Notices
997 Turbo / GT2 20062012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.

Mezger vs Newer

Old 02-20-2014, 10:44 AM
akunob has a reputation beyond reputeakunob has a reputation beyond reputeakunob has a reputation beyond reputeakunob has a reputation beyond reputeakunob has a reputation beyond reputeakunob has a reputation beyond reputeakunob has a reputation beyond reputeakunob has a reputation beyond reputeakunob has a reputation beyond reputeakunob has a reputation beyond reputeakunob has a reputation beyond repute
Reminiscent of the early troubles with the 458 Italia...I hope the fix is as minor and as quick!! Not good news for Porsche A.G.

Old 02-20-2014, 12:39 PM
K24F has a reputation beyond reputeK24F has a reputation beyond reputeK24F has a reputation beyond reputeK24F has a reputation beyond reputeK24F has a reputation beyond reputeK24F has a reputation beyond reputeK24F has a reputation beyond reputeK24F has a reputation beyond reputeK24F has a reputation beyond reputeK24F has a reputation beyond reputeK24F has a reputation beyond repute
I heard from some Porsche staff that the guilty could be the water/oil cooler which could leak on the oil side and start the fire on the high temperature confined engine.

Old 02-20-2014, 01:21 PM
Steve K ny has a reputation beyond reputeSteve K ny has a reputation beyond reputeSteve K ny has a reputation beyond reputeSteve K ny has a reputation beyond reputeSteve K ny has a reputation beyond reputeSteve K ny has a reputation beyond reputeSteve K ny has a reputation beyond reputeSteve K ny has a reputation beyond reputeSteve K ny has a reputation beyond reputeSteve K ny has a reputation beyond reputeSteve K ny has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by lightning4570 View Post
Great time to revive the thread. New 911 racer just took 1st in GTLM class @ last weekend's Rolex 24, and by now everybody knows the 991TTs are only coming with an upgraded PDK. 997.2TT has been out 3 yrs….

the gt3 race cars use the metzger motor not the new one.
same mezger with a new air shift transmission.

Old 02-20-2014, 01:28 PM
yah996 will become famous soon enoughyah996 will become famous soon enough
Originally Posted by K24F View Post
I heard from some Porsche staff that the guilty could be the water/oil cooler which could leak on the oil side and start the fire on the high temperature confined engine.

Leak? Yes that is true. You can see trough the leak the crank...

The "rods?" (german pleuel) breaking under load are destroying the complete engine... Oil sprays around on the hot cylinders and burning up the complete car. Porsche say no problem, we will fix it. But and pls leave your car in the garage. And wait for towing......

991 GT3 is now a time bomb. Why this guys learned not from the Mezger engine. Euro 5 Norm "emission" was the dead for the Mezger. P. decided do not a DFI for this block.

Last edited by yah996; 02-20-2014 at 01:39 PM.
Old 03-26-2014, 12:36 PM
Poyo is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by Poyo View Post

Thank you all!

So, from my original post (above) all is correct except that in years, the Mezger engine was used up until 2013 with the last GT3.
I think that one 911"GT" was left out: the GTS, which don't have the Mezger engine but the same A1 as the 997.2 911's.

Cheers.

Old 03-26-2014, 01:27 PM
michaeldantep has much to be proud ofmichaeldantep has much to be proud ofmichaeldantep has much to be proud ofmichaeldantep has much to be proud ofmichaeldantep has much to be proud ofmichaeldantep has much to be proud ofmichaeldantep has much to be proud ofmichaeldantep has much to be proud ofmichaeldantep has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by jamuz View Post
guys, racing is a tough comparison cause in pro racing where cost really isn't an issue, porsche uses a LOT of stuff that doesn't appear on my beloved 997.1 modded tt or on ANY road going model, including the car it's homologated off of, the 3.8 gt3: sequential dogbox, suspension, c/f fenders, exhaust, batteries, and i'm guessing radiators too, to name a few. i'm sure the tranny on my tt would blow up in a 24hr race too but i didn't consider that when i bot the car. the RSR is about BALANCE between mechanical grip, aero grip, and power/endurance, very little of which is available to us on the street, and that balance is to win races at the limit. i'm no wetsumper, but pounding the unfort few who bot 997.2 tt's or pdk junkies sounds oddly like aircooled guys saying watercooling would be the end of the 911. face it, road cars are ALL very soft in many ways vs a true race car and will never compare nicely, and if u think your 997.1 tt is a modern gt1, i beg u to go stand next to one and say it again with a straight face! street cars are about economics, and selling a piece of the dream to fat old dudes at the highest price to fund the company, hence the weird panamera and the cayenne assault on the world, and yes the boxster entry level money maker. WAKE UP. if not, why sell c2, c2s, c4s, TURBO CAB??? it's all about marketing to the masses which has been smoke and mirrors since day 1.

ps. please cheer on lizards at petit, 997 RSR has overcome incredible odds to nearly win a HUGE championship for Porsche!!!!
I love my turbo cab. I don't want to race my car, but I love reading the "who's best?" content. I'm good with having a new look car with 500 plus HP for now. To me it's still a rocket, but I have only had a turbo for 2 weeks. I'm sure the 991 second gen will approach 600 HP stock or at least the S will.

