996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

The complete road racing thread, take your car to the track!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-26-2010, 07:19 AM
FAST FWD Is a GOD !FAST FWD Is a GOD !FAST FWD Is a GOD !FAST FWD Is a GOD !FAST FWD Is a GOD !FAST FWD Is a GOD !FAST FWD Is a GOD !FAST FWD Is a GOD !FAST FWD Is a GOD !FAST FWD Is a GOD !FAST FWD Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Al Norton

Of course going lower all the way around means another type of coil over system. My ride heights are currently about 110mm on the front and 125 in the rear.
Where is that measured?

It's my understanding that the 996 body style with factory settings actually creates a small amount of lift at high speed. Not sure why Porsche would do that but nonetheloess that's what I read a few years ago. Don't know if info is reliable or not.
On the old (pre-1989) I know that there was 150 lbs of lift at the rear without the whale tail, and 50-75 with it, at 120mph. The lift increases with speed. It's just the nature of the shape of a car. Air can get over the top easier than underneath, and that generates lift.

Jon

Old 11-26-2010, 10:55 AM
Liquidcooled is just really niceLiquidcooled is just really niceLiquidcooled is just really niceLiquidcooled is just really nice
Originally Posted by Al Norton

My ride heights are currently about 110mm on the front and 125 in the rear.
I would also like to know were you are taking your measurements.

I have the stock spoiler on the front, not the Aero.
I have the Porsche factory aero kit on my car, do you think going to a more agressive front lip like the Ruf style in this link will also help along with the rake change.

http://www.vividracing.com/catalog/x...5-p-58986.html

Old 11-26-2010, 02:28 PM
FAST FWD Is a GOD !FAST FWD Is a GOD !FAST FWD Is a GOD !FAST FWD Is a GOD !FAST FWD Is a GOD !FAST FWD Is a GOD !FAST FWD Is a GOD !FAST FWD Is a GOD !FAST FWD Is a GOD !FAST FWD Is a GOD !FAST FWD Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Liquidcooled
I have the Porsche factory aero kit on my car, do you think going to a more agressive front lip like the Ruf style in this link will also help along with the rake change.
It looks nice, but one would really need wind tunnel data to know if it actually improves downforce, and by how much. Also, how much it increases drag. Unfortunately, those data are expensive to measure, and not many aftermarket manufacturers do those tests.

Old 11-29-2010, 02:41 PM
Al Norton has much to be proud ofAl Norton has much to be proud ofAl Norton has much to be proud ofAl Norton has much to be proud ofAl Norton has much to be proud ofAl Norton has much to be proud ofAl Norton has much to be proud ofAl Norton has much to be proud of
[quote=FAST FWD;3050642]Where is that measured?

Sorry I didn't respond more quickly but I just had a wonderful track weekend at Road Atlanta.

The front measurement is taken ahead of the front tire. If you look underneath, hiding behind the little rubber air directors for brake cooling, u will find 3 bolts with green heads. Measure from the middle one to a level surface.

On the rear, look in behind the rear tire and in front of the 2 anti-roll bar cups that attach to the aluminum cross member and u will find a machined little flat with a hole going up into it. Don't measure up into the hole but rather on the flat just beside it on that large crossmember that supports the transaxle. It's in line with and about 3" forward from the bolt that has the eccentric behind it and is used to adjust rear toe.

Old 11-29-2010, 10:56 PM
Thanks, Al. Hope the weekend was good.

Jon

Old 11-30-2010, 12:30 PM
Al Norton has much to be proud ofAl Norton has much to be proud ofAl Norton has much to be proud ofAl Norton has much to be proud ofAl Norton has much to be proud ofAl Norton has much to be proud ofAl Norton has much to be proud ofAl Norton has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by FAST FWD
Thanks, Al. Hope the weekend was good.

Jon
Very nice except for getting tossed all around in the car bc the stock seats are now back in the car. I never had it on track before without the racing seat and harness. I'm working on resolving that issue over the winter.

Old 04-29-2011, 06:27 AM
buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !
Who's heading to the track in the Midwest? Anyone want to do a track event at Mid-Ohio or Gingerman this Spring or Summer?

Old 04-29-2011, 08:14 AM
Originally Posted by buddyg
Who's heading to the track in the Midwest? Anyone want to do a track event at Mid-Ohio or Gingerman this Spring or Summer?
Darn, Buddy. Just got back from Mid-Ohio two weeks ago. Barber in June, but that's quite a haul for you. Think about Putnam Park - it's like Gingerman, only better paved.

Jon

Old 04-29-2011, 09:36 AM
heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !
No way man, you are going to Barber? First time?

I would like to do Mid-Ohio this summer, but my car is going down after early June for some "improvements". We need to put an event together again. I'd be down for Mid-O, Road America etc.

Old 05-01-2011, 12:58 PM
Originally Posted by heavychevy
No way man, you are going to Barber? First time?
Yes, first time. Any pointers would be most welcome. I'm going with my long-time driving buddy. They are going to give us a one-day intro and let us instruct for novices on the weekend. Should be fun.

I would like to do Mid-Ohio this summer, but my car is going down after early June for some "improvements". We need to put an event together again. I'd be down for Mid-O, Road America etc.
It would be cool to meet after seeing your posts over the years. I'll try to let you know what other events I am going to do. My travel schedule interferes a bit with my DE events...

Regards,

Jon

Old 05-01-2011, 05:59 PM
heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by FAST FWD
Yes, first time. Any pointers would be most welcome. I'm going with my long-time driving buddy. They are going to give us a one-day intro and let us instruct for novices on the weekend. Should be fun.

