996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Thanks Protomotive!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-01-2007, 04:19 PM
Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !
The danger of ****ty gas is that in very high HP applications, ****ty gas can result in detonation which can cause your engine to go BOOM. Good tuners like Todd do everything they can (timing, A/F ratios etc.) to prevent detonation....but my worry is that even though I only use the top name brands of gas, you never know when you might get a crappy gallon.

Old 02-01-2007, 05:08 PM
WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !
With or without boost controller, doesn't the ECU pull timing anyway
if it senses bad gas??

MK

Old 02-01-2007, 05:09 PM
topgun Is a GOD !topgun Is a GOD !topgun Is a GOD !topgun Is a GOD !topgun Is a GOD !topgun Is a GOD !topgun Is a GOD !topgun Is a GOD !topgun Is a GOD !topgun Is a GOD !topgun Is a GOD !
Even if your AFR's & timing are good, when you run high boost the ECU has no control of the boost only timing to pull from! If you get bad gas. Another thing about EBC, when I had my 930 with a motec I had to reload another program to adjust to the new fuel (C16) ! Again My Ignorance with the 996TT! Do you guy's have to change programs or is it the same program for all fuels, if so then you would be running rich on low octane fuel & low boost. Asuming the car was tuned safely on high boost with race fuel!!

Old 02-01-2007, 05:35 PM
sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by WOODTSTER
With or without boost controller, doesn't the ECU pull timing anyway
if it senses bad gas??

MK
Well if you're "forcing" it to run too high boost for the octane with a boost controller then you're kinda taking that out of the ECUs hands? If you use bad gas, turn down your boost controller

Old 02-01-2007, 05:45 PM
topgun Is a GOD !topgun Is a GOD !topgun Is a GOD !topgun Is a GOD !topgun Is a GOD !topgun Is a GOD !topgun Is a GOD !topgun Is a GOD !topgun Is a GOD !topgun Is a GOD !topgun Is a GOD !
Sharky, thats exactly what I'm saying. the ECU can only pull timing (NO BOOST) & if I'm not mistaking only 20%

Old 02-01-2007, 06:23 PM
carendt242 is a jewel in the roughcarendt242 is a jewel in the roughcarendt242 is a jewel in the roughcarendt242 is a jewel in the rough
Originally Posted by Dr_jitsu
The danger of ****ty gas is that in very high HP applications, ****ty gas can result in detonation which can cause your engine to go BOOM. Good tuners like Todd do everything they can (timing, A/F ratios etc.) to prevent detonation....but my worry is that even though I only use the top name brands of gas, you never know when you might get a crappy gallon.
i can only speculate that a bad tank of (supposed 100) race gas and high boost (1.35-1.4 bar) led to my (stock) engine's demise. it's the risk you run w/ a turbo car.

besides, it's only $10-15k to fix the engine and it gives you a good excuse to upgrade the internals...

- chuck

Old 02-01-2007, 06:31 PM
Basic Sponsor
markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !
From what I know.. Todd has a program written into the ECu that allows the EBC to work.... Not to mention he gets around the Throttle body from closing VIA a software and not Hardwired diodes... that's neat.
I always respect my motors and never get out of hand on crazy boost with bad gas..... I even have a AFR gauge in my car... that's how I protect my motor...
markski

2001 996TT 3.6L and stock ECU
seconds @ 147.76 mph 1/4 mile
click to view
160 mph @ 9.77 seconds in 1/4 mile click to view
50% OFF ON PORSCHE ECU TUNING BLACK FRIDAY SPECIAL

Old 02-01-2007, 06:36 PM
SMR
SMR is a jewel in the roughSMR is a jewel in the roughSMR is a jewel in the roughSMR is a jewel in the rough
Thats the only down side i see to Proto

Old 02-01-2007, 06:48 PM
KPG
KPG Is a GOD !KPG Is a GOD !KPG Is a GOD !KPG Is a GOD !KPG Is a GOD !KPG Is a GOD !KPG Is a GOD !KPG Is a GOD !KPG Is a GOD !KPG Is a GOD !KPG Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by MARKSKI
never get out of hand on crazy boost with bad gas.....
Of course if you KNOW you have bad gas, no one will go crazy with boost. It is the gas you think is good that causes the issues. Can the ECU retarding timing alone protect the motor or does it need to lower boost as well? Is the EBC a standalone unit or is it coupled to the Motronic system as well. Just curious how these things work....Kevin

Old 02-01-2007, 06:55 PM
Basic Sponsor
markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !
Kevin and SMR,

The ecu does not know what gas ur running( thats like most stand alone like AEM, autronik, etc)... It does know the boost though...
The whole trick is to have the car tuned for different boost levels with appropriate fuels...
If I may compare... the evoms set up has a flashloader( which I also used to have).... and it tells the car what file to run...
However that set up runs constant boost setting.... whereas the Proto u adjust on the go...
having an evo8 that runs 20 psi on pumps and 40 psi on C16 I can say that it does work very well....
Most other turbo cars( high HP liek supras,).... run the same way..
markski

click to view

Old 02-01-2007, 07:06 PM
SMR
SMR is a jewel in the roughSMR is a jewel in the roughSMR is a jewel in the roughSMR is a jewel in the rough
Yes i know all that, but i like the ide that the montronic run all features, i know what happens when you over boost, when a hose slips off and etc...

I run exaktly like you decribe on all Supran and all other cars i do, but the aftermarked system does often not have knock control like the motroic have...

I love protos work but i do no like a greddy BC in my 100 000 dollar porsche

Old 02-01-2007, 07:10 PM
Basic Sponsor
Originally Posted by SMR
I love protos work but i do no like a greddy BC in my 100 000 dollar porsche
I just spent apprx. $80K on my tunning(I dont mind a EBC). I actually like it.
it works well... and noone except todd can answer weather the car still has Knock control.. but from recalling what he said b4 it does...
markski

click to view

Old 02-01-2007, 07:13 PM
geetee has a brilliant futuregeetee has a brilliant futuregeetee has a brilliant futuregeetee has a brilliant futuregeetee has a brilliant futuregeetee has a brilliant futuregeetee has a brilliant futuregeetee has a brilliant futuregeetee has a brilliant futuregeetee has a brilliant futuregeetee has a brilliant future
Question. Taking protomotive car for example because most use BC's. Lets say you have 93 oct in the car. Your boost level is set on high (1.5bar).
You are running WOT around town. How is the engine protected? Isnt there a limit to retard timing? Can the ECU recognize timing being retarded and adjust boost?

Old 02-01-2007, 07:14 PM
SMR
Originally Posted by MARKSKI
I just spent apprx. $80K on my tunning(I dont mind a EBC). I actually like it.
it works well... and noone except todd can answer weather the car still has Knock control.. but from recalling what he said b4 it does...
markski
Im almost sure it has knock control, dont se why he should not use it...But i mean a BC does not lower the boost when the knock accurs it hold what it programed to do, no matter what..Thats the down side

But if you are sure about the fuel, then the risk is alot lower, but if you let the motronic do everything you are more bulletproff..this is my opinion

Old 02-01-2007, 07:16 PM
SMR
Originally Posted by geetee
Question. Taking protomotive car for example because most use BC's. Lets say you have 93 oct in the car. Your boost level is set on high (1.5bar).
You are running WOT around town. How is the engine protected? Isnt there a limit to retard timing? Can the ECU recognize timing being retarded and adjust boost?
No the BC is not conected to the ECU, thats where the danger is, if you have low and high boost for example and foregett to shift over, you can have a very expensive ride before you

If the high boost setting is made for a diffrent gas, race fuel for examlple

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Thanks Protomotive!