Last edited by michaeldantep; 03-27-2014 at 09:23 AM.
Old 03-23-2016, 05:12 AM
S4corrado996TT is just really niceS4corrado996TT is just really niceS4corrado996TT is just really niceS4corrado996TT is just really niceS4corrado996TT is just really nice
Subscribed!

Old 03-23-2016, 10:47 AM
turboslut has a brilliant futureturboslut has a brilliant futureturboslut has a brilliant futureturboslut has a brilliant futureturboslut has a brilliant futureturboslut has a brilliant futureturboslut has a brilliant futureturboslut has a brilliant futureturboslut has a brilliant futureturboslut has a brilliant futureturboslut has a brilliant future
I think this is the first year that Porsche is racing with the DFI engines...

https://newsroom.porsche.com/en/moto...ech-12339.html

Old 03-23-2016, 03:16 PM
au2bahn has a reputation beyond reputeau2bahn has a reputation beyond reputeau2bahn has a reputation beyond reputeau2bahn has a reputation beyond reputeau2bahn has a reputation beyond reputeau2bahn has a reputation beyond reputeau2bahn has a reputation beyond reputeau2bahn has a reputation beyond reputeau2bahn has a reputation beyond reputeau2bahn has a reputation beyond reputeau2bahn has a reputation beyond repute
From what i remember last year at Rolex 24, the GTLM RSR cars (911 & 912) were the same as this year.

We do Porsche hospitality each year. It's cool meeting the drivers Friday before the race. Nick Tandy is a really cool guy. Very humble person.

Old 03-23-2016, 04:11 PM
turboslut has a brilliant futureturboslut has a brilliant futureturboslut has a brilliant futureturboslut has a brilliant futureturboslut has a brilliant futureturboslut has a brilliant futureturboslut has a brilliant futureturboslut has a brilliant futureturboslut has a brilliant futureturboslut has a brilliant futureturboslut has a brilliant future
you are right...looks like GTD class car now runs the DFI engine..

https://newsroom.porsche.com/en/moto...016-12142.html

Not sure when GTLM class cars began doing so.

Originally Posted by au2bahn View Post
From what i remember last year at Rolex 24, the GTLM RSR cars (911 & 912) were the same as this year.

We do Porsche hospitality each year. It's cool meeting the drivers Friday before the race. Nick Tandy is a really cool guy. Very humble person.

Old 03-23-2016, 05:42 PM
au2bahn has a reputation beyond reputeau2bahn has a reputation beyond reputeau2bahn has a reputation beyond reputeau2bahn has a reputation beyond reputeau2bahn has a reputation beyond reputeau2bahn has a reputation beyond reputeau2bahn has a reputation beyond reputeau2bahn has a reputation beyond reputeau2bahn has a reputation beyond reputeau2bahn has a reputation beyond reputeau2bahn has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by turboslut View Post
you are right...looks like GTD class car now runs the DFI engine.. https://newsroom.porsche.com/en/moto...016-12142.html Not sure when GTLM class cars began doing so.
Yeah. Patrick Dempsey was in GTD class last year and definitely 991 DFI. He got third.

Old 03-23-2016, 05:45 PM
GTLM DFI started last year I believe. This pic is from this year but the same car from last year. I also saw the infamous Hurley Haywood this year.

Attached Images  

Last edited by au2bahn; 03-23-2016 at 06:33 PM.
Old 03-23-2016, 08:33 PM
somefoo1 is a glorious beacon of lightsomefoo1 is a glorious beacon of lightsomefoo1 is a glorious beacon of lightsomefoo1 is a glorious beacon of lightsomefoo1 is a glorious beacon of lightsomefoo1 is a glorious beacon of light
OK, i don't know a whole lot about the DFI engine. I do know that what i'm reading is the limited hp isn't because the bottom end can't handle the power but because the fuel system can't supply enough fuel for much more and no one has fixed that yet.

I don't like that it's wet sump if that's true. It seems stupid Oiling issues are the cause of most engine failures and having a dry sump is the best way to make sure an engine doesn't have oiling issues.

This picture however catches the attention of the engineer-nerd in me (enginerd).

You can see the 997.2 and 991 rods middle and left actually have more "meat" around the rod bearing. This is a good sign, but not what got my attention most.

What got my attention is the difference in rod length... i didn't know the mezger had such short stubby rods. Usually short rods mean a crappy rod ratio which usually means A LOT more stress on the rod. I know the mezger is 3.6 with a 99.1mm bore and a 76.2 stroke.
I know the DFI engine is a 3.8 but i don't know the actual bore and stroke of it. If they increased the stroke then that rod ratio may not have changed but if they bored it like most people do to the mezger that could be interesting.

Also does anyone know if any of the big bore kits use a shorter piston and longer rod to straighten that rod out some or is the deeeep skirt piston really that necessary?