997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

Mezger vs Newer

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-31-2014, 11:08 AM
acf
acf is a splendid one to beholdacf is a splendid one to beholdacf is a splendid one to beholdacf is a splendid one to beholdacf is a splendid one to beholdacf is a splendid one to beholdacf is a splendid one to behold
Resurrecting this thread from the past. Now that a few years have passed, do we have a consensus on this debate?

Old 01-31-2014, 01:57 PM
NY6SPEEDER has much to be proud ofNY6SPEEDER has much to be proud ofNY6SPEEDER has much to be proud ofNY6SPEEDER has much to be proud ofNY6SPEEDER has much to be proud ofNY6SPEEDER has much to be proud ofNY6SPEEDER has much to be proud ofNY6SPEEDER has much to be proud ofNY6SPEEDER has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by aaronchanfilms
Resurrecting this thread from the past. Now that a few years have passed, do we have a consensus on this debate?
Good man! I like what you did there. Lets see what owners/tuners have to say seeing as how its almost 5 years after the last Mezger engine.

Old 01-31-2014, 03:53 PM
acf
acf is a splendid one to beholdacf is a splendid one to beholdacf is a splendid one to beholdacf is a splendid one to beholdacf is a splendid one to beholdacf is a splendid one to beholdacf is a splendid one to behold
Where's the like button on here?

Yup, hopefully there's some real info out there now!

Originally Posted by NY6SPEEDER
Good man! I like what you did there. Lets see what owners/tuners have to say seeing as how its almost 5 years after the last Mezger engine.

Old 01-31-2014, 07:07 PM
lightning4570 is a jewel in the roughlightning4570 is a jewel in the roughlightning4570 is a jewel in the rough
Great time to revive the thread. New 911 racer just took 1st in GTLM class @ last weekend's Rolex 24, and by now everybody knows the 991TTs are only coming with an upgraded PDK. 997.2TT has been out 3 yrs….

Last edited by lightning4570; 01-31-2014 at 07:12 PM.
Old 01-31-2014, 08:30 PM
Zero911 is a name known to allZero911 is a name known to allZero911 is a name known to allZero911 is a name known to allZero911 is a name known to allZero911 is a name known to all
I don't think much has changed

* Tuners still won't go above 650-700bhp on the DFI
* Big horsepower builds use the Mezger exclusively
* The 997.2 Turbo with little to no mods is still wickedly fast with PDK
* Still haven't seen anything about a blown DFI engine (at least I don't think I have)

I personally don't think the "Mezger Turbos will hold value" really played out. Quick scan on cars.com shows the normal depreciation Mezger or no Mezger and I think this is because barring high horsepower builds, the average/normal consumer could care less and prefers the updated look of the 997.2. Then again, we need to wait much longer for this to play out. Perhaps another 10 years when "classic" enters the discussion.

On another note the new 991 GT3 uses a 3.8L DFI.

Old 01-31-2014, 10:36 PM
docboy has a reputation beyond reputedocboy has a reputation beyond reputedocboy has a reputation beyond reputedocboy has a reputation beyond reputedocboy has a reputation beyond reputedocboy has a reputation beyond reputedocboy has a reputation beyond reputedocboy has a reputation beyond reputedocboy has a reputation beyond reputedocboy has a reputation beyond reputedocboy has a reputation beyond repute
*popcorn*

I'm too eager to see if any new info has risen on engine reliability in the 997.1tt vs 997.2tt

Old 02-01-2014, 02:23 AM
DoninDEN has a reputation beyond reputeDoninDEN has a reputation beyond reputeDoninDEN has a reputation beyond reputeDoninDEN has a reputation beyond reputeDoninDEN has a reputation beyond reputeDoninDEN has a reputation beyond reputeDoninDEN has a reputation beyond reputeDoninDEN has a reputation beyond reputeDoninDEN has a reputation beyond reputeDoninDEN has a reputation beyond reputeDoninDEN has a reputation beyond repute
Subscribed.

