997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

possible Gearbox/Clutch problem

Old 03-19-2010, 05:07 PM
geestyleed is on a distinguished road
Thumbs down possible Gearbox/Clutch problem

Hi guys,
I have probably a problem with my gearbox. Mostly with the first two gears. Perhaps it is my inability to drive a manual, but I had serval manuals car before and I have never noticed such rough gear changes there.

Occuring problems:
1.) Shifting from the first to the second gear is bumpy and sometimes it makes the cracking sound as if you dont press the clutch.
2.) In the Stop and go traffic it is often difficult to get the first gear while rolling or standing. Only when I tries other gears before, the first one works properly.
3.) Shifting back from thrid to second is also sometimes bumpy, but not as bad as first to second.

These problems occur with cold and warm gearbox. I dont have these problem always, but pretty often and it just doesnt feel right....Shifting from the second to the third(and all the other gears) is no problem.

The car has 23.000 mls and it is a standard 2005 Carrera. No short shifter or other engine mods.

I will make another test drive tomorrow to make sure that it is not just me or my imagination...

Does anybody else had or has this problem?

I hope at least this is covered by the "awesome" Certified Warranty....

Thanks guys,
gee

Old 03-19-2010, 06:18 PM
utkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by geestyleed
Hi guys,
I have probably a problem with my gearbox. Mostly with the first two gears. Perhaps it is my inability to drive a manual, but I had serval manuals car before and I have never noticed such rough gear changes there.

Occuring problems:
1.) Shifting from the first to the second gear is bumpy and sometimes it makes the cracking sound as if you dont press the clutch.
2.) In the Stop and go traffic it is often difficult to get the first gear while rolling or standing. Only when I tries other gears before, the first one works properly.
3.) Shifting back from thrid to second is also sometimes bumpy, but not as bad as first to second.

These problems occur with cold and warm gearbox. I dont have these problem always, but pretty often and it just doesnt feel right....Shifting from the second to the third(and all the other gears) is no problem.

The car has 23.000 mls and it is a standard 2005 Carrera. No short shifter or other engine mods.

I will make another test drive tomorrow to make sure that it is not just me or my imagination...

Does anybody else had or has this problem?

I hope at least this is covered by the "awesome" Certified Warranty....

Thanks guys,
gee
I have certain feeling you did not get accustomed with your car yet. For how long do you drive it? Give it 3-4 months at least and you will get used to gearbox.

As of engaging 1st gear while rolling - well, it seems to be a common problem. you can try to escalate to dealership but it is easier to push into 2nd gear and then into 1st when you need to engage 1st gear. For me it works like a charm this way - second then first. When clutch pedal is all the way down you should not hear any noises.

Not sure what you mean by 'bumpy' but get it some time, if you have faulty syncros it will show up very soon.

Old 05-06-2015, 06:45 PM
zegm is on a distinguished road
Second gear shifting not feeling right

We just picked up a 2007 Carrera for my wife. It has 66k miles and is in very good shape but the second gear shift feels a little notchy. Now I know that in any manual transmission car second is going to be the first to go. My question is does Redline MTL help this issue. I have used it in BMW's in the past and it was like a syncro in a can. However my son has a BMW E46 M3 and it didn't help at all. Second question, BMW does not sell syncros anymore so I had to purchase a rebuilt gearbox for 4500 dollars. Of course my son and I swapped them and he is now much nicer to his shift lever. But the question now is Are the parts available and are there shops out there that can do the job (rebuild or just install a syncro)? Luckily my wife (she has only ever owned manuals) hasn't complained yet, but she could shift her old 915 gearbox in her 82 SC when I couldn't even get it in gear so maybe she has the touch. It does go right in but it feels notchy, not right to me.

Old 05-06-2015, 07:48 PM
Jeller is on a distinguished road
My first to second gear was not good with my car either, bought it last year with 17K on it only. It was really bothering me and while I was getting an wheel alignment I Had the local dealer adjust the shift cables, per his recommendation, he said they have done it on quite a few cars with good success. It's not soo much of an adjustment but more so resetting them. They use the shifter alignment tool and reset the cables to the correct position, tech said one of mine was wayy out of wack as if someone had taken it apart and not assembled it correctly or it was not right from the start. In the end the shifting is much better and improved for sure. Still not as good as my audi or bmw was, but the adjustment did help alot.

Here is a link to some pics to get a better understanding of what was done on my car http://rennlist.com/forums/997-forum...placement.html

Edit: and in regards to fluid, every thread I read on here says OEM only, most do not have good reviews by changing to aftermarket.

