Aston Martin DB7, DB9, DBS, Vantage V8, Vanquish, and Classic models

Updated Steering Rack

Old 01-09-2014, 12:28 PM
akshon is on a distinguished road
Updated Steering Rack

The 2012 Vantage S has a quicker steering rack installed. I believe its a new steering rack and power steering pump. I think it became standard on the 2013 or 2014 models and also on the v12 s.

Any one know if it would be difficult to retrofit on earlier models?
Worth the cost?

Any one upgrade from a 2006-2011 v8 to a S or 2013 and up comment on whether the change is drastic? Front end should be more pointy and feel a lot lighter. The magazines/reviews seem to always make a comment about the steering and how bad the ss tranny feels.

thanks

Old 01-09-2014, 01:41 PM
mikey k is a name known to allmikey k is a name known to allmikey k is a name known to allmikey k is a name known to allmikey k is a name known to allmikey k is a name known to all
Originally Posted by akshon
The 2012 Vantage S has a quicker steering rack installed. I believe its a new steering rack and power steering pump. I think it became standard on the 2013 or 2014 models and also on the v12 s.

Worth the cost?

Any one upgrade from a 2006-2011 v8 to a S or 2013 and up comment on whether the change is drastic? Front end should be more pointy and feel a lot lighter. The magazines/reviews seem to always make a comment about the steering and how bad the ss tranny feels.

thanks
I went from and ASM1 "slow" rack 4.7 roadster to the 2011 Vantage S roadster with ASM2 and the "quick" rack
The new rack makes back roads much much more interesting, turn in is much quicker and corrections respond quicker
Combined with the massive improvement in ASM2 the Vantage is transformed, my S was like a completely different car!

Old 01-09-2014, 02:39 PM
Basic Sponsor
Stuart@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Stuart@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Stuart@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Stuart@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Stuart@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Stuart@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Stuart@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Stuart@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Stuart@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Stuart@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Stuart@VelocityAP Is a GOD !

Worth the cost?

thanks
http://www.velocityap.com/SearchResu...&Submit=Search

We can supply if you are interested. Ground shipping from USA should be pretty low.

206 Maple Avenue
Oliver, BC
Canada V2A 4W6
Office: (1)250-485-5126
www.velocityap.com
Old 01-09-2014, 03:07 PM
007 Vantage has much to be proud of007 Vantage has much to be proud of007 Vantage has much to be proud of007 Vantage has much to be proud of007 Vantage has much to be proud of007 Vantage has much to be proud of007 Vantage has much to be proud of007 Vantage has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by mikey k
I went from and ASM1 "slow" rack 4.7 roadster to the 2011 Vantage S roadster with ASM2 and the "quick" rack
The new rack makes back roads much much more interesting, turn in is much quicker and corrections respond quicker
Combined with the massive improvement in ASM2 the Vantage is transformed, my S was like a completely different car!
Hey Mikey,

How intensive of a project was it to switch from the slow rack to the fast one? I wouldn't mind doing this. I wasn't even away you could upgrade to the 15:1 fast rack, from the slower 17:1 slow rack

Old 01-09-2014, 04:11 PM
karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !
^^^^ It was a very intensive project. He actually swapped out all the parts and pieces of the car and converted it to a full Vantage S. Of course the AM factory, dealer, and bank did all the work.

Old 01-09-2014, 08:20 PM
Basic Sponsor
Stuart@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Stuart@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Stuart@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Stuart@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Stuart@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Stuart@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Stuart@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Stuart@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Stuart@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Stuart@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Stuart@VelocityAP Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by karlfranz
^^^^ It was a very intensive project. He actually swapped out all the parts and pieces of the car and converted it to a full Vantage S. Of course the AM factory, dealer, and bank did all the work.
Well played Sir...

206 Maple Avenue
Oliver, BC
Canada V2A 4W6
www.velocityap.com
Old 01-10-2014, 10:04 AM
fbiguy is on a distinguished road
I had an 09 V8V and now have a '11 V8VS and the difference is fairly dramatic. I haven't tracked it but the curves I have at my disposal are much more enjoyable now. It actually encourages me to attempt higher speeds because it feels so solid. I have resisted in the interest of self preservation, but I very much like the newer steering.

Old 01-10-2014, 12:10 PM
telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by 007 Vantage
Hey Mikey,

How intensive of a project was it to switch from the slow rack to the fast one? I wouldn't mind doing this. I wasn't even away you could upgrade to the 15:1 fast rack, from the slower 17:1 slow rack
He traded cars, not steering racks.

Looks pretty demanding to swap the rack. It's a 58-step process just to remove the original rack and another 55 steps to install the new one. Even includes draining your oil (to remove the oil tank, which has to be done).

Old 01-10-2014, 12:15 PM
akshon is on a distinguished road
How many hours shop time would you guys guess to swap?

Stuart is that link for every part needed?

Old 01-10-2014, 10:48 PM
Speedraser has much to be proud ofSpeedraser has much to be proud ofSpeedraser has much to be proud ofSpeedraser has much to be proud ofSpeedraser has much to be proud ofSpeedraser has much to be proud ofSpeedraser has much to be proud ofSpeedraser has much to be proud of
The quicker rack is very nice, but IMO the "slower" rack is great also, and the steering feel is at least as good. Don't get me wrong, the quicker ratio does make for a pointier feel, but I really don't think it would be even close to being worth the effort and cost.

Mikey, I have to think the "transformation" you reference was largely due to the gearbox improvement -- yes?

Old 01-11-2014, 12:25 PM
mikey k is a name known to allmikey k is a name known to allmikey k is a name known to allmikey k is a name known to allmikey k is a name known to allmikey k is a name known to all
Originally Posted by Speedraser
Mikey, I have to think the "transformation" you reference was largely due to the gearbox improvement -- yes?
The transformation is due to three factors - ASM2, the rack and the suspension, they all contribute to it feeling much better than my sport pack ASM1 4.7. The slow rack used to annoy me as I was used to faster racks in previous cars and it just didn't turn in quick enough for my liking.

Old 01-11-2014, 10:58 PM
Basic Sponsor
How many hours shop time would you guys guess to swap?

Stuart is that link for every part needed?
That's just a link to the rack. I'd need to do a little research to confirm if anything else is required.

206 Maple Avenue
Oliver, BC
Canada V2A 4W6
www.velocityap.com