Old 02-01-2014, 11:22 AM
cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Zero911
I don't think much has changed

* Tuners still won't go above 650-700bhp on the DFI
* Big horsepower builds use the Mezger exclusively
* The 997.2 Turbo with little to no mods is still wickedly fast with PDK
* Still haven't seen anything about a blown DFI engine (at least I don't think I have)

I personally don't think the "Mezger Turbos will hold value" really played out. Quick scan on cars.com shows the normal depreciation Mezger or no Mezger and I think this is because barring high horsepower builds, the average/normal consumer could care less and prefers the updated look of the 997.2. Then again, we need to wait much longer for this to play out. Perhaps another 10 years when "classic" enters the discussion.

On another note the new 991 GT3 uses a 3.8L DFI.
Excellent summary, time has shown both 997.1 and 997.2 to be excellent cars, and above post pretty much sums it up.

My experience with my manual 997 Turbo (applicable to both 997.1 and 997.2): I love every second that I drive this car. It did need to have Bilstein for me to keep it but now that it does, it is to me the epitome of a world class daily driver, and weekend car. For me, there is nothing on the market that could match it. Go for it, Aaron!

Old 02-01-2014, 11:51 AM
imcarnuts Is a GOD !imcarnuts Is a GOD !imcarnuts Is a GOD !imcarnuts Is a GOD !imcarnuts Is a GOD !imcarnuts Is a GOD !imcarnuts Is a GOD !imcarnuts Is a GOD !imcarnuts Is a GOD !imcarnuts Is a GOD !imcarnuts Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by aaronchanfilms
Where's the like button on here?
It's called reputation and I just "liked" by leaving you a positive rep for your resurrection of this thread.

Old 02-01-2014, 11:59 AM
acf
Hah! So there is

Originally Posted by imcarnuts
It's called reputation and I just "liked" by leaving you a positive rep for your resurrection of this thread.

Old 02-01-2014, 12:00 PM
acf
Cannga - it's already done!

Originally Posted by cannga
Excellent summary, time has shown both 997.1 and 997.2 to be excellent cars, and above post pretty much sums it up.

My experience with my manual 997 Turbo (applicable to both 997.1 and 997.2): I love every second that I drive this car. It did need to have Bilstein for me to keep it but now that it does, it is to me the epitome of a world class daily driver, and weekend car. For me, there is nothing on the market that could match it. Go for it, Aaron!

Old 02-01-2014, 06:36 PM
ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !
One interesting thing out there. A number of cars with over 40k miles, no stories of carbon build up, unlike an rs4 for example. Seems to be a noted problem with dfi engines. It seems that the .2 dfi has not been affected.

Also seems to be a lack of catastrophic failures, which is great. It is interesting that the turbo is often a daily and many examples get more mileage than normal 997s, so your really get a sense of longevity.

Old 02-01-2014, 06:49 PM
supbimm6 is a glorious beacon of lightsupbimm6 is a glorious beacon of lightsupbimm6 is a glorious beacon of lightsupbimm6 is a glorious beacon of lightsupbimm6 is a glorious beacon of lightsupbimm6 is a glorious beacon of light
Originally Posted by cannga

Im a fan man I love your passion and enthusiasm for your car.......makes me feel even better about my purchase

Old 02-01-2014, 09:16 PM
Mit_Boost has a brilliant futureMit_Boost has a brilliant futureMit_Boost has a brilliant futureMit_Boost has a brilliant futureMit_Boost has a brilliant futureMit_Boost has a brilliant futureMit_Boost has a brilliant futureMit_Boost has a brilliant futureMit_Boost has a brilliant futureMit_Boost has a brilliant futureMit_Boost has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by ryem3
One interesting thing out there. A number of cars with over 40k miles, no stories of carbon build up, unlike an rs4 for example. Seems to be a noted problem with dfi engines. It seems that the .2 dfi has not been affected.
This is very interesting. I know that carbon build up on the intake valves is a big issue with the BMW N54s, becoming almost routine maintenance every 50k miles.

Does anyone have a higher mileage 997.2 or know of an intake valve cleaning being done on the newer DFI motors pr recommended by the dealers with the new 991 GT3?

Old 02-11-2014, 08:44 AM
Poyo is on a distinguished road
OK, so let's see if I get this right:

The P-Cars that had the Mezger engine were GT1, all GT3's (996 & 997 including RS), all GT2's (996 & 997 including RS) and all Turbos up to and including 997.1 Turbo? And, aside the GT1, then in years one could get a Mezger engine from 1999 up to 2009 (for Turbo) and 2014 for GT3. Is all this correct?

Cheers,

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Mezger vs Newer