcielago not being a race car,
Really??....Just watch the American Le Mans series. The GT3R and RSR's dominate the racing M3's and 360's.

Attached Images  
Old 08-18-2004, 02:59 AM
Fanman is infamous around these parts
Allan,

The hp rating was 420 hp, it was not a Turbo S. I have the DVD too. It was a "regular" turbo with GT2 brakes and APR coilovers added to it.

Old 08-18-2004, 03:16 AM
Banned
If you have the dvd, then you know that they clearly say it was a turbo S.

As for Lambo in racing, look here for a Diablo, please read the line over, where it said passed a GT2 easily:
http://www.nmd.com.au/news2/news_detail.cfm?ID=2290

http://www.nmd.com.au/news2/news_sel...me=Lamborghini

http://www.procar.com.au/newsitem.as...th=5&year=2004

Heres the new Murcielago:
http://www.screamworld.net/news.htm

Old 08-18-2004, 03:18 AM
Z0RR0 has a brilliant futureZ0RR0 has a brilliant futureZ0RR0 has a brilliant futureZ0RR0 has a brilliant futureZ0RR0 has a brilliant futureZ0RR0 has a brilliant futureZ0RR0 has a brilliant futureZ0RR0 has a brilliant futureZ0RR0 has a brilliant futureZ0RR0 has a brilliant futureZ0RR0 has a brilliant future
*cough*

*cough* ... not a race car? And I believe this baby is closer to its road car than the Vette that's chasing it, or a 575GTC. Kinda like the GT3 RSR that's behind.
And a 3rd pic, just because it's beautiful

edit - damn, allan beat me to it.

Last edited by Z0RR0; 08-18-2004 at 03:22 AM.
Old 08-18-2004, 03:25 AM
Porsche Fiend
Hamann7 is infamous around these partsHamann7 is infamous around these parts
Uhhh... Murci R-GT and GT3RSR do not compete in the same class... 445hp vs. 700hp. Real good comparo there.

GT2 will spank a Murci on any track, any day. Look at the Ring and Hockenheim times, not even close.

Since the Corvette C5-R is kicking the Murci's *** in racing, does that mean Corvettes are superior to Lambos too? I guess they are.

Old 08-18-2004, 03:50 AM
Banned
Hamann, please get your head out of your Porsches ***.

Hockenheim:
Porsche Gt2=1.12.6
Murcielago= 1.12
Gallardo-1.11.8

Nurburgring:
Porsche Gt2=7.46
Murcielago=7.50
Gallardo-7.52

But, Sport Auto tested an E-gear version of the Murci at:

http://speed.supercars.net/Board?vie...D=6&tID=101505

So, no, your almighty Gt2 will not, beat a Murci, on any track, any place, as the results which you reffered to, are well documented already as not being true.

Old 08-18-2004, 04:01 AM
Z0RR0 has a brilliant futureZ0RR0 has a brilliant futureZ0RR0 has a brilliant futureZ0RR0 has a brilliant futureZ0RR0 has a brilliant futureZ0RR0 has a brilliant futureZ0RR0 has a brilliant futureZ0RR0 has a brilliant futureZ0RR0 has a brilliant futureZ0RR0 has a brilliant futureZ0RR0 has a brilliant future
Originally posted by Hamann7
Uhhh... Murci R-GT and GT3RSR do not compete in the same class... 445hp vs. 700hp. Real good comparo there.

GT2 will spank a Murci on any track, any day. Look at the Ring and Hockenheim times, not even close.

Since the Corvette C5-R is kicking the Murci's *** in racing, does that mean Corvettes are superior to Lambos too? I guess they are.
Sorry 'bout the misunderstanding. I was mentioning the RSR because it was in the pic, and I believe the GT3 RSR is as close to a 996 as the RGT is to a Murci (while being in different classes), whereas the C5R or 575GTC are based on a specific chassis. Was not talking about speed here.

BTW, I agree a GT2 will give a Murci a run for its money. No flame intended anywhere.

Old 08-18-2004, 04:14 AM
Fanman is infamous around these parts
911 Turbo

Originally posted by allanlambo
If you have the dvd, then you know that they clearly say it was a turbo S.
I looked at the video again. It does NOT say it was a turbo S. It says "911 Turbo Tiptronic S" They clearly state throughout the whole video that it has 420 hp (and even lists it visually as 420 ps). If you look at the time attack video, and the super battle the rear bonnet has the "turbo" script on the back, but no "S" behind it. This is a "regular" turbo that they are racing.

By the way, the Murcielago driver was Akihiko Nakaya, the regular host of Best Motoring, not a first time driver. It was the first time he has driven in the Murcielago, but he has been in pretty much every Best Motoring Video ever made. The Person in the Gallardo was Takuya Kurosawa, the guy that drove the Gallardo throughout the entire evaluation portion of the video. Both Best Motoring veterans.

Old 08-18-2004, 04:14 AM
20C4S has a reputation beyond repute20C4S has a reputation beyond repute20C4S has a reputation beyond repute20C4S has a reputation beyond repute20C4S has a reputation beyond repute20C4S has a reputation beyond repute20C4S has a reputation beyond repute20C4S has a reputation beyond repute20C4S has a reputation beyond repute20C4S has a reputation beyond repute20C4S has a reputation beyond repute
another drama?? let the fun starts!

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Porsche in Best Motoring Video