Last edited by Jeller; 05-06-2015 at 07:53 PM.
Old 05-07-2015, 04:57 AM
FlaHeel is a glorious beacon of lightFlaHeel is a glorious beacon of lightFlaHeel is a glorious beacon of lightFlaHeel is a glorious beacon of lightFlaHeel is a glorious beacon of lightFlaHeel is a glorious beacon of light
First gear has been an issue with the 911 since I can remember, the 2nd gear thing not so sure.

Old 05-07-2015, 05:04 AM
porschelady is just really niceporschelady is just really niceporschelady is just really niceporschelady is just really niceporschelady is just really nice
Second is fine on wife's '08 C4 but 1st is sometimes difficult until transmission has warmed up. Much more noticeable when in sport mode.

Old 05-07-2015, 07:16 AM
The previous owner of the car had just purchased a brand new center console and a GT3 parking brake handle but had not installed them yet. Since I will be installing these items and the car has 66k miles it makes sense to purchase new shifter cables and install them and see if that helps. I think I will also try Red Line MTL in the transmission. Any one here try it yet? It works great on worn BMW syncros so I will give it a try.

Old 05-07-2015, 07:39 AM
cool flash is on a distinguished road
possible Gearbox/Clutch problem

i had exactly the same probs with my 2010 997.

Old 05-07-2015, 07:43 AM
PTParks Is a GOD !PTParks Is a GOD !PTParks Is a GOD !PTParks Is a GOD !PTParks Is a GOD !PTParks Is a GOD !PTParks Is a GOD !PTParks Is a GOD !PTParks Is a GOD !PTParks Is a GOD !PTParks Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by zegm
The previous owner of the car had just purchased a brand new center console and a GT3 parking brake handle but had not installed them yet. Since I will be installing these items and the car has 66k miles it makes sense to purchase new shifter cables and install them and see if that helps. I think I will also try Red Line MTL in the transmission. Any one here try it yet? It works great on worn BMW syncros so I will give it a try.
I think I would instead try something like Motul instead of Red Line. Nothing against Red Line but Motul is definately a higher quality product.

Old 05-07-2015, 09:50 AM
Originally Posted by PTParks
I think I would instead try something like Motul instead of Red Line. Nothing against Red Line but Motul is definately a higher quality product.
I think that is a good idea. I did try Red Line in my son's M3 and it didn't make a difference like it did in the old BMWs. Now his car uses ATF in the manual box (like all BMWs for the last 15 years or so) but I purchased the Motul and it did seem to make a difference. Worst case the syncro is bad anyone had one changed and what was the cost?

Old 05-07-2015, 09:57 AM
cool flash is on a distinguished road
My indy quoted me 2800€ to repair the synchros. Parts are available since some time.

An exchange transmission from Porsche would have been 4800 plus install.

Regards,

CF

Old 05-07-2015, 05:54 PM
Basic Sponsor
PelicanParts.com has a reputation beyond reputePelicanParts.com has a reputation beyond reputePelicanParts.com has a reputation beyond reputePelicanParts.com has a reputation beyond reputePelicanParts.com has a reputation beyond reputePelicanParts.com has a reputation beyond reputePelicanParts.com has a reputation beyond reputePelicanParts.com has a reputation beyond reputePelicanParts.com has a reputation beyond reputePelicanParts.com has a reputation beyond reputePelicanParts.com has a reputation beyond repute
Might be able to read up on the clutch a bit more here in this Tech Article.

-Luccia

888.280.7799 | 6am - 5pm PST
Old 05-13-2015, 02:24 PM
carlosah is on a distinguished road
I have the same on my 2006 997.1. Have had the car a couple of years and it always seems to be worse in cold weather. I called the dealer to get an appointment for tranny fluid flush and the tech said it is normal on Porsches, no need to worry. Also had the best indy in town check it and said the same. I normally just take it very easy until the car warms up. All shifts are great once warm.

Old 05-16-2015, 01:24 PM
Miami4me has much to be proud ofMiami4me has much to be proud ofMiami4me has much to be proud ofMiami4me has much to be proud ofMiami4me has much to be proud ofMiami4me has much to be proud ofMiami4me has much to be proud ofMiami4me has much to be proud ofMiami4me has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by PelicanParts.com
Might be able to read up on the clutch a bit more here in this Tech Article. -Luccia
Good article on changing a clutch, but it doesn't address shifting gears.

I have a SSK, which seems to compound the difficulty of shifting into first. As noted above, the best workaround seems to be to put the car into second, and then shift into first.

Old 05-22-2015, 07:45 PM
I received the new shift cables and after talking to Sun Coast Porsche I ordered the Mobile Synthetic Fluid used in the GT3. I have the center console off and the cables exposed. Tomorrow I will change them and the fluid and report back. Funny thing or maybe its a woman's touch but my wife has no trouble with second gear.