996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Who is running Bilstein B8 shocks with H&R springs?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-24-2016, 07:56 PM
xmaciek82x has a brilliant futurexmaciek82x has a brilliant futurexmaciek82x has a brilliant futurexmaciek82x has a brilliant futurexmaciek82x has a brilliant futurexmaciek82x has a brilliant futurexmaciek82x has a brilliant futurexmaciek82x has a brilliant futurexmaciek82x has a brilliant futurexmaciek82x has a brilliant futurexmaciek82x has a brilliant future

I understand there is A LOT of threads on "What suspension should I buy?". I also understand that the answer 99% of the time is PSS10.

I would like to get some feedback from people that run Bilstein B8 shock with H&R springs. Do you like them over stock? How well do the B8 shock work with H&R springs?

Are there different springs that compliment the Bilsteins shocks better?

I don't want to get into the whole coilover vs cup kit debate. I know PSS10 are superior, but I can't spend $3k on PSS10 setup. I ran coilovers on previous cars as well as shock/spring kits. My Evo IX had bilstein/eibach springs combo for 6years and I loved them. I dd my car in rain/snow/sun, I just want a good performing suspension (better then stock) and don't need damper/height adjustments.

Old 01-24-2016, 09:55 PM
geetee has a brilliant futuregeetee has a brilliant futuregeetee has a brilliant futuregeetee has a brilliant futuregeetee has a brilliant futuregeetee has a brilliant futuregeetee has a brilliant futuregeetee has a brilliant futuregeetee has a brilliant futuregeetee has a brilliant futuregeetee has a brilliant future
they are a perfect fit. B8 and H&r. no need to or worry about adjusting. Just install align and be done with it.

Old 01-24-2016, 09:59 PM
geetee has a brilliant futuregeetee has a brilliant futuregeetee has a brilliant futuregeetee has a brilliant futuregeetee has a brilliant futuregeetee has a brilliant futuregeetee has a brilliant futuregeetee has a brilliant futuregeetee has a brilliant futuregeetee has a brilliant futuregeetee has a brilliant future
you're going to need at least new OEM front top hats for the B8's though as those OEM one's wear out/crack....you're probably up in coilover money then

Old 01-24-2016, 10:45 PM
vogz has a reputation beyond reputevogz has a reputation beyond reputevogz has a reputation beyond reputevogz has a reputation beyond reputevogz has a reputation beyond reputevogz has a reputation beyond reputevogz has a reputation beyond reputevogz has a reputation beyond reputevogz has a reputation beyond reputevogz has a reputation beyond reputevogz has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by geetee
you're going to need at least new OEM front top hats for the B8's though as those OEM one's wear out/crack....you're probably up in coilover money then
Coilovers will need those too (unless you do aftermarket top mounts with are also more $$), so that's a wash.

Old 01-25-2016, 07:40 AM
xmaciek82x has a brilliant futurexmaciek82x has a brilliant futurexmaciek82x has a brilliant futurexmaciek82x has a brilliant futurexmaciek82x has a brilliant futurexmaciek82x has a brilliant futurexmaciek82x has a brilliant futurexmaciek82x has a brilliant futurexmaciek82x has a brilliant futurexmaciek82x has a brilliant futurexmaciek82x has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by vogz
Coilovers will need those too (unless you do aftermarket top mounts with are also more $$), so that's a wash.
PSS10s don't come with top mounts

If that is the case, B8 are around $1200 + $300 for H&R springs, is way lower then $2900 for PSS10. If top mounts need to be bought for PSS10/cup kit then another $600. I just always assumes PSS10 came with top mounts.

Old 01-25-2016, 02:12 PM
Ck986 is on a distinguished road

Last I saw pss10's are 2400 at carnewal. B8's are still $1000 cheaper. I'm also considering the B8 route, but haven't heard of many running them. I think they are bigger in the 993 community as many 996 guys are still on original suspension parts.

Old 01-25-2016, 11:52 PM
tropicatango has a spectacular aura abouttropicatango has a spectacular aura about
I dont track my 996 turbo but love spirited driving, i have bilstein b8 with h&r spring, on the front i put tarret camber plate to replace my worn top mount.

Stock shocks were pretty much finish when i replaced them and feeling wasnt stable on them, so all i can say is that the bilstein b8 / h&r offer a very tight and precise handling vs my worn oem suspension, both on h&r spring

To me, the drop is perfect, not too low and the car have a very good handling with this setup and the car remain very very comfortable on long driving trip ( 4 hours )

Like you, i didnt want to spend 3000$ on the pss10 and my car already had the h&r spring on it when i bought it so it was an easy decision to go bilstein b8 and i'm very happy with the handling

On the track, i guess it´s too soft for hardcore experimented driver On the street, it´s very perfect and dont have any regrets not going pss10.

