996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Thanks Protomotive!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-01-2007, 07:18 PM
topgun Is a GOD !topgun Is a GOD !topgun Is a GOD !topgun Is a GOD !topgun Is a GOD !topgun Is a GOD !topgun Is a GOD !topgun Is a GOD !topgun Is a GOD !topgun Is a GOD !topgun Is a GOD !
Mark the ECU knows what boost (but no contol) & adds fuel accordingly,as you said you can adjust the boost on the go but not the fuel file! on the Evo do you change the program when you run C16? If you run high boost on the go, what good is it if you cant change the file for the new fuel as you said, the ECU does not know! On my 930 I changed my tune with a laptop when I added C16. the ECU needs to know what fuel & how much. I think no? Again when you take away the ability of the ECU to control the boost, bad fuel+high boost & your toast. IMHO,but then again what do i know

Old 02-01-2007, 07:18 PM
geetee has a brilliant futuregeetee has a brilliant futuregeetee has a brilliant futuregeetee has a brilliant futuregeetee has a brilliant futuregeetee has a brilliant futuregeetee has a brilliant futuregeetee has a brilliant futuregeetee has a brilliant futuregeetee has a brilliant futuregeetee has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by SMR
No the BC is not conected to the ECU, thats where the danger is, if you have low and high boost for example and foregett to shift over, you can have a very expensive ride before you
Thats what I was thinking. Im sure there's a reason Todd makes em like that.

Old 02-01-2007, 07:19 PM
Basic Sponsor
markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by geetee
Question. Taking protomotive car for example because most use BC's. Lets say you have 93 oct in the car. Your boost level is set on high (1.5bar).
You are running WOT around town. How is the engine protected? Isnt there a limit to retard timing? Can the ECU recognize timing being retarded and adjust boost?
I will throw out a trick question.... how do the evom cars run 1.5 bars on pump? I know I read many times the gt700s and up run pump files at the saem static boost level as on the race file?

If I could fiind todds email I will post it becasue he expalined it to me...
ist not as simple as some think but can be done.

2001 996TT 3.6L and stock ECU
seconds @ 147.76 mph 1/4 mile
click to view
160 mph @ 9.77 seconds in 1/4 mile click to view
50% OFF ON PORSCHE ECU TUNING BLACK FRIDAY SPECIAL

Old 02-01-2007, 07:20 PM
geetee has a brilliant futuregeetee has a brilliant futuregeetee has a brilliant futuregeetee has a brilliant futuregeetee has a brilliant futuregeetee has a brilliant futuregeetee has a brilliant futuregeetee has a brilliant futuregeetee has a brilliant futuregeetee has a brilliant futuregeetee has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by topgun
Mark the ECU knows what boost (but no contol) & adds fuel accordingly,as you said you can adjust the boost on the go but not the fuel file! on the Evo do you change the program when you run C16? If you run high boost on the go, what good is it if you cant change the file for the new fuel as you said, the ECU does not know! On my 930 I changed my tune with a laptop when I added C16. the ECU needs to know what fuel & how much. I think no? Again when you take away the ability of the ECU to control the boost, bad fuel+high boost & your toast. IMHO,but then again what do i know
I thought on the EVO cars, the ECU automatically adjusted boost depending on fuel. If you run 93, lets say it boost 1.1 and if you use 100, it'll boost 1.3 or something like that. No?

Old 02-01-2007, 07:20 PM
Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !
One thing I do know is that in the Porsche community the blow motor is a pretty rare occurance, while in the VQ3.5 community (Nissan/Infinity) blown motors on stock internall that have aftermarket FI are tragically common. The rods on the VQ are pencil thin while the Porsche TT's are, for OEM, relatively stout.

That is why I put a V-Pro (top of the line) engine managment in my G35. I was going to build the motor and put a Greddy Kit on it. However, my GT2 came along and I never Turboed the G. I still have the Knock Amp in my glove compartment however.

Old 02-01-2007, 07:21 PM
Does the BC control different files or does it control maximum boost allowed?

Old 02-01-2007, 07:23 PM
Basic Sponsor
markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by topgun
I think no? Again when you take away the ability of the ECU to control the boost, bad fuel+high boost & your toast. IMHO,but then again what do i know
I had GIAC with a race file and I ran a constant boost setting... It never adjusted boost except Shut down the TB at 1.3 bars...
So as much as we think that motronics control the boost... if that was the case then why the Giac programs ran only one boost setting... and now offer a WG upgrade spring that I had over 2 years ago... hhhmmm to run more boost? to hold it? if the ecu could do it then GIAC would have done it...
jsut my opinion.. not picking on giac nor anyone else.
mark

click to view

Old 02-01-2007, 07:24 PM
SMR
SMR is a jewel in the roughSMR is a jewel in the roughSMR is a jewel in the roughSMR is a jewel in the rough
Thats what I was thinking. Im sure there's a reason Todd makes em like that.
Everybody has there own way, and Todd feels this is the best for him and he likes this i think...i see the + and the -

I have also heard that is very hard to get the OEM boostcontrol to work as wished so may people go for BC instead, do not know if this is the case here

Old 02-01-2007, 07:25 PM
Basic Sponsor

One file programmed across the map for different boost....
just like in my Autronik stand alone...

click to view

Old 02-01-2007, 07:27 PM
SMR
SMR is a jewel in the roughSMR is a jewel in the roughSMR is a jewel in the roughSMR is a jewel in the rough
Its a regular Greddy profec B that has nothing to do with the ECU, if my meomory is right

Old 02-01-2007, 07:29 PM
SMR
Originally Posted by MARKSKI
Do you use a BC to the Autronic or the Autronic BC valve, are you running a PaP autronic unit or do you run a SM4 that is hard wired, i like the Autronic BC valve and then control the boost in the software

Old 02-01-2007, 07:31 PM
So if this is the case, if boost is set at high and fuel isnt compensating, wouldnt the ECU prevent from boosting too high ( as the ECU can tell from the amount of timing retarded ) even though its set at high boost? Or am I not getting it?

Old 02-01-2007, 07:32 PM
Originally Posted by SMR
Do you use a BC to the Autronic or the Autronic BC valve, are you running a PaP autronic unit or do you run a SM4 that is hard wired, i like the Autronic BC valve and then control the boost in the software
I wonder if its wired like the Audi's where BC is hooked up in parallel with the N75 valve?

Old 02-01-2007, 07:33 PM
topgun Is a GOD !topgun Is a GOD !topgun Is a GOD !topgun Is a GOD !topgun Is a GOD !topgun Is a GOD !topgun Is a GOD !topgun Is a GOD !topgun Is a GOD !topgun Is a GOD !topgun Is a GOD !
With all do respect, Did you just said one file across the map!! You also said the ECU doesn't know what fuel!! So it uses the same map for Diff octane fuels .

Old 02-01-2007, 07:35 PM
Basic Sponsor
Originally Posted by SMR
Yes I know about the autronic BC valve... no Im using the greddy just liek in the P car. My tuner used to do rally cars,, he is good.
Im not sure which box it is but it just snaps into the exisiting harness behind the glove box...

click to view

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Thanks Protomotive!