996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

The complete road racing thread, take your car to the track!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-27-2014, 05:38 PM
pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by randomquickness
Thanks for the comments. I was turning off PSM but now that you mention it, it's very possible I forgot to turn it off for that session. I might have just jumped in and took off I don't think I came in too hot but on this particular corner I have not gotten a good line yet...I guess it's time for more practice!
Dez, is right. PSM is my opinion is the worst electronic gizmo on these cars. Turning off the dash PSM switch does not fully defeat it, it just dumbs it down. Get rid of it. Disconnect the pump (takes 2 minutes) or better yet remove the damn thing from the car all together. Just run a brake line from the rear port of the brake master cylinder directly to the ABS module and swap your brake fluid reservoir to the 997GT3 version. Without PSM the car is extremely forgiving and predictable assuming you have it set up correctly and know how to drive a rear weight bias car.

Last edited by pwdrhound; 05-27-2014 at 05:41 PM.
Old 05-27-2014, 05:59 PM
randomquickness is a splendid one to beholdrandomquickness is a splendid one to beholdrandomquickness is a splendid one to beholdrandomquickness is a splendid one to beholdrandomquickness is a splendid one to beholdrandomquickness is a splendid one to beholdrandomquickness is a splendid one to beholdrandomquickness is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by pwdrhound
Dez, is right. PSM is my opinion is the worst electronic gizmo on these cars. Turning off the dash PSM switch does not fully defeat it, it just dumbs it down. Get rid of it. Disconnect the pump (takes 2 minutes) or better yet remove the damn thing from the car all together. Just run a brake line from the rear port of the brake master cylinder directly to the ABS module and swap your brake fluid reservoir to the 997GT3 version. Without PSM the car is extremely forgiving and predictable assuming you have it set up correctly and know how to drive a rear weight bias car.
In theory, I know how to drive it...applying it on the track at speed is a different story

I'll have to look into removing the PSM. It really drives me crazy. There have been times where I thought the PSM was going to be the cause of me losing control and not the solution.

Last edited by randomquickness; 05-27-2014 at 06:01 PM.
Old 05-27-2014, 06:27 PM
pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !
In theory, I know how to drive it...applying it on the track at speed is a different story

I'll have to look into removing the PSM. It really drives me crazy. There have been times where I thought the PSM was going to be the cause of me losing control and not the solution.
Disconnect the PSM connector and tighten up your front sway a bit to give the car a little more understeer. That will make it a bit more forgiving initially and allow you to trail brake aggressively without making the back end wanna come around. I run my car geared toward understeer via a very small split in spring rates (1400F/1500R) and run my GT3 front bar in the middle with the rear bar full soft. This requires me to trail brake hard and deep in order to rotate the car but at the same time allows me to charge the corner at a higher speed thus raising my minimum speed through the turns. That's what drops your lap times...

Last edited by pwdrhound; 10-11-2014 at 02:01 PM.
Old 10-14-2014, 09:07 AM
Originally Posted by zfbzfd
Any of you guys run cool suits in the summer up north?
I found a cool suit to hugely helpful in reducing fatigue and improving concentration even on a 60F day especially in endurance racing where I was driving 1.5 hour stints.

Old 10-14-2014, 09:52 AM
heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !
I never feel hot in the car as long as it's moving. Sitting on the grid may get hot, but the added weight is a huge deterrent for me. It's hard enough getting these things down to good weight only to add it back. That's just me though.

Old 11-16-2014, 12:42 PM
ghostofpain is a splendid one to beholdghostofpain is a splendid one to beholdghostofpain is a splendid one to beholdghostofpain is a splendid one to beholdghostofpain is a splendid one to beholdghostofpain is a splendid one to beholdghostofpain is a splendid one to behold
Cooling the breaks down is a good thing for the track.
The stock spoilers are weak, in the rear there are non.

You could buy some GT2 parts, but they are really costly.

Very cheap way to get a decent upgrade:
front: 997 341 483 92
997 341 484 92
rear: 997 331 487 03
997 331 488 03
plug and play.
For the front spoilers i payed just 10 € and for the rear ones under 30 €.