Last edited by tropicatango; 01-25-2016 at 11:58 PM.
Old 01-26-2016, 01:28 AM
'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !
gettee's right ..it's a perfect no muss or fuss bolt-on perfect fit just bolt on and align and go. it's much like either an ROW MO30 w springs or even an x73 kit is actually a good comparison in terms of the stance, and feel! you'll like 'em so of just the dampers and the spring combo. they're that good and designed to work well together. i'd add maybe a gt3 sway bar rear for a bit more torsional stability. but for 1200 bucks and the springs maybe 1500 all in? can't be beat, and while the other guys are *still* trying to properly dial in their coilover setups over front to rear? you'll have lapped em lol. jus kiddin. Theyres really no END to that road though cos next you'l wan't some adj toe links to deal with squat and inner wear since presumably now you'll be lowered but with what, you're getting? you're on the right track! and that will be a dramatically flatter stance and less roll the corners. for a street/dual duty combo it'll be a good choice!

Old 01-26-2016, 09:23 AM
Thanks all for the feedback.

Is there a place that sells M030 ROW or x73 springs only without the whole kit? From what I remember, they are a bit stiffer them H&R springs and should work well with B8 shocks.

Old 01-26-2016, 10:37 AM
gophaster Is a GOD !gophaster Is a GOD !gophaster Is a GOD !gophaster Is a GOD !gophaster Is a GOD !gophaster Is a GOD !gophaster Is a GOD !gophaster Is a GOD !gophaster Is a GOD !gophaster Is a GOD !gophaster Is a GOD !
I'll throw in my .02...lol. Something between the B8/H&R spring combo (which by the way I think is a great combo) and PSS10 would be H&R Street Coilovers (sub $2k). These are very similar in design to the stock GT2 coilovers, they also use Bilstein shocks and H&R springs and were designed as a package. Takes just a couple minutes to set your ride height exactly where you want it..take it to get aligned and you are done.

Having done my install recently I would recommend (like the others have said) getting new oem front top hats and bearings. You will almost definitely need them regardless of which of the above combos you go with.

Good luck!

Old 01-26-2016, 12:07 PM
tropicatango has a spectacular aura abouttropicatango has a spectacular aura about
for me, new tarret camber plate were less expensive than oem top plate so it worth upgrading when you replace suspension, it also allow more front camber to reduce understeer

Old 01-26-2016, 03:29 PM
'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by xmaciek82x
Thanks all for the feedback.

Is there a place that sells M030 ROW or x73 springs only without the whole kit? From what I remember, they are a bit stiffer them H&R springs and should work well with B8 shocks.

try gert @ carnewal.com or elephant racing. however, i'm gonna bet that the h&r RED "sports" will be more than sufficient for your wan't/needs all while while retaining SOME degree of middle ground (e.g. ) SOME street spring rate that is suited to double duty about as perfectly mid groud as can be.

also do a search on MO 30's and the 3 places that come up'll source em for you..getting harder to find as you go due to age, but, good luck and good choices.

Last edited by '02996ttx50; 01-26-2016 at 03:32 PM.
Old 09-23-2016, 09:14 AM
splitime has a reputation beyond reputesplitime has a reputation beyond reputesplitime has a reputation beyond reputesplitime has a reputation beyond reputesplitime has a reputation beyond reputesplitime has a reputation beyond reputesplitime has a reputation beyond reputesplitime has a reputation beyond reputesplitime has a reputation beyond reputesplitime has a reputation beyond reputesplitime has a reputation beyond repute
So did you ever do the Bilstein combo?

Thinking my oem shocks have seen better days and considering the shock update with the current H&Rs.

Old 09-23-2016, 11:51 AM
vogz has a reputation beyond reputevogz has a reputation beyond reputevogz has a reputation beyond reputevogz has a reputation beyond reputevogz has a reputation beyond reputevogz has a reputation beyond reputevogz has a reputation beyond reputevogz has a reputation beyond reputevogz has a reputation beyond reputevogz has a reputation beyond reputevogz has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by splitime
So did you ever do the Bilstein combo?

Thinking my oem shocks have seen better days and considering the shock update with the current H&Rs.
Both Matt (xmaciek82x) and I have the B8/H&R setup. I picked mine up after driving his car. Ride is better than stock. Car should have come this way from the factory.

Old 09-23-2016, 12:30 PM
splitime has a reputation beyond reputesplitime has a reputation beyond reputesplitime has a reputation beyond reputesplitime has a reputation beyond reputesplitime has a reputation beyond reputesplitime has a reputation beyond reputesplitime has a reputation beyond reputesplitime has a reputation beyond reputesplitime has a reputation beyond reputesplitime has a reputation beyond reputesplitime has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by vogz
Both Matt (xmaciek82x) and I have the B8/H&R setup. I picked mine up after driving his car. Ride is better than stock. Car should have come this way from the factory.
Good deal, now to find who has the best deal on them.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Who is running Bilstein B8 shocks with H&R springs?