It would be cool to meet after seeing your posts over the years. I'll try to let you know what other events I am going to do. My travel schedule interferes a bit with my DE events...

Regards,

Jon
Barber is awesome, you should love it. It's a lot like Mid-ohio with the blind turns and elevation changes, but has it's fair share of very slow turns as well. First pointer is to learn the blind sections. The TT (esp AWD) loves Barber. There are a lot of places you just cannot put power down in RWD but you can in AWD.

Here is a track map: -> Bigger http://www.barbermotorsports.com/gen...ckgeometry.pdf

Turn 1 - is a very high speed turn, a lot of people over slow for that one. Once you are comfortable with the track it's one you can really push the envelope on (IE lots of throttle at apex). Think brake shorter and earlier and turn in earlier.

2&3 - There are so many lines through there you'll just have to find one you like. I like to stay mid track early and lift right before the exit to turn 3 and then blast full throttle up the hill. The TT will stick, just have to build your confidence up for what's next.

Turn 4 - Blind uphill right hander that you can take foot to floor once you're ready, just remember to use all of the track after the hill, it's really wide, but get's marbles from people not using all of the track (and unwisely pinching the wheel). It's also one of the more common accident spots so be careful.

Turn 5 Hairpin- I have tried every way possible through here and it seems they are all about the same. Just use all of the track on exit.

7a,7b and 8 "museum turn" Another early apex turn, don't overbrake. You can use the curb on the left on the way down the hill, but if you are hard on the brakes which you should need to be, the ABS will ruin the turn for you, so soften up on the brake going over that outside curb.

9 & 10 High speed chicane, I tend to coast on entry because I don't want to hit the brakes. Some people use brakes there though, but try to carry as much speed as possible. It's really high speed.

11 & 12 I treat these as one because they are almost like a chicane. just don't over slow because you need all the momentum you can going up that steep hill over the tunnel. TT AWD is great here.

Turn 14a Do not take the DE line you see everyone else take, it's slow. Stay about mid track and just make the turn tight, it's more of a throwaway turn for 15 anyways.

That's the short of it.

Here's a Video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gVo6h_KOGIk

Old 06-09-2011, 09:31 AM
fdorn has much to be proud offdorn has much to be proud offdorn has much to be proud offdorn has much to be proud offdorn has much to be proud offdorn has much to be proud offdorn has much to be proud offdorn has much to be proud offdorn has much to be proud of
Couple of Pics from Autobahn Country Club with MVP 6/6/2011

Here is a link to all this pics
http://s208.photobucket.com/albums/b...-6-2011%20MVP/

Some pics

Name:  DSC_0223.jpg
Views: 219
Size:  75.6 KB

Name:  DSC_0222.jpg
Views: 224
Size:  74.9 KB

Name:  DSC_0218.jpg
Views: 204
Size:  69.6 KB

Name:  DSC_0111.jpg
Views: 234
Size:  59.2 KB

Name:  DSC_0175.jpg
Views: 206
Size:  68.3 KB

Name:  DSC_0290.jpg
Views: 220
Size:  64.1 KB

Name:  DSC_0295.jpg
Views: 229
Size:  65.0 KB

Name:  DSC_0382.jpg
Views: 203
Size:  63.7 KB

Name:  DSC_0263.jpg
Views: 199
Size:  64.5 KB

Name:  DSC_0408.jpg
Views: 221
Size:  83.4 KB

Name:  DSC_0362.jpg
Views: 217
Size:  83.8 KB

Old 06-14-2011, 11:45 AM
fdorn has much to be proud offdorn has much to be proud offdorn has much to be proud offdorn has much to be proud offdorn has much to be proud offdorn has much to be proud offdorn has much to be proud offdorn has much to be proud offdorn has much to be proud of
Autobahn CC PCA 6/13/2001

Couple of pics from yesterday

Name:  DSC_0599.jpg
Views: 242
Size:  81.5 KB

Name:  DSC_0596.jpg
Views: 224
Size:  73.1 KB

Name:  DSC_0590.jpg
Views: 207
Size:  80.6 KB

Name:  DSC_0529.jpg
Views: 195
Size:  82.5 KB

Name:  DSC_0485.jpg
Views: 243
Size:  96.1 KB

Name:  DSC_0482.jpg
Views: 226
Size:  90.1 KB

Name:  DSC_0473.jpg
Views: 208
Size:  89.6 KB

Name:  DSC_0427.jpg
Views: 252
Size:  110.2 KB

Name:  DSC_0391.jpg
Views: 198
Size:  100.0 KB

Name:  DSC_0381.jpg
Views: 239
Size:  173.4 KB

Name:  DSC_0379.jpg
Views: 202
Size:  109.9 KB

Name:  DSC_0181.jpg
Views: 217
Size:  91.3 KB

Name:  DSC_0120.jpg
Views: 208
Size:  66.5 KB

Name:  DSC_0072.jpg
Views: 225
Size:  125.9 KB

Name:  DSC_0453.jpg
Views: 211
Size:  92.1 KB

Name:  frank1.jpg
Views: 212
Size:  74.0 KB

Last edited by fdorn; 06-14-2011 at 01:18 PM.
Old 06-21-2011, 09:22 AM
buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !
Nice pics!

Anyone doing any track events at Grattan Raceway this year?

Great track and I would join you.

Old 06-26-2011, 08:06 PM
Just finished the weekend at Barber. What a great track! Dez - your description above was really helpful. You are constantly busy - downshifting, upshifting, turning, braking - seems like you are constantly doing something. I got some video that I'll post soon...

Jon

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: The complete road racing thread, take your car to the track!