Old 01-16-2015, 12:19 PM
GreggT is a splendid one to beholdGreggT is a splendid one to beholdGreggT is a splendid one to beholdGreggT is a splendid one to beholdGreggT is a splendid one to beholdGreggT is a splendid one to beholdGreggT is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by pwdrhound
It's nit-picking but here's a quick clarification, if I might.
If PSM is "off"...it's outputs are offline (they are really "off")......however, PSM continues to collect it's data (ABS, the yaw sensor, the lateral acceleration sensors, and the steering wheel position sensor, RPM, throttle position, and gear). You can screw up quite badly with PSM "off" and it will not come back or intervene.
If, however, you're being bad (let's say your levels of slip are exceeded....I think that was by 7 or 8%) AND, at that time you touch your brakes......PSM will come back on, trying to help you regain control (or mess with what you are trying to do depending on your view point).

Last edited by GreggT; 03-02-2015 at 10:18 AM.
Old 04-18-2016, 09:05 PM
BadBiturbo will become famous soon enough
Hoping to get some track time this season

Old 05-27-2016, 11:48 AM
sprinterman is on a distinguished road
I agree

Old 06-07-2016, 09:25 AM
Oversight will become famous soon enoughOversight will become famous soon enough
I thought this thread might be helpful to some looking to see what mods were helpful on the track. Could someone update the lap time list? It would be cool to see my name on a lap time list even if it's only a list of a few

Oversight 1:17.13 at Putnam Park 2002 996 TT

Here's the thread which includes video

https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...ml#post4524881

Old 06-08-2016, 03:07 PM
Fadi has a reputation beyond reputeFadi has a reputation beyond reputeFadi has a reputation beyond reputeFadi has a reputation beyond reputeFadi has a reputation beyond reputeFadi has a reputation beyond reputeFadi has a reputation beyond reputeFadi has a reputation beyond reputeFadi has a reputation beyond reputeFadi has a reputation beyond reputeFadi has a reputation beyond repute
Guys with PSM completely off (unplugged) should I be able to use Pirelli slicks ?

245/645-18
305/680-18

RWD of course

Can this combo generate ABS malfunction, saw some guys saying they even crashed from this...

Last edited by Fadi; 06-08-2016 at 04:23 PM.
Old 06-12-2016, 05:19 PM
heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !
680 is almost certainly going to rub. It's too tall.... There is a 305/660/18 or 305/640/18 you could get to to fit but even that 660 is tight. And your spring rates better be tight, the pirellis will own normal spring rates with the grip they make.

Old 06-14-2016, 11:11 AM
Fadi has a reputation beyond reputeFadi has a reputation beyond reputeFadi has a reputation beyond reputeFadi has a reputation beyond reputeFadi has a reputation beyond reputeFadi has a reputation beyond reputeFadi has a reputation beyond reputeFadi has a reputation beyond reputeFadi has a reputation beyond reputeFadi has a reputation beyond reputeFadi has a reputation beyond repute
Heavy I am not using any more the plastic liners, checked them standing and at low speed on the street and they dont rub, I am using KW v3 with their upgraded stiffest springs, but dont know exactly the specs

Arent you afraid the 660 tall or 640 are going to get fried really fast? That was my understanding and avoided them so far

Old 06-14-2016, 12:45 PM
Originally Posted by Fadi
Heavy I am not using any more the plastic liners, checked them standing and at low speed on the street and they dont rub, I am using KW v3 with their upgraded stiffest springs, but dont know exactly the specs

Arent you afraid the 660 tall or 640 are going to get fried really fast? That was my understanding and avoided them so far
The 660 and 640 are designed by Pirelli as front tires, only the 680s are for a rear. Fitting the 27" tall 680 is a tall order but if you can make it work them my hats off to you. Even with 1500# springs I can't do it on my car unless in raise the ride height excessively as the height of the wheel well in our cars is low due to the intake duct above it.

The 640/660 are front tires. I'd check with Pirelli but they will tell you they are not designed for the rear weight of the 911. With that said they will likely work as you are not running an hour long enduro with them. The more agressive you are the quicker they will go away. 325/660/18 is what I would run instead of the 305/660. The 325s are larger and thus will likely carry a bit higher load and absorb a bit more heat than the 305s.

Old 06-14-2016, 02:22 PM
even the 325/660/18 seems to be a front tire, will try the 680s and let you know

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: The complete road racing thread, take your car to the track!