996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

The complete road racing thread, take your car to the track!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-28-2011, 05:02 PM
FAST FWD Is a GOD !FAST FWD Is a GOD !FAST FWD Is a GOD !FAST FWD Is a GOD !FAST FWD Is a GOD !FAST FWD Is a GOD !FAST FWD Is a GOD !FAST FWD Is a GOD !FAST FWD Is a GOD !FAST FWD Is a GOD !FAST FWD Is a GOD !
Barber weekend

OK, here's a video link. This was from my first day on the track. It's a pretty complicated track with a lot of subtleties that I haven't figured out yet. Lots of shifting - you have to be able to heel and toe at this place! What a fun track.

Saturday was really hot - 96 degrees and Alabama humid. Sunday was a little better, at least there was some occasional cloud cover.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5rjo7VxjjeM

Attached Images    
Old 07-05-2011, 05:54 PM
ipapilot is on a distinguished road
Hey Jon, I'm just a lurker here... If you are planning to attend any future DEs at Barber, feel free to look me up. I'd love to help you drop some time at Barber. Hope you guys enjoyed yourselves.

Brian Starr
AL PCA Treasurer
(and the guy who found your mop

Last edited by ipapilot; 07-05-2011 at 05:57 PM.
Old 07-07-2011, 06:56 PM
buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !
I will be at Grattan September 10-11 with the West Michigan Porsche club. If anyone wants to go Grattan is a great track and I can be your host.

Old 07-07-2011, 07:23 PM
FAST FWD Is a GOD !FAST FWD Is a GOD !FAST FWD Is a GOD !FAST FWD Is a GOD !FAST FWD Is a GOD !FAST FWD Is a GOD !FAST FWD Is a GOD !FAST FWD Is a GOD !FAST FWD Is a GOD !FAST FWD Is a GOD !FAST FWD Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by ipapilot
Hey Jon, I'm just a lurker here... If you are planning to attend any future DEs at Barber, feel free to look me up. I'd love to help you drop some time at Barber. Hope you guys enjoyed yourselves.

Brian Starr
AL PCA Treasurer
(and the guy who found your mop
Thanks Brian. It was really a nice event, and a great track. I'd like to take you up on your offer. It's such a nice track, but also a really long drive for me (10 hours). I hope to get back there next year.

I found the rest of the mop by the door in the garage, more than 20 feet away. A really industrious mouse!

Jon

Old 07-11-2011, 11:05 PM
HowlerMonkey is infamous around these partsHowlerMonkey is infamous around these partsHowlerMonkey is infamous around these parts
I'm sure you PBIR (moroso) guys have seen this one putting in some really fast laps.

Old 07-12-2011, 06:57 AM
2muchtime has a reputation beyond repute2muchtime has a reputation beyond repute2muchtime has a reputation beyond repute2muchtime has a reputation beyond repute2muchtime has a reputation beyond repute2muchtime has a reputation beyond repute2muchtime has a reputation beyond repute2muchtime has a reputation beyond repute2muchtime has a reputation beyond repute2muchtime has a reputation beyond repute2muchtime has a reputation beyond repute
I go out to PBIR quite a bit and haven't seen it yet? Looking forward to it though, this weekend PBOC and next weekend H.O.D. maybe then..

Old 08-17-2011, 08:00 PM
MRE
MRE is on a distinguished road
I just sold my 996tt track car. I am going to miss it. I am going to be posting in the classified section my safety and speed bolt ons that I removed. GT3 seats, bk harnesss bar, kwv3, etc.

Old 08-18-2011, 08:56 AM
buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by MRE
I just sold my 996tt track car. I am going to miss it. I am going to be posting in the classified section my safety and speed bolt ons that I removed. GT3 seats, bk harnesss bar, kwv3, etc.

Pics of the ride, please!

Old 10-05-2011, 10:52 AM
Savetheclutch has much to be proud ofSavetheclutch has much to be proud ofSavetheclutch has much to be proud ofSavetheclutch has much to be proud ofSavetheclutch has much to be proud ofSavetheclutch has much to be proud ofSavetheclutch has much to be proud ofSavetheclutch has much to be proud of
guys I need some advice.. is a rwd 996tt a good car to start tracking? I really want to get into the sport but I am kind of affraid of starting with this car

Old 10-06-2011, 12:30 PM
heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !
Does it have an LSD? How much HP? Suspension?

Old 10-06-2011, 01:55 PM
Savetheclutch has much to be proud ofSavetheclutch has much to be proud ofSavetheclutch has much to be proud ofSavetheclutch has much to be proud ofSavetheclutch has much to be proud ofSavetheclutch has much to be proud ofSavetheclutch has much to be proud ofSavetheclutch has much to be proud of
I am not sure if it has an LSD as it was RWD when I got it, I have to check but I might turn it back to awd. I am putting down high 5xxrwhp.. as for suspension JIC Cross competition 15 way adjustable.

I signed for my first track day on the 22nd at NJMP thunderbolt, hopefully I don't end up against a wall haha

Old 05-18-2012, 01:25 PM
TimAZ has a spectacular aura aboutTimAZ has a spectacular aura aboutTimAZ has a spectacular aura about
Cool Carbon Brake Pads

I just wanted to post an update on Cool Carbon Brake Pads for track use. I used these pads at a track in Wilcox, AZ. Not a hard braking layout. Some may have better results but my results were not good. After a cool down lap I still had smoking front brake pads. I do drive the car very close to it's limits. Just my two cents.
Tim

Old 05-18-2012, 01:30 PM
2muchtime has a reputation beyond repute2muchtime has a reputation beyond repute2muchtime has a reputation beyond repute2muchtime has a reputation beyond repute2muchtime has a reputation beyond repute2muchtime has a reputation beyond repute2muchtime has a reputation beyond repute2muchtime has a reputation beyond repute2muchtime has a reputation beyond repute2muchtime has a reputation beyond repute2muchtime has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by TimAZ
I just wanted to post an update on Cool Carbon Brake Pads for track use. I used these pads at a track in Wilcox, AZ. Not a hard braking layout. Some may have better results but my results were not good. After a cool down lap I still had smoking front brake pads. I do drive the car very close to it's limits. Just my two cents.
Tim
Try PFC's 01 rear and 08's in the front, really good pads, no bedding required and Daytona, Sebring, Homestead and PBIR tough on brakes never had a problem with them and you can run to the plates!

Old 05-19-2012, 12:20 PM
f1crazydriver Is a GOD !f1crazydriver Is a GOD !f1crazydriver Is a GOD !f1crazydriver Is a GOD !f1crazydriver Is a GOD !f1crazydriver Is a GOD !f1crazydriver Is a GOD !f1crazydriver Is a GOD !f1crazydriver Is a GOD !f1crazydriver Is a GOD !f1crazydriver Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by TimAZ
Tim

Tim,

I was one the first user to use CoolCarbons and report back. Cool Carbons are great for street and semi track. I also drive harder than norm. Two things come to mind.

1. Are you using something other than stock brake pads
2. for 10/10s these pads are not the best-- but you need to give them a few cool down laps.

Old 07-26-2012, 09:29 AM
Banned
johnmiller will become famous soon enough
this is pretty complicated track.. cornering are difficult.. nice job.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: The complete road racing thread, take your car to the track!